The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 27, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Swiss Products K-31 Clamp On Mount Questions

I was considering putting a scope on my Karabiner 31 after I run some more rounds through it, as the first (and only) target Ive shot with it so far wasnt a very good group at all from 50 Yards (Of course, my only "rest" was a rabbit ear bag on a rock).

Anyway, if I did buy a Swiss Products mount, what I have to get/do to mount a scope on it? I have a Simmons scope from my 10/22 (here it is)

Here are the parts where it attached to the 10/22

Would this scope fit and work on a Karabiner 31? I saw a video of someone whose scope crosshairs were like, lopsided away from the rifle. Are they supposed to be like that? Id like my crosshairs to be vertical/horizontal and not diagonally oriented.
(Here's the Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpVDWybemzI)
And lastly, would putting a scope on a rifle such as this still be viable to used field positions? Crouching, Prone, Standing or would it be better if I just put a scope on it and made it a benchrest rifle? I really dont like benchrest stuff as much as field positions.

Also, is it Non-Invasive? I DO NOT want to alter this rifle permanently in any way.

Lastly, I would appreciate your opinions with this mount on your K-31's.
Thanks for reading (if your still here) I know I type a lot, thanks for any insight and comments you can provide. Thank you.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 28, 2014, 08:12 AM   #2
g.willikers

Have you looked at this scope mount?
It replaces the iron sight without any alteration to the gun, itself.
And it's not offset.
http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...ku=794-000-008
Old July 28, 2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

Wouldn't the scope been too far up to see though? Not saying it would be, just seems like it would look black if it was that far up.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 28, 2014, 09:22 AM   #4
g.willikers

It would depend on the scope and your eye to scope relief distance.
Check out the "scout rifle" concept.
A general web search will reveal all.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5
hammie

@Mosin-M: I clicked on your link and viewed the u-tube video. Yes, the cross hairs are slightly canted. However, there are no turrets on the left side of the scope to interfere with cartridge ejection, and so I don't see a reason why the cross hairs couldn't be erected. I think it's just a sloppy scope mounting job.

Also, below the video window there is some Q&A and a reply to one of the questions stated that the mount required no permanent modifications to the rifle. But I'm just repeating the dialog, and I don't know first hand if that's completely true.

"Gwillikers" brings up the concept of the scout scope and thanks go to him for bringing it up. That's an option to learn about and consider, and is often used in difficult mounting situations, or, of course, on scout rifles. Personally, I don't like them. I've only used them twice, and only briefly on borrowed scout rifles. They do have a longer eye relief and so there is no "black circle". The problem I had was that the viewing field for my eye was not very deep or very wide. I spent more time trying to find the correct alignment than I spent shooting. It was frustrating. Also, a scout scope is a specialty scope and it usually is not cheap.

I know devotees of Jeff Cooper and the scout rifle concept will respond that I just needed more practice to get used to the set up or the scope I used was not the best quality. And they will probably be right. Regardless, I still don't like a forward mounted scope.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

Thank you for your reply. I have to agree, I would like the St. Marie mount if possible. It just feels more natural.

As for the scope mounting. My Simmons 4-12 has a turret on the top and a turret on the right so I don't think it will interfere with ejection, so I hope my scope job isn't sloppy. I'd

Thanks again!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 28, 2014, 11:43 AM   #7
kilimanjaro

The K31 shoots better than we do. You don't need a scope. You need to run another 250 rounds through it and develop the shooting skills needed to properly use your rifle capabilities. Breating, hold, trigger, aim. It takes time and effort, not hardware.
Old July 28, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

Okay, sorry, nevermind.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 28, 2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

I used one of the offset clamp on mounts one time on a K31 - It worked pretty well; I thought it was solid enough.
Old July 28, 2014, 12:49 PM   #10
TnTnTn

The St Marie mount seems to be the goto for a K31 mount although the scope is offset. I haven't used one on my K31s but it is on my someday list.
Old July 28, 2014, 01:03 PM   #11
tobnpr

I have the St. Marie mount, but it's the drill and tap, not the clamp-on. Reviews I've read suggest the clamp-on is solid...

You're limited to lower power, LER scopes with the scout mount which may or may not suit you. Depends on whether you want a traditional or LER.

If you do go with the clamp-on mount, keep in mind that just like any offset mount where it is not mounted over the centerline of the bore that your "zero" will be specific for whatever range you set it for. The line of sight through the scope, and the bore are not parallel but divergent. Not a big deal for "groups" on paper, but may be relevant for holding-off at longer ranges if accuracy is critical.
www.biggorillagunworks.com