The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 3, 2013, 05:18 AM   #1
PatientWolf

Browning B-92 failure

Picked up a used B-92 and in operating the action, I found that sometimes the hammer does not lock back. I was running snap caps through, but thought it could have been an embarrassing situation. I made sure I was operating the lever to its full range.

Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have any suggestions?
Old October 3, 2013, 09:20 AM   #2
PetahW

There's either crud built up in the hammer's sear/cocking notches, or something amiss/fooled-with.

If you don't absolutely know what you're doing, I would suggest getting it to a gunsmith before shooting it - so nobody gets hurt or worse.

Old October 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Molasses

You already said you'd made sure to work the lever for a full stroke, so that one's out. But I thought I'd mention it for the RIF crowd.

It's used. You might be the "beneficiary" of a poor attempt at a trigger job that's messed up the ability to hold full cock. Possibly the trigger return spring is weak or messed up.
OR you could just have varnish-ified old oil and gunk down in the works that's impeding the sear from fully engaging.

I'd suggest pulling the buttstock and giving it a look up in there, see if you can spot what's up. Maybe hose out that area with a spray degreaser and apply a good oil while the buttstock's off and see if the problem goes away.

Edited to add: beaten by 8 minutes. That's what I get for stopping to run down to pull one of mine out of the safe and take a fairly worthless picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-014F.JPG (55.2 KB, 40 views)
Old October 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
PatientWolf

Thanks. I had thought of the "Trigger Job" risk as well, which concerned me. It is now in the hands of a gunsmith I trust.
Old October 23, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
PatientWolf

Home again!

Turned out the previous owner was DIY gunsmith. My smith fixed the botched trigger job and replaced the front shotgun bead front sight with something that should actually work.