The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 11, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1
threebs

fold down front sight rail

I have a bushmaster m4 that I wanted to put a fold down front sight on. I purchased a m4 that has a front sight "base" basically to hold the hand guard cap in place. I think I have found a front sight rail that fits over (?) the front sight base (with the bayonet lug). I cannot determine if the unit I am buying does what I want, as the photo shows the unit "assembled". Is the front sight base removable? I see taper pins that hold the base tight, but I cannot determine if the base is part of the hand guard cap, or worse, integral to the barrel The Thermoset hand gaurd is removable, but it has a spring in it and it is recommended that a "buddy" help you with this step. So, I am afraid if I remove the cap guard, I will have the thermoset hand guard "explode" apart on me? True? Can I drive the taper pins out and slide the "base" off?
Old May 11, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Can you provide a link to the handguards you are looking at?
Old May 12, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
threebs

I am looking at the exploded drawings in my Bushmaster instruction manual. I would imagine it is available on the Bushmaster web site? I will take a look and see if they have instruction manuals on line?
Old May 12, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
threebs

http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic...l/opmanual.pdf
Page 54 shows the front assembly. I do not have the front sight, only the bayonet base that is held on (?) by the taper pins. It looks like the base holds the hand rail cape in place. I have looked at picaninny front sight rails, And a three d view seems to indicate that the bayonet base must be removed and the front site rail takes place of the bayonet base to hold the hand rail cap in place. Does it look like it to you? Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated!
Old May 12, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

It depends on which rail you use.

If you take a dremel tool or other cutter to your front sight base and cut the bayonet lug and sling swivel off, you have a low profile gas block which should fit under 95% or more of longer rail systems.

I run a LaRue 10" system on a carbine, which has the gas block 7" away from the receiver. No issues, and I can use whatever aftermarket sights I want...