The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 18, 2017, 03:50 PM   #26
Slopemeno

How about just meeting your relative off-post?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:53 PM   #27
Chainsaw.

You going to JBLM?

To note, in Washington if you hand your gun off to say the police, per washington law you have to submit to a back ground check to get it back, yes, even if its rightfully yours. Being theybdo not recognize your CCP they most likely wont accept it and hand your gun back right after the check comes back, that means you'll be waiting no more that 10 days to get YOUR gun back.

Buy a lock box for the car....
Old May 19, 2017, 02:22 PM   #28
AL45

I talked to a Shooting range/gun shop and they said I could rent a locker there and store my firearm for $15.00. Cheap enough.
Old May 19, 2017, 02:33 PM   #29
FITASC

And a locker is more secure than a safe.....................how?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 19, 2017, 02:34 PM   #30
Shenna9220

For a very long time I have used an old locking bank bag to store my firearm in the trunk when traveling. I've stored this bag in hotel vaults from time to time and when asked I just say it contains valuables.
Old May 19, 2017, 02:35 PM   #31
FITASC

I wouldn't even say valuables - just some scrip meds
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 19, 2017, 05:51 PM   #32
Berserker

Myself, I would just hang do not disturb. sign. I typically do this, I don't like people in my room. I just get coffee packs at front desk.

Unless in a shady area, I wouldn't worry about room getting broke into. If I was, I would get a room elsewhere. I don't carry anything rare.
Old May 19, 2017, 05:52 PM   #33
Berserker

Scrip meds may be the worse thing to say is in the safe these days.
Old May 19, 2017, 07:38 PM   #34
FITASC

Not if you say diabetes or heart meds.............
Old May 19, 2017, 09:27 PM   #35
Berserker

Why would anyone lock up those pills? I think it is worse, and will still have junkies curious.

If you are legally allowed to have in trunk, then this moot point. But I am guessing you can't or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I wouldn't even worry about a lock box, in a locked trunk. Jeesh. But again, I suspect, he is not allowed bring it at all on base, or we wouldn't be discussing this in the first place.

I just put the do not disturb sign up. Unless you and wife plan on having wild motel sex, and need new sheets. Get a room with two beds.
Old May 20, 2017, 01:11 AM   #36
AL45

The locker is in a gun shop with my pad lock on it. The pad lock would have to be cut off in order for someone to steal the guns. I can't see anyone willing to take the chance of cutting off a padlock in the middle of a busy gun range/gun shop where there are dozens of eyewitnesses. I would doubt the owner or employees would cut the lock off after hours, steal the guns and then tell me they have no idea what happened. It could happen, but I doubt it. The safes in a hotel are accessible by the hotel. I could see someone from the hotel, opening the safe and stealing the guns and then telling me too bad so sad. I know a person who had a trailor which contained virtually everything they owned, stolen from a hotel. The Trailor was attached to a pickup and another vehicle was parked directly behind the trailor. Somehow they moved the vehicle, unhooked the trailor and vanished. It was determined to be an inside job. Our vehicle has no trunk and Washington state law says the guns must be locked in a box. Military bases say NO FIREARMS on person or in vehicle. AND, I'm not traveling 1600 miles across the good old USA without means to protect myself and my Wife. The guns will be loaded and at our disposal until we hit the Washington State line, then they will be locked up. Just hope we don't run into Bigfoot while we're in Washington.
Old May 20, 2017, 01:18 AM   #37
Berserker

Don't carry some big fancy gun, that would make you cry if stolen, and leave it at the motel.

You really worried about it getting stolen at motel????

Before I did all this BS, I would just leave it in the motel.
Old May 20, 2017, 07:46 AM   #38
vito

Sounds to me like you are greatly "overthinking" this whole issue. Are you comfortable traveling without a firearm? If yes, then leave the gun home and your problem is solved. If no, then just secure it in your car while going on base and don't get paranoid about it. Problem solved.
Old May 20, 2017, 08:22 AM   #39
FITASC

Quote:
The safes in a hotel are accessible by the hotel. I could see someone from the hotel,
No, they are not. YOU set the combo. If you forget your combo or leave to go on your way and lock the safe, they will bill you to have a locksmith come and open it.

I agree with the other poster who says you are WAY overthinking the dangers and what not.
Old May 20, 2017, 09:16 AM   #40
g.willikers

Another vote for over thinking this.
There should be a limit for being paranoid.
Most of things we worry over never happen.
Most of the things that cause havoc seem to come out of the blue.
Enjoy your trip.
That means worry less.
Watch out for that semi that's sitting crossways on the road, just over the next hill.
Old May 20, 2017, 02:21 PM   #41
AL45

LOL! G. willikers, FITASC, Vito, Berseker, you guys sound like my Wife. Yes, I'm pretty good at overthinking. And your right, the biggest danger is some idiot driver or a deer running out in front of me. Been there, done that on both occasions. My truck was totaled by a another truck running a stop sign and the car had about $5000.00 worth of damage when I hit the Deer. I wasn't armed when the truck hit me, but I was when I hit the Deer. The Deer ran off before I could shoot him. So I guess having a gun did me no good in either instance. Then there were the two times I was on foot in shady neighborhoods in Las Vegas and New Orleans after dark, unarmed. Got a few looks but no one bothered me. I guess I looked like a gun carrying Redneck. Maybe instead of taking a gun, I will just carry a can of whoop ass and dare the first bad guy to open it.
Old May 20, 2017, 07:24 PM   #42
Berserker

No I don't think you are over thinking it. I would not bring a gun on a miltiary base, if it is posted not to.

