The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 9, 2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Dezynco

32 Rimfire Convert to Centerfire?

My dad picked up a VERY nice old Marlin lever action 32 Rimfire today at a gunshow. I have found a few importers for some ammo, but he would really like to load his own ammo. I understand that a 32 Colt should chamber in the old rifle, but the rifle will have to have the firing pin converted to centerfire.

Does anyone out there make a firing pin conversion for this rifle so the original will not have to be altered, or have a custom firing pin made?
Old August 10, 2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Clemson

Periodically, someone makes a run of 32 rimfire cartridges. I suggest you Google for them. I think Southern Ohio Guns was selling them in boxes of 50 within the past year, and you may be able to get some from them.

At least some of these guns, if not all, were made with a firing pin that could be "reset" to the centerfire position. I have never had personal experience with this arrangement, but do some research to see if you have such a gun.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old August 10, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The Marlin 1891 and 1892 .32 rifles were meant to shoot either .32 rimfire or .32 Colt, long or short in either rimfire or centerfire. One article says it came with a separate centerfire firing pin part, not a "reversible" firing pin. Load data and discussion at:
http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bb....cgi?read=5589

Quote on the system from the 1892 Marlin catalog at:
http://antiquearmsinc.com/marlin-1892-rifle.htm

A .32 centerfire firing pin is listed for $35 at
http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/

Don't push the loads very hard. One intrepid experimenter rechambered one to .32 S&W Long for the superior inside lubricated ammo and beat up the locking engagement in pretty short order.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Dezynco

Thanks guys! I've just about figured it out. Midway has almost everything in stock to start shooting this little rifle.

One thing that we've noticed is that the firing pin in this rifle is "flat" across the tip, having no little bump for rimfire or centerfire. Could this be a blank firing pin that hasn't been shaped yet? I've noticed that the firing pin seems to project out of the bolt nearly 1/4 inch rearward when the lever is closed. Seems to me that we could slip that firing pin out of there and hit it with a Dremel tool and be in business....

Also, does anyone know of a good source for 32 Long Colt, I can only find 32 Short Colt. That's OK, but would like to have some of the long cases if we can get them.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Clemson

I would not advise taking a Dremel tool to anything. Get that gun to a gunsmith. Let him show you how to convert it. If it is set up for rimfire, it will be a whole lot cheaper to just shoot the rimfire ammo that can still be found.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com