The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 5, 2001, 11:45 AM   #1
sb7979

Anyone know any good clubs in NW Ohio or SE Michigan where I can shoot IDPA or IPSC type matches? Something within a 2 hour drive of Toledo would be nice, so I guess that includes NE and cental Ohio also. Even plate matches would be alright. Just need to shoot something besides a bullseye target. Thanks.

Scott
Old March 5, 2001, 03:58 PM   #2
IamNOTaNUT

Check out the IDPA page under Michigan Clubs. There is a club in Linden that is probably about a 2 hour drive from Toledo. They are hosting the IDPA state match this year. There may be others.

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old March 6, 2001, 09:38 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Go to http://www.uspsa.org and use the 'club-finder' function; should be some nearby clubs...
Old March 6, 2001, 10:06 AM   #4
sb7979

thanks guys. i have done that already. found some local clubs, one no longer exists, one doesn't respond to my attempts to contact them, and one responded but in such a way that makes me not want to go there. i thought someone might have some experience with a club in this area they could pass on. thanks

scott
Old March 6, 2001, 08:17 PM   #5
banjobart

I was just in Toledo Sunday shooting a fun IPSC match. I go every first Sunday at 9:30am.

The third Sunday IPSC is held in Utica, Michigan at DSC.

http://www.d-s-c.org

The second Sunday IPSC is held in Dimondale (Lansing) Michigan and Angola, Indiana.

The fourth Sunday IPSC is held in Brighton, Michigan at Livingston Gun club.

Show up at 9:00 or 9:30 for most IPSC with mags, pouches, a holster, pistol and lots of ammo. I guarantee that you will have fun. Don't let a grouch or two turn you off, most every one is friendly and helpful.

IDPA is held mostly on Saturdays in Michigan. Linden has excellent matches and shoots first Saturday of the month. Email [email protected] to reserve a time Saturday April 7

Nearby, just south of Linden, in Brighton is a new IDPA club. Email to reserve a time slot Saturday April 21. They shoot the third Saturday of the month.
Old March 6, 2001, 09:38 PM   #6
faiello5

I shoot IDPA at the Linden club and it is a great group of people. Very friendly and patient with the new-comers. If you don't mind the drive, probably 2-2.5 hours, I cannot suggest it highly enough. There is also a club in Brighton, MI that will hold IDPA shoots starting in April. Email Dave Johnson at [email protected] for more info. Linden shoots the first Saturday of every month with time slots at 9:00am - 11 - 1 & 3:00pm. Dave can give you the schedule for his club. Hope to see you this spring/summer!

Regards,
Frank

Old March 6, 2001, 10:03 PM   #7
sb7979

banjobart,
where at in toledo did you shoot? i only knew of one, and didn't think they were shooting this year.

thanks to both you guys. i will definetly be checking these places out. see ya there.

scott
Old March 7, 2001, 04:59 AM   #8
CrowShooter

Don't know from IDPA, but I would sure like to know if any IPSC folks gave you a bum steer or were anything but ELATED that a new shooter wanted in. Would you like to post some names or clubs that did this? I will be glad to air your response on the IPSC list for all to see. No reason for bad manners.

Thanks.

Rich
Old March 7, 2001, 01:18 PM   #9
sb7979

I found alot of helpful info on DSCs website, as well as Lindens and Livingstons. I had one question though banjobart, you said Livingston shot IPSC but their website and faiello5 says they are an IDPA club? Can someone clarify which, or both? And I have been unable to find any info on Dimondale. Anyone have a website or contact name for that club? Thanks to everyone. Your info has been a great help, but I would still like to know which Toledo club you shot at banjobart.
CrowShooter, the "bum steer" as you call it wasn't really a "bum steer", just an email response which was very hard to follow (as if it was written by a 4 year old) which I think basically told me I should bring all my questions to the shoot, instead of him answering my email, which would be alright if that particular club wasn't two hours away. It was an IDPA club, not IPSC, not that that means anything.
Old March 8, 2001, 09:25 PM   #10
banjobart

Livingston Gun Club in Brighton, MI shoots IPSC every 4th. Sunday and 3-gun 2nd. Sunday. You can just shoot the pistol stages at 3-gun if you wish and not the rifle and shotgun.

Livingstom County Sportsmens also in Brighton, MI shoots IDPA every 3rd. Saturday. The two clubs are separate enterprises but only a mile or two apart, thus confusion arises.

Dimondale, MI and second Sunday IPSC is a few miles SW of Lansing, MI, my hometown. The website is down. We are shooting this Sunday, March 11 starting at ten. The weather may be OK. From I-96 exit Lansing rd. west. Turn left on Canal rd. and head south a mile. Turn right on Windsor Hwy. and head west a mile. Turn left on Gunnell rd. and head south a mile. You will be at the gate of Chief Okemos Sportsmans Club and hear IPSC shooting.

See the websites for links to the IDPA and IPSC clubs:

http://www.idpa.com

http://www.uspsa.org