Someone got upset about the idea of disobeying state no gun signs at store. I would rather do that, than military base, which is federal.

Using the motel safe is a fine idea. Myself I just but do not disturb. I am more worried about the maid, then someone breaking in.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:08 AM   #43
Kevin Rohrer

There are way too many paranoid and anti-gun statements being made here.

The room safe is an excellent idea, as is a rental locker anywhere. I always carry everywhere, but when I desire not to do so on a trip and there is no room safe, I just leave it unloaded in my luggage; no one has ever bothered it.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 21, 2017, 09:27 AM   #44
vito

A few factors to consider when traveling. If you have a concealed carry license or permit and are stopped for a traffic violation, will the officer know about your licensed status when he runs your name through his computer? In a state where there are virtually no legal concealed gun carriers, like NY, an officer knowing that you are licensed to carry might well become very creative in finding a justification for searching your vehicle. If a gun is found then you are up the creek. Even if you eventually prevail legally you would still be involved in a very, very unpleasant and costly process. And what about if you are in a serious car accident, or suffer a medical emergency? Even in your home area, if you believe "concealed is concealed" and carry in prohibited areas, you will be in big trouble if you have such a medical emergency and EMT's or others discover your gun in the process of helping you. I have no problem with people making the individual decision as to how important it is to them to be armed and capable of self defense versus strict legal compliance, but you should make that decision based on reality and not do so flippantly.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:25 PM   #45
AL45

Vito, as I said earlier in the post, we are in New Mexico and will be traveling through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington. My New Mexico conceal carry permit is in compliance with EVERY state except Washington. These are all VERY friendly gun states. Washington just says I can't carry it concealed and it must be unloaded, in a lock box hidden from view. I am not haphazardly carrying through gungrabbing states like those scattered all over East of the Mississippi. I have no fear of being strung up in the nearest tree if pulled over or in a wreck and they find a gun on me in the States I will be traveling through. I would feel differently if East of the Mississippi. I was pulled over twice in Texas last year, and when they saw my concealed carry permit, they had no concern at all. I would expect to be treated the same in the states I will be traveling through.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:25 PM   #46
vito

The treatment you expect in Texas is unlikely in NY or NJ, that's for sure.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:54 PM   #47
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What Badgerstate commented.
Why look for trouble from some other States LE. Permitted to carry or not people have gotten killed carrying concealed by >nerves LE.<
Old May 21, 2017, 11:37 PM   #48
Koda94

I agree store it in the hotel safe or locked in the trunk.

I will throw this idea out there... if your son will be stationed there for a while and you see more trips in the future, make an appt with any county sheriff and apply for a Washington State CHL while your visiting the state (you have to apply in person). Its easy and not that expensive they have no classroom or other requirements and lasts for 8 years.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firea...oncealreq.html
Old May 22, 2017, 12:21 AM   #49
Aguila Blanca
Staff

^^^

You do understand, I hope, that even a Washington state permit will not address the question that opened this thread, nor will it help the problem. His son is stationed on a military installation. He can't enter the installation with a firearm, not even in a locked box in the trunk.

The last time I visited the post where I was stationed when I was on active duty, the security folks were pulling over EVERY vehicle that didn't have a post parking sticker on the bumper, and they searched EVERY vehicle. I suppose every base is different, but probably not all that different. My last visit was before any of the mass shootings on military bases, so I doubt things have relaxed a whole lot since then.

It seems AL45 has reached a decision as to how to handle it, so why are we beating this particular dead horse?
Old May 22, 2017, 12:26 AM   #50
Koda94

Quote:
^^^

You do understand, I hope, that even a Washington state permit will not address the question that opened this thread, nor will it help the problem. His son is stationed on a military installation. He can't enter the installation with a firearm, not even in a locked box in the trunk.

The last time I visited the post where I was stationed when I was on active duty, the security folks were pulling over EVERY vehicle that didn't have a post parking sticker on the bumper, and they searched EVERY vehicle. I suppose every base is different, but probably not all that different. My last visit was before any of the mass shootings on military bases, so I doubt things have relaxed a whole lot since then.

It seems AL45 has reached a decision as to how to handle it, so why are we beating this particular dead horse?
yes, I know that, thats why I agreed with others how he should store it while visiting on base. I didnt suggest he get a permit to carry onto the base. But good point for bringing that up, I probably should have been clear about that... I could see how it might be construed that way. egads, dont carry on a base no matter what or how.