The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 23, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
nathaniel

Heritage

Hello all, its been a long time. I just bought a brand new heritage rough rider in 357 magnumto on an impulse. I got it home, cleaned it all up. The cylinder locked up nice in both the hammer down and full back position. Well I took it out today and shot it about 20 times. Now my cylinder will move around alot in the full down position and slightly in the fully cocked position. Is this normal or do I need to do some work to it?
Old April 23, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
the rifleer

This is a black powder forum, so you may not get the best replies, but when it is fully cocked that is when you want it to lock up tight. Check to see that all the pins and screws are secure.
Old April 23, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
MJN77

No, this is the "Black powder AND cowboy action shooting" forum. Says so right there at the top. He's in the right place. How bad is the cylinder moving?
Old April 23, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel
slightly in the fully cocked position.
Slightly doesn't sound too bad to me.
Even Rugers will move slightly.
It sounds like it's breaking in.
Keep an eye on it until you feel confident that it's okay.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
deerslayer303

I check them like this. Pull the trigger and hold the hammer ALL the way back at the same time, that cylinder should be tight as in NO movement. But with the hammer fully cocked as in ready to fire, the cylinder on some will move ever so slightly as was mentioned above. Most of my revolvers will do this. As long as alignment is good BLAST AWAY!!
Old April 24, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
nathaniel

Well I went over it again and 3 places on the cylinder will move around but the last 3 are solid as a rock. When in the full cocked position I don't think it moves enough to mess up the flight path of the bullet so I should be good to go. Deerslayer I did what you told me to do and it is solid as a rock. Thanks guys for all your help I really appreciate it.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

nathaniel - glad it's working for you. As already stated, just keep an eye on it as you shoot. From the sounds of it, you should be fine.

I've looked at some of the Heritage RRs - both rimfire and centerfire. For the price, they're a decent little gun.

Nothing like a SA . . . you can't get more "COWBOY" than what you've got . . which goes right along with this forum.

Good shooting' pard . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 26, 2012, 01:14 AM   #8
BerdanSS

My brothers Rough Rider .45 LC did the same thing. As long as it doesn't get out of hand your GTG, check everything from time to time. His shoots great...personally though I just couldn't get over the transfer bar.