The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 23, 2017, 11:03 AM   #1
the possum

Think I found a load for my FNAR

Last night I finished testing another batch of hand loads for my FNAR (.308). I'm using Alliant MR 2000 powder in commercial brass, with 168 grain A Max bullets.

I set up the target behind dad's house, at 230 yards (that's where the dirt road goes through the field). Best 5 shot group was 1 3/4" at that distance, which is about 3/4 MOA. Another charge put 4 shots into 1 1/8", but a flier opened up the group to 3".

I would have been thrilled to see a dime sized group of course, but 3/4 MOA ain't too shabby for a $900 semi auto that takes 20 round box mags. Plus, by that point I'd probably shot 75-100 rounds without cleaning, and my rest was jumping around with every shot.

I've had to start over a couple times after modifying the gun, so now maybe I can finally just work on my own skills instead of careful testing. Would love to bust a coyote or two with this gun.
Old May 23, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Is that the only powder you've tried?
Good that you found a node in your powder charge that the rifle likes, but you may find another powder works better / is less finicky. Powders such as IMR and Hodgdon 4350 as well as Varget are very popular for .308 as you can usually find several different powder charges that produce good results.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 23, 2017, 03:40 PM   #3
the possum

Yep. Only powder and only bullet I've tried. Maybe someday I'll see if I can find a load that groups even better, but it may be an exercise in futility to try making this semi auto group like a precision bolt gun. I plan to clean my gun & use a more stable shooting platform to verify these results, but 3/4 MOA is probably more than adequate for my purposes.
Old May 23, 2017, 08:41 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

Ive found Varget and 168gr SMKs to be quite a performer in a variety of .308s. Just have to find how many grains of powder each particular rifle likes.
Old May 24, 2017, 01:14 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Ive found Varget and 168gr SMKs to be quite a performer in a variety of .308s.
Me too--a reliable performer.