The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 10, 2017, 11:30 AM   #26
15plus1

Quote:
If this is true about YouTube, I would think Bing would be a good alternative.
I highly doubt that a Gates owned medium would be any more receptive to gun content
Old April 10, 2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Doyle

Again, I ask someone to post an actual link showing that YouTube is restricting gun-related content. I can find no evidence that they are.
Old April 10, 2017, 12:41 PM   #28
peggysue

IT IS JUST A DREAM...NOT REAL.
As of April 6, 2017, channels that have fewer than 10,000 views cannot run ads on their videos. Learn more about recent changes to the YouTube Partner Program.
https://support.google.com/youtube/a...954090958&rd=1

Last edited by peggysue; April 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old April 10, 2017, 01:02 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
IT IS JUST A DREAM...NOT REAL.
As of April 6, 2017, channels that have fewer than 10,000 views cannot run ads on their videos. Learn more about recent changes to the YouTube Partner Program.
Then please explain Demolition Ranch, MAC, Hickok45, etc. getting demonitized.

Over 6 million subscribers and a billion views, among just those first three.
Old April 10, 2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Doyle

Quote:
Then please explain Demolition Ranch, MAC, Hickok45, etc. getting demonitized.

Over 6 million subscribers and a billion views, among just those first three.
It appears to be just hype from that original link rather than any real change for firearms videos.
Old April 10, 2017, 01:39 PM   #31
rickyrick

YouTube is a private entity, they can restrict whatever they wish.
Old April 10, 2017, 03:05 PM   #32
Zen Archery

People need to read the article instead of overreact to the article.
Old April 10, 2017, 04:05 PM   #33
MarkCO

They are not shutting off the gun videos. They are merely cutting costs of monetization of the little nickle and dime sites. The big channels will still make their money, the little ones will have to get big before they make the money.

From a business perspective, does not look like a gun control, anti-gun scheme at all. Looks like a good business decision. Content costs money, and yes there are some YouTubers out there making stacks of it off various sponsorship and ads.
Old April 10, 2017, 04:07 PM   #34
Ramey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
YouTube is a private entity, they can restrict whatever they wish.

And a private business can ban guns in their buildings...but that doesn't mean they're not scum.
Old April 10, 2017, 04:36 PM   #35
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramey View Post
And a private business can ban guns in their buildings...but that doesn't mean they're not scum.

And just like with a private business you can choose to NOT go there just as you can choose to NOT visit YOUTUBE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 10, 2017, 05:14 PM   #36
HiBC

A well known Woman who shoots S+W posted something about it on my FB page.
Apparently fb places considerable weight on the number of subscribes a YT channel has.
Which might mean we can do something to keep the ones we value. Subscribe!
(Not that I have...yet)

I sure value the "how to" videos. More than once someone has called me ..."I took my gun apart and I can't figure out how to put it together"
Usually I can find a good video to help. They help me,too.

I could live without the Jackass grade drunk,fail,and idiot videos of grossly inappropriate behavior with firearms,BUT,I'm not an advocate of censoring.
Who draws the line,and where?

I wonder.... the BATF and ITAR and the sharing of technical knowledge...We had some discussion here about sharing knowledge and what can get you in trouble.
I don't know. The regulatory agencies may not like vids on oil filter silencers or finishing 80% receivers. (I know,the 80%'s are legal to do/own and the oil filters are not)
The way I read the ITAR policy,it was questionable if we could post a vid on threading and chambering.
Hopefully some swamp will get drained.
Folks,boycotting YouTube is like boycotting the library. I don't care to turn my back on that much knowledge .
If you want knowledge about the precision scraping of machine surfaces,lessons from the Old Guys are there.
You want to lean about forming sheet metal,Englsh Wheels,etc? Look at Eastwood vids.
Rust removal? OxyClean solution and a battery charger,or soaking in molasses/water.
About everything on Hornady Progressive presses,dry aging beef...
No. I'm not boycotting YouTube.

Last edited by HiBC; April 10, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old April 10, 2017, 05:26 PM   #37
rickyrick

And was my point on all accounts. I choose where to spend my money or give my attention.

YouTube has been a great resource, but I've lived before it, I'll live after. For everything I've researched or learned online, there's been books added to my physical library.

I may not always be able to afford internet access, so I have books in a well organized library, for the subjects of most interest to me.
Old April 10, 2017, 06:05 PM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
There's already a sight up called full 30 that a few of the popular YouTube gun guys utilize.
It doesn't appear to be monetized either. So why bother going there? Why not just watch on Youtube? After all, if the channels need the money from monetization of the channels and Youtube isn't doing it anymore, what good does it to do change to Full30 that isn't monetized at all? It appears to have been living on the back of Youtube's monetization given all the crosspostings.

It isn't that there would need to be an alternative place for videos, but that there would need to be an alternative place with monetization for videos. I just watched some MAC, Hickock45, and 22plinkster and didn't see any ads on Full30.

