The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Greguw

Who makes a better crossbow

Hey guys , I am in the market for a crossbow , I am considering either a barnett or a horton ... I am leaning toward the horton . Any info would be welcome .

Thanks

greg
Old August 25, 2008, 06:41 PM   #2
stolivar

Horton hands down

barnett sucks

steve
Old August 25, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
scottycoyote

between those two definitely a horton. Id say horton is probably at the bottom of the acceptable crossbow list for hunting, then you have parker, excalibur and ten point which are the more top of the line bows. good luck
Old August 25, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
tatso7

Check Bowtech's Desert Stryker. Its screaming fast at 400 fps. Ten point, Excalibur are really good.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Greguw

Thanks guys , I will check out those other manufactures .

greg
Old August 30, 2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

Horton has been in the business longest. They offer a full line up for all tastes and budgets. There are some genuine bargains in the used-but-not-abused market.

- Horton Yukon 150 lb typically sells for well under $200. This is a very well made crossbow; Horton changed name to Summit in recent years.

- Horton Legend 175 lb is difficult to draw but produces fast & accurate arrow flight. It has proven itself in the game fields of North America, Europe, and Africa.

Parker is fairly new to the crossbow scene. I don't comprehend the physics, but they produce faster arrow speeds with 150 lb bow than others.

PSE Viper and Mojave are built in Taiwan but quality is not a problem. These crossbows are typically priced same or below Horton.

Ten Point & Excalibur are high dollar crossbows. There is a segment of consumers who must always have the best of everything. That's why Lincoln, Cadillac, Weatherby, and Rolex exist.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; August 31, 2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old August 30, 2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I won't say which is the best, but this should let you get an idea of who makes the better ones.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=53485
Old August 31, 2008, 07:31 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

The well made Yukon and Summit models have been huge sellers for Horton. Especially in Ohio where crossbows are reputed to be more widely used for deer hunting than compound bows. A good used Yukon with accessories can be purchased for less than $200.

Fred Bear Archery offered crossbows for a time but production ceased a couple years ago.

I don't feel that it's fair to label Barnett as junk. Their higher dollar models appear to be well made. I suggest ask a professional bowyer at your local pro shop about history of repairs and warranty concerns before making a purchase.

If I were looking to buy used-but-not-abused, I'd search within Craigslist for Ohio. Ebay and Gunbroker.com list crossbows as well.

Crossbows are fun to shoot. Yet they're quite deadly at archery distances. These interesting bows have put a lot venison onto dinner plates.
Jack