The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 1, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
JohnH1963

A badge to go with your concealed carry permit

I have seen these badges at gun shows and on popular websites. Someone out there is taking the trouble of making the badges and probably someone is buying them. They wouldnt make them if someone wasnt a buyer.

http://www.center-fire.com/ccwbadge/default.htm

Does anyone here have one of these badges? Do you think you might get in some trouble if you start flashing it around? I think the permit with your identification is sufficient enough to get whatever point your trying to make across. Has anyone ever seen anyone else flash one of these badges?
Old January 1, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

I would never carry one. Long ago, the state police departments where I lived and served used to give "I Served" badges to officer's leaving the force. They where something for shadowboxing and hanging on your wall. They would actually caution you when presenting them to not carry them because of risk of being accused of impersonating an active LEO.
Old January 1, 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
JohnH1963

I think the departments around here provide a badge and credentials to retired officers. Usually, these are the officers that served out 20+ years and became fixtures of the community. I believe the reason why they are given the credentials is so they can be used in a reserve capacity as needed. I dont know, however, and just speculating.
Old January 1, 2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Wagonman

It is also a function of the fact that just because you retire you don't stop being a cop.

CCW badges are a BAD idea
Old January 1, 2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Playboypenguin

Quote:
It is also a function of the fact that just because you retire you don't stop being a cop.
They are pretty clear to us when we leave active duty that we do, to an extent, stop being a cop. We are no longer afforded the same privledges and protections of an active duty officer.
Old January 1, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
luvsasmith

+1 Wagonman. There are idiots and BG's with CCWs. I hate to even consider what these two classes of people would do with a badge.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Captain38

Two DIFFERENT things, entirely, between the CCW badges being hocked via the last few pages of the Gun periodicals AND RETIREE badges made officially part of the retired LEO's credentials. The first is plumb foolish to own, the second is an HONOR!

NEITHER type of badge, however, carries the weight of any arrest authority!
Old January 1, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Japle

Who would you show a CCW badge to, anyway?

I doubt any PO who's actually earned the right to carry a real badge would appreciate seeing something like that!
Old January 1, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9
kirpi97

Oh darn. Double darn. And I thought I was going to have a chance to be a rent-a-cop by buying one of them badges. But is the words of a famous movie, not politically correct by today's standards, "Badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges."

The permit itself was and is good enough for me and any LEO I've ran into.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:16 PM   #10
M1911

If you want to carry a badge, go down to the local cop-shop and apply to join the force.

A CCW permit does not make you a cop, and carrying a CCW badge is a really bad idea.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:19 PM   #11
9mm1033

Gimmicks...bad idea. Besides, as stated, when would you use such a badge? RIPOFF! Stay away.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:27 PM   #12
scorpion_tyr

Personally I would never own or use a CC badge. I've seen them two and I don't like the idea of Johnny Trouble getting a CCL and a badge or heck, just the badge and then trying to play cop.

I've seen people attach them directly to their holsters just in case their CCW is somehow exposed. Then anyone who sees the weapon will also see the badge and then assume they are cops, and will won't panic or call the cops or anything.

Unfortunately I've also seen a person purchase a CCW Badge and one of those badge holders that go around your neck at the same time. Before they made it past that table at the gun show the Badge was already dangling around their neck. Salesperson never even asked to see CCL.

I'm not saying I agree with them... in fact, I really don't like them at all, but last time I checked anyone can oder an actual LE Badge out of a magazine like GAL's.
Old January 1, 2009, 04:08 PM   #13
JohnH1963

Is the badge that the retired officers have an honor or is there another purpose or expectation?

I know in Los Angeles the retired officers can wear the uniform and badge for security work like on sets.

If I retired from a job, any job, then I would not want to look back. If I did want to look back, then I would stay employed with that job and find a way to do it into older age.

I think the retiree badge is a trick to give the more experienced officers a reason to come back or to do free work on the side for the department. I know one retiree around here who gives speeches at the high school for free.

Last edited by JohnH1963; January 1, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Keltyke

Stupid, STUPID, STUPID idea!

CCW means Carry CONCEALED Weapon. Concealed means CONCEALED. Our best weapon/tactic is surprize.

As a side note, that badge is walking a thin line of impersonating a LEO. You flash it and you really think someone will stop to read the wording? It's a prosecutor's dream come true.

If you're justified in flashing a badge, you're probably justified in drawing your weapon. I know which one I want in a gunfight.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:06 PM   #15
hillbillyshooter

In complete agreement that this is a bad idea. Haven't seen one of these before, but would seem like a great way for a BG to impersonate a LEO by flashing it quick. Doubt many average citizens look hard at badges anyway, I mostly see people looking at a LEOs weapon.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Sarge

I would recommend against carrying a CCW badge. I don't imagine it would carry much weight with anybody you'd show it to.
Old January 1, 2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you were involved in a SD incident and flashed that badge at a responding officer you would NOT be in their good graces when they realized what it was. That thing screams "The person carrying this is a vigilante idiot!"
Old January 1, 2009, 09:33 PM   #18
Captain38

While I'm Still in the Holiday Spirit...

JohnH1963,

You say, "If I retired from a job, any job, then I would not want to look back. If I did want to look back, then I would stay employed with that job and find a way to do it into older age...I think the retiree badge is a trick...I know one retiree around here who gives speeches at the high school for free".

I HAD a few thoughts to share with you on your comments, but, instead I'll just wish you "Happy New Year"!
Old January 1, 2009, 10:46 PM   #19
NRAhab

CCW badges are a bad idea, and (for the record) Star Wars conventions are pretty awesome.

There's also a huge, huge difference between a cop getting a retirement badge and a CCW badge. The retirement badge is a symbol, a reward for 20+ years of work and dedication; a CCW badge doesn't really symbolize anything other than poor judgment.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Bulldozer

stupid idea... just asking for trouble.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #21
Kline605

I agree, bad idea to carry one. I really don't see the benefit. Regardless if you are displaying a "Badge" or not when the LEO arrives at a SD shooting scene you should be treated as a possible threat until they could determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:19 PM   #22
guntotin_fool

Flash it just right and it will revoke your gun rights for ever.... its called impersonating an officer, and while its funny on TV when people flash a tin star and act like a cop, in real life it's a ticket to be Bubba's little bunk mate.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:32 PM   #23
JohnH1963

I didnt mean to offend, but my thought is that when and if I do retire, Im just going to say goodbye to my previous work and will not return. If I were a retired policeman, then I would simply leave the badge in the picture frame and hang it up on the wall.

Thats just my style, opinion and way of doing things. Others might have a different way or opinion.

If I am working then I am working, if I am retired then I am retired.
Old January 2, 2009, 01:20 AM   #24
troy_mclure

ive allready got enough crap to carry around.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 2, 2009, 02:42 AM   #25
Wagonman

I and any real copper will be a cop until the day I/we die. Whether or not I receive a paycheck does not matter in the least. Being a cop is not a job it is a way of life.

I will always have the power of arrest. A citizen has the right to make an arrest, and make them everyday. Everytime they sign a complaint they are making an arrest, I am just doing the paperwork.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for trouble I am watching for it.
Closed Thread