So Full30 apparently isn't the answer to monetizing gun channels so that they may survive.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; April 11, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old April 12, 2017, 12:05 PM   #39
g.willikers

Full30.com that has been referred to has quite a lot of our kind of videos already up and running.
Having a backup as an alternative is always a good idea.
Ya' just never know when it will come in handy.
We might as well support it as not.
Old April 18, 2017, 02:24 PM   #40
Double Naught Spy

They do have SOME videos there from a very limited number of creators, but Full30 isn't a place to go if you want to post your videos there yourself. When I inquired about why I could not post any videos after joining, I received the following response...

Quote:
Hi, *******

Thanks for contacting us at Full30.

We are currently only able to provide hosting and bandwidth for a limited number of content creators. In the future, we hope to expand our reach to a greater number of contributors and would be glad to send you an invite at that time.

In the meantime, we hope you enjoy Full30 and what it has to offer; and soon hope to see you involved with us soon!

Nic H
Full30 Support
So NO, Full30 really isn't an option for much of anything. They aren't monetized and providing money to creators and they are only allowing some to post videos and most of those videos are on Youtube already along with the videos of many other people.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:45 AM   #41
bryco32

Mike Beliveau creator of Duelist Den on YouTube just posted on his Facebook page he had his worst month of revenue ever on YouTube.

I'm sure a lot of the smaller (even though he has way over 10K views) will end up not producing content. At least in the caliber we are used to seeing from them.

None of the YouTube channels I regularly watch have any commercials anymore.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:17 AM   #42
dakota.potts

I was only making a pittance anyways on my channel, but it's funny seeing the revenue graph on mine jump from mountain crests to a flatline in a single day.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:02 AM   #43
peggysue

You don't have much on Youtube Dakota. This is not just those doing Youtube on firearms. It is across the board. Under 10,000 hits

Last edited by peggysue; April 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 20, 2017, 12:10 PM   #44
FrankenMauser

Lots of channels impacted.
A huge number of veterinarian and medical videos have been 'restricted' and demonitized, as well.
Giving a kid a vaccination? Restricted!
Going over the basics of gun safety? Restricted!
Showing how to inspect a dog's paws for hidden sores? Restricted!
Demonstrating how to clean a fish? Restricted!
Shooting a paper target? Mega restricted!

Old April 20, 2017, 12:45 PM   #45
Badgerstate

Perhaps the OP or a mod should edit the title of this thread to reflect the truth. Theyre not doing away with gun videos.
Old April 20, 2017, 03:25 PM   #46
Skans

I love the Guntube idea!!! Has anyone brought this up on the Gunbroker forum? Sponsor - hint, hint....
Old April 20, 2017, 03:58 PM   #47
dajowi

"why penalize those who are constructively, or even just benignly sharing their knowledge, opinions and insights?"

Didn't you know guns have been labeled a "public health menace." If you have a gun, if you like to read about guns, if you watch movies with guns...you're a threat to society and a possible terrorist. At leat that's what they tell me.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:45 PM   #48
Targa

What am I missing here? I can not find anything on YouTube dumping the gun videos.
Old April 21, 2017, 02:08 AM   #49
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco32
Mike Beliveau creator of Duelist Den on YouTube just posted on his Facebook page he had his worst month of revenue ever on YouTube.

I'm sure a lot of the smaller (even though he has way over 10K views) will end up not producing content. At least in the caliber we are used to seeing from them.
All Mike Beliveau has uploaded to Youtube the past month on his channel has been related to the swivel flintlock rifle kit he's working on. He's on part 20 of that build and I watched the first 4 or 5 and stopped watching after that, so I'm sure I'm not his only subscriber that's done so.

However, I'm sure that some of that revenue is due to the changes in Youtube's advertising and monetization policy.

The small channels that are still up and coming that feature rednecks cussing... yeah, they're not going to bother anymore. Sucks, because Busyhands94 had a good channel going.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:47 AM   #50
tipoc

Quote:
What am I missing here? I can not find anything on YouTube dumping the gun videos.
That's because they are not dumping gun videos.

You Tube is altering it's business model or it's formulas on who gets money from the advertisers. Not everyone who has videos on You Tube showing us how to fold napkins, or reviewing vacuum cleaners, will be making money off the advertisers. Not all the "Product Reviews with Chad!" channel will make the cut. Now it seems, only the ones with more than 10,000 hits will be paid by the advertisers. Looks like the advertisers have gotten picky about how their money is spent and where their ads go.

Somethings changing there, but it doesn't seem to be a ban on gun videos.

You Tube has also enacted some age restrictions on some videos which may impact some "Gun Channels". That can be petitioned to change.

You knew this model wasn't gonna last forever. The only way You Tube makes money is off advertising. At some point someone was gonna ask..."Why are we paying money to these two dopers on skate boards who fall off roofs and get 6,000 views a month?"

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72857?hl=en

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; April 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM.