The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Microgunner

I also own the CZ Kadet, Kimber Rimfire Target and SIG P226 22 Classic, among others.

Of these four I prefer the CZ Kadet. That's a plinker you can fall in love with.

Last edited by Microgunner; October 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old October 5, 2012, 03:41 PM   #27
marine6680

I would love a Kadet... but too expensive for me. I don't want the conversion.

Having a closer look at th RIA... I like it a lot.

As far as Zamak, used properly can be pretty tough... though not as tough as good 70 series aluminum. Hi-point uses it in their guns... and while cheap, ugly, heavy, and with bad triggers... they tend to be accurate, reliable and tough. I have seen some torture test videos that should have destroyed it, yet it kept going.

But If I can get a better quality pistol in aluminum or steel, for not much more, then why not.

BTW... Hickok45 is a good one to listen to... Go to his playlists and look at the "basics" and "gun safety" playlists of videos.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #28
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
I would love a Kadet... but too expensive for me. I don't want the conversion.

Having a closer look at th RIA... I like it a lot.

As far as Zamak, used properly can be pretty tough... though not as tough as good 70 series aluminum. Hi-point uses it in their guns... and while cheap, ugly, heavy, and with bad triggers... they tend to be accurate, reliable and tough. I have seen some torture test videos that should have destroyed it, yet it kept going.

But If I can get a better quality pistol in aluminum or steel, for not much more, then why not.

BTW... Hickok45 is a good one to listen to... Go to his playlists and look at the "basics" and "gun safety" playlists of videos.
I'm also heavily leaning toward the RIA. I wonder if any of the local stores have one in stock. I'll look up more of Hickok45's videos tonight. I spent about an hour watching them last night. The guy definitely knows how to shoot well. I was impressed.

I'm just waiting on my FOID card and I'll be ordering this gun. Anyone know what magazines will work with it?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Old October 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #29
Microgunner

It uses the same mags as the Kimber and Ceiner.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:08 PM   #30
marine6680

If more than one brand use them, it must be a pretty generic magazine design. (as in not proprietary design) So that should mean the price should be decent.

Hickok45 also has a couple videos about the CZ 75... in fact he posted a "chapter 2" video today.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #31
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
If more than one brand use them, it must be a pretty generic magazine design. (as in not proprietary design) So that should mean the price should be decent.

Hickok45 also has a couple videos about the CZ 75... in fact he posted a "chapter 2" video today.
Good to know on the magazines. I'd like to get one or two more.

I know what I'm doing tonight...

Old October 6, 2012, 11:56 AM   #32
XtremeRevolution

I'm sold on the RIA. I've been watching more videos on technique and trigger control, and I discovered that one of the biggest issues people have when shooting is that flinch in anticipation of the explosion and recoil. The RIA has a great feature in this sense because if you're not counting, you won't know when your last round is and you'll pull the trigger expecting a shot. Since there won't be a round, all you'll get is a click, and if you flinched, you'll notice it immediately. It forces you to keep your flinch in check every time you empty out a magazine. I think that's a lot more valuable than knowing when you've run out.

Old October 6, 2012, 01:52 PM   #33
PT-92

Congrats and keep us posted on the new RIA 1911-22 (with required pics of course).

I'm not one of those "obsessed" individuals who sing the gospel of NEVER EVER EVER dry fire, but I will say it's not something I would do too frequently with your RIA (potential for firing pin damage etc.).

I personally have only known one guy that ever had to replace parts due to too much dry firing (one of those things I read about a lot but have only seen once in thirty years). That said and because I don't like to spend needlessly avoidable money (translation=I'm CHEAP ), I dry fire only my air-soft replicas.

-Cheers
Old October 6, 2012, 03:05 PM   #34
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92 View Post
Congrats and keep us posted on the new RIA 1911-22 (with required pics of course).

I'm not one of those "obsessed" individuals who sing the gospel of NEVER EVER EVER dry fire, but I will say it's not something I would do too frequently with your RIA (potential for firing pin damage etc.).

I personally have only known one guy that ever had to replace parts due to too much dry firing (one of those things I read about a lot but have only seen once in thirty years). That said and because I don't like to spend needlessly avoidable money (translation=I'm CHEAP ), I dry fire only my air-soft replicas.

-Cheers
Thanks for that tip. I'll keep that in mind. Can't wait to get my FOID card so I can order this handgun.

