The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2016, 12:35 AM   #26
Sgt Pepper

I own/have owned both and shot them extensively. The only advantage the CZ75 has over the BHP is DA/SA. Unless you have really big hands and/or long fingers, you will only use the CZ75 in single action mode and carry it cocked and locked. The BHP has superior ergos, fits everybody's hand, is slim in the waistband, and is easily improved. The BHP is the #2 worldwide handgun of all time after the 1911 for a reason, which is why CZ used it as the foundation for their model 75.
Old June 26, 2016, 08:49 AM   #27
JDBerg

Between my own CZ 75B and my BHP it's really difficult to choose one over the other. I know the OP said he couldn't do both, but both are really nice to have. I think I'd choose a CZ75B first, but I'd make a nice LN MKIII BHP the next acquisition.
Old June 26, 2016, 09:10 AM   #28
mete

Rewrote it
Old June 26, 2016, 09:11 AM   #29
mete

The BHP pictured just needs some flat type checkering to make it really fine ! On front and back straps .
Old June 26, 2016, 09:18 AM   #30
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT PEPPER
The BHP is the #2 worldwide handgun of all time after the 1911 for a reason, which is why CZ used it as the foundation for their model 75.
The two weapons have almost nothing in common except a generally similar appearance and the use of Browning's Locked Breech Short Recoil design. That Browning design feature is also used by the vast majority of all other 9mm and greater caliber semi-autos.

The BHP wasn't the foundation for the CZ-75. As you note, even the ergonomics are even different.

The original poster already has an IDF BHP, by the way...
Old June 27, 2016, 06:37 AM   #31
TxFlyFish

Those idf while really cool for history is refinished and makes the controls really gritty. A newer HP is going to feel MUCH smoother.

That said you could clean it up with C&S parts and get used CZ 75 this way you could have both platforms. This is just for variety sake. The CZ 75 is way too unbalanced whether you have the straight or stepped slide
Old June 27, 2016, 06:43 AM   #32
Skans

Do you want a single-action only gun or a double-action/single action? When you answer that question, you will know which of the two guns to purchase.
Old June 27, 2016, 07:57 PM   #33
jaughtman

I have owned both....

MUCH prefer the BHP as I have smallish hands - like several others said, that CZ has a long trigger reach. However, if you have large hands that probably is not a deciding factor for you. On top of better ergonomics, I found my BHP(s) more accurate, more reliable, and better finished/fit than the CZ. None of this is a true knock on the CZ - I would LOVE one if there was a version with a shorter trigger - but you did ask what the BHP offers over the CZ. As you can see, the price points reflect those items I mentioned. Perhaps a little haggling will get that BHP down to around 650-700?

J