The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 3, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
okiefarmer

Another question on used BP value

I have gotten the BP bug biting pretty hard recently, milsurp ammo getting too pricy to shoot, and I might need to conserve it for better use someday. Been a smokeless shooter, mostly tin can plinker, no tack driving, bullet caster, and reloader since the mid 60's, and recently found more interest in BP shooting. Found a used Lyman replica today in local shop. Just curious if anyone has a ballpark idea to what I might offer. It looks like one of those Zouave(sp) style replicas in 58, ( I found several on auction sites, but by Navy Arms and Antonio Zoli, not Lyman) It has rather shallow rifling at muzzle and I didn't have proper light to look farther down barrel, normal scuffing of stock from being a shooter. Overall just average to slightly above average condition cosmetically. It will remain a shooter, I want to enjoy the toys, not put them away and show them to my grandchilden someday.

Any ideas on value appreciated,
Okie out
Old January 4, 2007, 03:26 AM   #2
arcticap

I'm not a Zouave expert. Besides the condition of the rifle, price often depends on the selling venue and the local market.
IMO, a desirable Zouave has to be in very good condition to sell for $300 (or more), and should also be one of the better makes.
The average used retail prices would fall somewhere between $200 - $300, and based on age & condition, I'm guessing that the price of this Lyman is between $200-$250 on a used gun rack.
And since the used gun business is about buying low and selling high, maybe it once had about a $175 "wholesale" trade in value.
What are they asking for it?
Old January 4, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
okiefarmer

Shop owner has a $275 tag on it. I likely won't resell it, I have rarely got rid of any firearm I have purchased or built, but just don't want to get too burned. This shop is not one I can truly call "my" dealer as I have only been here about 3 years, but he seems like a pretty decent guy. A bit high on some components, and I think he is slightly offended when I mention the firearm auction sites and prices, but it is just more competition he has to bear. I'll make an offer $50 under and if he somes back to $250, it may be a tolerable price for both.

Thanks,
Okie out
Old February 1, 2007, 06:04 PM   #4
bprevolver

Lyman Zouave

Since these rifles are selling new for in excess of $500 I would say $275 is a steal especially since Lyman does not carry these any longer which puts it in a collector category.