Old October 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #35
marine6680

The design or the 22lr round is why it is bad to dry fire firearms that shoot them.

The firing pin lines up with the edge of the chamber and barrel, and can hit the barrel when dry fired.

It really depends on the gun and the steel used... I seen one of those Chiappa 1911 22s with severe peening of the barrel from the firing pin. So bad that a round would never feed into it without first being repaired... But it is a cheap pistol.

The manual should tell you if it is safe to dry fire or not... if it does not say anything, assume its bad.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:46 PM   #36
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
The design or the 22lr round is why it is bad to dry fire firearms that shoot them.

The firing pin lines up with the edge of the chamber and barrel, and can hit the barrel when dry fired.

It really depends on the gun and the steel used... I seen one of those Chiappa 1911 22s with severe peening of the barrel from the firing pin. So bad that a round would never feed into it without first being repaired... But it is a cheap pistol.

The manual should tell you if it is safe to dry fire or not... if it does not say anything, assume its bad.
I learn something every day. I'll have to contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Old October 6, 2012, 11:14 PM   #37
XtremeRevolution

I did some more research and found some interesting stuff.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=122992

Quote:
Guess tolerances are different on some . 10.22's have no last shot hold open , so they are going to be dry fired a lot on the eleventh pull . Doesn't seem to bother them .
Quote:
I assume all Kimber Rimfire models would be trashed after a few range session if dry-firing would hurt them. After the last shot fired, their slide does not stay open. So people does dry-fire them even if it is accidental - no complains, posts that the gun got wrecked because they pull the trigger when the chamber is empty.
I wonder if this RIA .22 is the same as the Kimber model.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:38 AM   #38
Microgunner

Neither my Kimber or my RIA display any signs of damage from dry fire.

Modern, quality rimfires utilize firing pin stops that prevent the firing pin from striking the chamber rim when dry fired.

As long as it's not excessive I don't believe it will ever be of concern.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:54 AM   #39
marine6680

Quote:
Modern, quality rimfires utilize firing pin stops that prevent the firing pin from striking the chamber rim when dry fired.
Yeah... most but not all...

I know the Ruger 10/22 and SR22 are safe, I own both.

I seen a Buckmark pistol with marks from dry firing. Not bad, just a spot you could tell was contacted by the firing pin. The pin stop might have allowed it to just touch but not hit with real force.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:31 AM   #40
XtremeRevolution

Alright, after having done some research, I've settled on the RIA 1911 .22. I haven't liked the reports I've received from other guns like the GSG or the Colt/Umarex.

I did call them and ask about dry firing, and they confirmed that the gun does not get damaged when dry fired. Centerfire Systems also has magazines for this for $25 apiece. I also discovered that Armscor provides a lifetime warranty for their guns, and that their customer service is incredible.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-659729.html

I got my FOID card in yesterday, so I'll head over to a nearby range tomorrow and ask them a few questions, try out a few guns, and see if we can get one of these ordered.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:03 PM   #41
PT-92

Quote:
XtremeRevolution

Alright, after having done some research, I've settled on the RIA 1911 .22. I haven't liked the reports I've received from other guns like the GSG or the Colt/Umarex.
Can't "directly" speak to the Colt/Umarex but one of the fellow posters on here really likes his (search for it). I can, however, speak first-hand concerning the GSG 1911-22. I have not had a single problem (granted I use nothing other than HV ammo). I considered the M&P, Ruger SR and others but decided on the 1911 platform which IMO GSG has nailed dead-on.

That said, if money were no object I would have prefereed an "all-metal" frame like that offered by RIA but I didn't want to spend so much for a plinker gun.

Quote:
I got my FOID card in yesterday, so I'll head over to a nearby range tomorrow and ask them a few questions, try out a few guns, and see if we can get one of these ordered.
Always a good idea to rent a few different models prior to the official purchase--I have been renting the M&P 22 and it's "growing on me" if you will. Maybe Santa has something in mind...?

-Happy Holidays
Old November 24, 2012, 11:40 PM   #42
marine6680

keep us informed with how it goes.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:19 PM   #43
XtremeRevolution

Well, I threw a monkey wrench into my plans today by going to a gun shop. I found a Sig Sauer Mosquito with a 5" barrel and started asking myself if a full metal .22 is absolutely necessary and if the RIA 1911 .22 is worth paying an extra $85 for. It felt nice in my hands, and better yet, felt nice in my wife's hands, which was a big deal since both of us will be shooting it and she has ungodly long fingers.

