The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2001, 03:13 AM   #1
AndABeer

Advantages of two presses and 550 vs 650

Subject line pretty much says it all I suppose. I have a 550 that sees alot of pistol action and will soon see more rifle action. Changing calibers is a pain even with extra toolheads. How many of you guys have two reloading presses and does it really help?

Were I to get an additional press should I get a 550 (parts similarity) or upgrade to a 650. Dillon says the 650 is faster but is this really so? I typically only do 300 rounds a sitting. Is the 650 worth it?

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old October 25, 2001, 06:03 AM   #2
slickpuppy

I have 2 550Bs - one for small pistol and one for large pistol. It saves a lot of time.

I considered a 650 as a second press and decided against it. Why? As you mentioned, parts interchange readily and I prefer manual indexing anyway. I don't do over 200 - 300 rounds per press per session either.

Two of my friends have 650s and they are happy with them. Still, they like the route I took with the two 550s.

For me, the 650 is more press than I need and I shoot 1000 rounds per week of different calibers. Of course, YMMV.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:28 AM   #3
JMC

Advantages of two presses and 550 vs 650

I have both the 550B and the XL650 Dillons.

I have had my 550 from nearly day one of it's introduction. Prior to that I was using a Dillon 450.

My 550 has 7 extra tool heads, each with it's own powder measure, set up for various calibers that I load/shoot. It is setup with the bullet tray, strong mount and roller handle.

The 550 is probably the best all around machine for the average shooter. It will and can, load all the ammo the average shooter will need.
Parts for a change over are cheaper for the 550 than the 650 especially if you have to change the disk in the case feeder.

Changing from small primers to large is a simpler task with the 550.

I bought the 650 this year because my son and I were really burning up the 9mm ammo in GSSF competition (10,000 + rounds). We needed to spend more time on the range and less reloading. This we accomplished.

The 650 with the case feeder, bullet tray, roller handle and strong mount is a very fast machine. It is only faster than the 550 due to the case feeder but, it is faster none the less.

Quote:
I typically only do 300 rounds a sitting. Is the 650 worth it?

No... but you would be able to do those 300 rounds in about 15 minutes and not break a sweat. It takes longer to get ready to load with the 650 than it does to actually complete the process.

The rest is up to you.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:57 AM   #4
slickpuppy

jmc is set up pretty much like I am for the 550B. I have 7 caliber conversion setups with their own powder measures ready to go,too. Mine are also equipped with the strong mount, bullet tray, and roller handle. It's the only way to go with these presses.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:51 PM   #5
Steve Smith

I have 4 caliber conversions for my 550B. I like the manual indexing much better than auto indexing.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 25, 2001, 08:24 PM   #6
El Rojo

Two presses??? I need to get with the program!

I thought I was doing good just having one RL 550B and a tool head for every caliber (and additional for .308 and .30-06 trimming with the 1200B). Now I have to think about getting not only a powder measure for each toolhead but another press for the different primers? You guys are going to break me. I was saving up for two M1 Garands and tons of reloading components. Why? Why? Why? You guys are going to be my downfall!
Old October 25, 2001, 10:50 PM   #7
AndABeer

Quote:
I bought the 650 this year because my son and I were really burning up the 9mm ammo in GSSF competition (10,000 + rounds). We needed to spend more time on the range and less reloading. This we accomplished.
I live for the day I can make a statement like that. My boy is only 2 and a half. I got his mom talked down to ten years old but I am thinking I can get her to five eventually.

Thanks for the replies all.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old October 26, 2001, 07:01 AM   #8
JMC

El Rojo,

We are all only passing thru...go for it before it's too late.

AndABeer,

Quote:
I live for the day I can make a statement like that. My boy is only 2 and a half. I got his mom talked down to ten years old but I am thinking I can get her to five eventually.

Those are the days that make being a Father all worth while.
My son is 29 and it's a great feeling to see how far he has come since that day in '72 when he was born. Especially in the field of firearms.
Old October 26, 2001, 10:18 AM   #9
E. BeauBeaux

AndABeer, I have just the 550 and don't have a problem changing from pistol to rifle or whatever. Guess I'm not that pressed for time. I'm just down the street from you, drop me an email if you want to meet up sometime.
Old October 26, 2001, 10:49 AM   #10
Bogie

Well, I just use single stage presses, since even when I'm loading pistol ammo, I like to load to blocks and inspect the cases... When I get going, I'd guess I can do several hundred an hour... That's fine... FWIW, I can clean a firearm to benchrest standards and load 20 match quality rounds inside of 23 minutes... I heartily recommend taking one's time, and going for quality, over going for quantity...

Let's see... Harrell, Lee hand, Lee C, Lee O, Lee turret, RCBS JR-3, Redding Boss...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 26, 2001, 11:23 AM   #11
El Rojo

AndaBeer!

AndaBeer, we have had numerious posts on the subject of shooting age for kids. You should search it out sometime. I personally got my first rifle when I was 6, hunting license when I was 8, and bought my first SKS when I was 17 (straw purchase by my father. ssshhh. Don't tell anyone). With proper parental supervision, I think the earlier the better.