The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Kiwi Mink Oil Polish as Case Lube

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Mink Oil Case Lube?

I use the Hornady One Shot and have read some good things on the Mink Oil as lube.

Do you apply a small thin layer with some type of applicator? Or roll the cases on it?
Old May 20, 2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Sport45

I use it when I'm just sizing a few. Run your finger across the top of the polish and then roll the case between your thumb and finger. You only have to swipe across the top of the polish every three cases or so. It works well.

When I have a lot to lube I still get out the Lyman pad and roll 4 or 5 at a time across the top.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
res45

What Sport45 said. I think Hornady Unique Case Lube is made from the same stuff pretty much,smells like it anyways.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
jcwit

Yup! Real close to the same stuff.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

I got some one weekend while up at our place in the country. I ran off and left my Imperial sitting on my bench at home.

I had the wife pick me up a can while she was at Wally World. I usually use it int eh same manner as the Imperial, I set up the cases I am going to lube in the loading tray, then slather some across both palms then grab up 4 or 5 cases and roll them together between my hands. I do 12 or so then add a dab more lube. When I am done I just wipe whatever is left on my hands off on a shop towel and go on with my loading.

If you do a web search for "Fr. Frog's Loading Pages" there is a link there to one of his pages that has a bunch of different home made or improvised lubes on it. Look it up then scroll down. I think it is on the right hand side about half way down or so.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Ole 5 hole group

There's a lot of products out there that will act as a case lube to include petroleum jelly but a 2 oz tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax will last you for 20 years unless you're a competitive shooter - then maybe 5 years before needing more.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ial-lubricants
Old May 20, 2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Slamfire

I have used Kiwi Mink oil and I cannot tell the difference between it and Imperial Sizing wax.

You just apply it with your fingers.

It does not wash off well in hot water and soap like RCBS water soluble, so that is what I use.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Ole 5 hole group

KiWi Mink Oil I believe is made of mink oil, silicone and lanolin – in what proportion I don’t know. Imperial sizing wax I think is mainly lanolin and a thickener but not totally sure about that. Dillon lube is a mixture of lanolin & alcohol I think.

Using straight anhydrous lanolin from a drug store I think would get you the same results and would be a lot cheaper than either Kiwi, Dillon or Imperial.

I think the main problem to stuck cases in a steel die is the failure to properly lube the lower portion of the case where the greatest amount of pressure is exerted.

You also may want to thoroughly clean your resizing die once or twice a year to keep the buildup of wax to a minimum.

There are a lot of homebrews out there and most work just fine but lanoline is super fine for your hands and that's not a bad thing.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Mink oil? Lanolin?

Well these things are good to know.

After sizing somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 9mm and 14,000 40S&W cases, I've used around 1/4 of my can of Imperial Die Wax. Simple extrapolation indicates I may run out of Imperial Die wax when the total case count reaches around 80,000.

Then I’ll start on the honking big tin of mink oil that I’ve barely touched in the last 25 years. That sucker should get me out to a grand total of about 500,000 cases, by which time I’ll definitely need to economize and swap to the lanolin…
Old May 21, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Sport45

It should last longer than that.

I've yet to use any lube at all in loading many thousands of rounds of .45acp, 9mm, .45 Colt, .44mag, and .38/.357mag.

I save the lube for .30 carbine and bottleneck rifle cases. My carbide sizing dies for pistol don't need it and I haven't noticed it helping enough to be worth the trouble when I tried it.