Has anyone fired or owned the Mosquito? I've heard the older ones had some issues but they fixed them on the latest models. The Mosquitos have only a 1 year warranty, while the RIA 1911 has a lifetime warranty.

Thoughts?
Old November 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #44
PT-92

Arcus 98

Wow--I just found out that they make a .22lr conversion kit for my Arcus 98 (Hi Power like clone). If I can find the kit reasonably priced, I may purchase it.

-Happy Holidays
Old November 25, 2012, 10:57 PM   #45
Metal Bird

Hi, new lurker catching up on some items and found one here I can actually comment on ... I know some of what I say has been mentioned before by others ...

I have the RIA XT22 and LOVE it. So much that I sold all other .22 pistols as I have no use/need for them. I found a full size pistol that performs flawlessly with most ammo I stick in it. I settled on buying the CCI AR Tactical rounds in bulk and those run perfect. Over 2500 rounds and shoots great. Out of the box it was dead on perfect. I could and can put 10 of 10 rounds in a 3" target at 60' standing freehand ... I impressed myself, do not do that often!

I went thru the whole countless nights of research and comparing between the GSG/Sig, Umarex/Colt and the RIA. Due to the cheaper price I was leaning GSG until I found the it is "unofficially" illegal in MN! MN in all its intelligence has a law pertaining to the melting points of metals used in guns and apparently the cheap pot metal used in these guns. Tho I could get away with buying one technically they should not be sold to me I guess. I also then found instances of the slides breaking or shattering. But there seems to be more positive thoughts on them than negative.

Anyway I ordered the RIA XT 22 and like the full open top slide, all steel with the bull barrel. No the slide does not lock back on the last round and that is fine with me.
You do not need to worry about dry firing this pistol as it has a firing pin stop on it to prevent it from striking the the barrel if there is no rim there for it to hit first.

It uses the same mags as the Kimber 22 so you can get those at a good price. I found that if you slide the baseplate off the mag and pull the plastic spacer off the the bottom of the spring and put it back together you can increase the capacity from 10 rounds to a 15 rounds. So in less than a minute I can convert my 10 round mags to the 15 round mags! (More stupid state restrictions).

RIA Armscor is a good company too with great customer service and from the sounds if it they take care of their customers.
It is all 1911 lower. You can get a full top end for it and convert it to 45 (or 9mm or 38 super).

That may be more than my 2 cents but it is what I can share about my favorite plinker.

Last edited by Metal Bird; November 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:23 PM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution
I may have misspelled something. It's API I was referring to. On the buds gun site, this gun is labeled under API, RIA, and Armscor.

I understand that ATI is an entirely different manufacturer now. One I hadn't heard of before, but may consider in the future. Thanks for clearing that up.
API stands for Armscor Precision, International.

ATI is American Tactical Imports. They are not a manufacturer. They are, as the name implies, an importer.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:30 AM   #47
marine6680

I would be wary of the Sig Mosquito... too much history of poor performance and issues.

I hear their 22lr based on the P226 is really good, but expensive.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:42 AM   #48
XtremeRevolution

Well, Metal Bird's review pretty much won me over. I was leaning heavily toward this gun, but that pretty much sealed the deal. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that review.

I'll be ordering the RIA .22 from BudsGunShop.com tomorrow.

A gun shop near my office wants to charge me $45 as a fee to have me order the gun and ship it to them. Is that a reasonable fee?
Old November 26, 2012, 12:45 AM   #49
Metal Bird

Here is a pic of my RIA...

Old November 26, 2012, 01:11 AM   #50
Metal Bird

Glad to hear I could help! No doubt you will enjoy this gun.

Another thing I wanted to mention that I forgot was on the trigger pull.
The Armcsor USA site states it is between 4-6 lbs.
I swore mine felt lighter than that when I first got it but didn't not actually test it until a few weeks ago. It consistently breaks at 2.85 lbs of pull!

That is stock out of the box from them (after about 2500 rounds tho), I dont know if they are all like that or if I got lucky, but normally I have to pay extra to get trigger work done on a gun to get down close to that. I am sure that has a lot to do with how much more accurate I can shoot this gun compared to others.

I would be interested to know what other people with this gun are getting for a trigger pull?