The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Mavrick79

Powder Measure Question

I'm looking at picking up a Redding powder measure but before I do I thought I would ask this question first.

RCBS, Hornady, and Redding all offer powder measures with different sized chambers. I assume the reasoning behind that is to throw more accurate weights but I don't understand how the chamber size affects that.

The Redding BR30 throws 10 to 50 grains and the Redding universal throws 5 to 100 grains. I assume the BR30 would be more consistent but why? Once you have the chamber sized dialed in then whats the difference?
Old January 29, 2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Snyper

When you're working with smaller charges, using a small diameter cylinder makes it easier to fine tune the adjustments, since it takes more vertical movement to make a change

With a larger diameter cylinder, even a tiny movement can make a big difference.

You're correct that once either is set, they should be fairly consistant
It's just easier and faster to set with different sizes

Get a measure that uses a micrometer adjustment stem and you'll find it easier to repeat settings if you keep good records
Old January 29, 2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Lucas McCain

Over 50 years ago when I started reloading I had a heritors powder measure. it had a small long chamber but it was very difficult to adjust. After about 10 years I bought a RCBS, that one was easy to adjust, but it wasn't consistent enough for me. When AMT came out with the first auto scale measure I scooped up one of those, it worked very well on charges over 40 grains, less than that not so good.

But I finally broke down and bought a Harrell's powder measure and it works fantastic. It is accurate on charges from 0 -110 grains, and repeat set ups are spot on. They are pricey but well worth what you pay. I hardly use my AMT any more.
Old January 30, 2015, 04:07 AM   #4
hartcreek

If you load small calibers .32 S&W, .32 ACP ect. I would suggest you get the Lyman 55. I have personally used it with success clear down to 1.3 grains of Unique and it will work fine with lesser amounts.
Old January 30, 2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Bart B.

60% of a powder measure's accuracy/repeatability is how its user operates it. Operators must do their thing the same way for each metered charge.

The force and method one swings the metering chamber from stop to stop can vary the charge weight. It helps to be repeatable. Some people tap the measure against its loading stop 3 times to get powder more uniformly settled in the metering chamber. Some tap it against the dumping stop the same number of times (with the same force) to preload the powder at the metering chambers entry hole.

A good rule of thumb for charge weight spread in grains suitable for best accuracy for commercial bullets:

1/10th for ranges greater than 600 yards.

2/10ths for ranges 200 to 600 yards.

3/10ths for zero to 200 yards.

Custom bullets in super accurate rifles that you often shoot 1/10th MOA or less at 100 yards may show a difference if charge weight spreads are much less or zero.

There are a few combinations of powder, charge and bullet weight that'll produce 1/2 MOA accuracy at 600 yards in the right barrel properly fit to the action that's mated to the stock correctly and shot well by something that holds the rifle repeatably from shot to shot. A 3/10ths grain spread is good enough to do that with a 20-shot test group.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 30, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 30, 2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Mavrick79

Thanks Snyper, that makes sense.

I load all my pistol on my 550b and this measure is only going to be used for 223 so I don't have a need to do small charges. The Redding BR 30 looks like the one for me. The Harrels look really nice but very spendy.
Old January 30, 2015, 09:22 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
Over 50 years ago when I started reloading I had a heritors powder measure. it had a small long chamber but it was very difficult to adjust.
I have 5 different Herter powder measures, Herter did not manufacturer powder measures, the manufacturers were creative. Ohaus manufactured powder measures, they used a reversible drum, I have two of those.

An investment: The RCBS Little Dandy with 18 rotors is expensive, 'back when' the RCBS Uniflow came with two rotors, today one rotor cost as much as the measure with two rotors (in the beginning).

Then there is the trickle-er, no shortage of trickle-rs around here.

F. Guffey
Old January 30, 2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

The reason the BR30 has a minimum charge is the adjustable end of it metering cavity is hemispherical. That is supposed to prevent some grain types, particularly stick, from having more than one configuration they can pack into the bottom corners of the cavity as they drop from the hopper. It's capacity covers most rifle chamberings through medium power. However, the less convenient to adjust JDS Quick Measure is the most repeatable stick powder measure I've seen. The BR30 is the better spherical powder measure of the two. I own both and have done the comparison.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle