The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Gerry

Cases feeding wrong way around in Dillon 650 with case feeder

I'll first say that this is usually a very rare occurrence. Sometimes two months will go by with thousands of rounds loaded, and then suddenly I'll have a stoppage once every couple hundred for a week with a case feeding downward instead of upward. I find it a bit confounding.

The only place where they might end up backwards is if they somehow bounced in the funnel at the top of the case tube where they exist the case feeder. I've never seen it happen before, nor am I aware of the physics that would allow it to happen since the funnel is pretty narrow. It might be a quantum effect?

Anyone else have this issue, and perhaps found a solution? I know it doesn't happen often, but it interrupts my rhythm and makes me swear.

Last edited by Gerry; September 12, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes, it happens to me once in a while...

the tab - on the metal sheet / on the front edge of the case feeder - called the Casefeed bowl insert...can be bent a little inward...makng the cases tip a little more...so it doesn't happen. You can adjust it in our out ....for each caliber...which I rarely do. I get it so it works pretty well with my shortest case ( which is 9mm for me ) ...and it works pretty well for everything else ( .40 S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44mag...) ...

the manual kind of describes it ..but its a little vague...but its basically a trial and error thing...( put a bunch of cases upside down in the finger slots of the case feed disc / and let the feeder run / until you get 100% of them to tip out of the finger slots ...vs dropping down the feed tube...)

As a backup ...as I operate the loader....at least seated on a stool ...as one case drops into station 1 ...the next case drops into place into the feed position between the two colored - case specific plastic pieces - the casefeed adapter and the arm bushing...as you glance at it...you can see if the case is bottom down as it should be vs inverted. At that point / you can drop that next case by hand...and toss it back up into the feeder.

If none of this makes any sense ...give Dillon a call ...they'll walk you thru it...

If they are bouncing as they go into the funnel - for the feed tube at the top ...there is a case feed adapter funnel ...that keeps that from happening too..
Old September 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Vance

You didn't mention the caliber you are having the problem with. My problem was with .223. I would get an upside down one every 20th case or so. I got on Dillons forum and asked about it. Dillon was responding, but didn't have an answer. Another forum user suggested moving the little metal plate at the case feeder opening on top to close the openeing a little. I closed the opening about 1/8th inch and now I get no upside down cases.

Load up the collator bowl with cases, set the drop tube up so the cases will fall into a bucket, turn it on and watch it's operation. Eventually you will see what is happening differently to cause the upside down case.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Gerry

Thanks BigJim and Vance, great info. And I like the idea about just watching it go to see what is happening too. I'll try bending that tab a little inward just to see what effect it has. Worse comes to worse, I can bend it back after. I'm loading 9mm.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:38 PM   #5
BigJimP

You're welcome ...drop me a private note ...if you need more details.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
snuffy

I'm glad this came up. I've been having trouble with 9mm. ONLY 9mm! Never a problem with any others, 40, 45, 357, 44, and .223.

I just tried moving that gate metal closer to the slot. I'll see if that helps. The only tab I see on the case feeder is too high,(above), the top of the 9mm cases. Can't see how that would affect the cases being right-side-up.

The main problem is the 9mm is so short, the base isn't that much heavier to cause it to always orient base down. I'd suspect .380 cases would be worse.

Upside down 9mm cases are quite easy to clear IF you're looking out for when they show up. I reach across the top of the shellplate, hold back on the styuffer thingy, flip it over and let go of it. Case slides right in. PITA, but only takes a couple o' seconds.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 13, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Gerry

Quote:
The only tab I see on the case feeder is too high,(above), the top of the 9mm cases.
I just checked and it seems you're right. It looks like the 9mm cases aren't tall enough to be affected by it. When clearing, I usually just knock out the upside-down case and then watch a primer fall into the "you know what" because of the empty station. Not a big deal either way I suppose. If it was happening often, it would be a royal PITA.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
BigJimP

Yes, the shorter the case the bigger the problem ....and I only load .380 for one of my boys...so I don't load too much of it ...but you'll get it to work pretty well just by tipping that metal shield in a little.

But give Dillon a call tomorrow ...maybe they've come up with another fix...
Old September 13, 2012, 09:10 PM   #9
jmorris

What shape is the funnel on the front of the case feeder? The old ones are rectangle and need the insert. The new round ones work much better. If you have the round one and are having trouble you might not have the machine on a good enough table.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
BigJimP

The tab is on the left inside edge of the metal plate on the case feeder ....not the top...../ but even on short cases - adjusting that tab still works to fix the problem.

Yes, Dillon changed the shape of the funnel at the top of the case feeder a few yrs ago ...and if its the funnel that is causing the issue / they'll probably send you the new part -- but I think the reason they revised the shape was to get the short cases, like 9mm, to feed into the tube ...in the old style shape - they had a tendancy to roll sideways as they dropped out of the feeder plate and into the funnel ...and then 6 or 8 cases would jam at the top of the feed tube where it narrows ....

Last edited by BigJimP; September 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:29 AM   #11
snuffy

Quote:
Yes, Dillon changed the shape of the funnel at the top of the case feeder a few yrs ago ...and if its the funnel that is causing the issue / they'll probably send you the new part -- but I think the reason they revised the shape was to get the short cases, like 9mm, to feed into the tube ...in the old style shape - they had a tenancy to roll sideways as they dropped out of the feeder plate and into the funnel ...and then 6 or 8 cases would jam at the top of the feed tube where it narrows ..*..
Now that's two things that this thread has taught me. *Yeah, and when you don't notice they're log jammed, you stall the case feeder motor. It has a slip clutch, so it don't burn up. BUT a long tweezers is needed to fish those out of there. I'm sure a call to dillon will net me a new funnel.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 14, 2012, 11:36 AM   #12
BigJimP

but buying a pair on "long tweezers" ....and some of those evil looking "dental picks" ...and maybe even a pair of those " long handled - vein clamps" or whatever they are.....are reasons to go to the Gun Shows.....

so we can all fix these problems....

but yes, I think Dillon will have one in the mail - in your hands in a few days ....great guys / and they sure stand behind their equipment !!

( and one of those long handled flexible magnets...for when you drop the detent ball....down the center shaft hole of the loader - when you take the shellplate off to clean under it ...is a good investment too ...) ...not that I haven't learned anything after doing it 4 or 5 times.../ but the magnet make a stupid moment a little better...( or just remove the ball before you start scrubbing the darn thing - might be smarter)...
Old September 14, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
jmorris

Quote:
the reason they revised the shape was to get the short cases, like 9mm, to feed into the tube ...in the old style shape - they had a tendancy to roll sideways as they dropped out of the feeder plate and into the funnel
They revised it because there was a white insert called the "adapter funnel" (part # 13688 page 8 in the casefeed manual) that you had to install for 38 super and smaller cases. The new design eliminates the extra part and the time it takes to install/uninstall it. Win, win. Works fine and won't stack cases if you follow the instructions.

Last edited by jmorris; September 14, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Gerry

Quote:
and one of those long handled flexible magnets...for when you drop the detent ball....down the center shaft hole of the loader - when you take the shellplate off to clean under it ...is a good investment too ...
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think it was about the second time I took the shellplate off when I didn't see the ball and figured it must have dropped and rolled off somewhere in my carelessness. So I looked around the floor, thinking it may have rolled some distance. I spent hours looking for the darn thing. I was ready to call Dillon to order another darn ball, when I couldn't fit the bolt in the middle when trying to assemble the shellplate back on so that parts wouldn't get lost. It took me awhile, but I finally figured out the ball had rolled in there! I also took me awhile to figure out how to get it out (with magnet of course).