The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 9, 2011, 10:18 PM   #26
Iron Man

I learned a lot by customizing my AR. Most of the guys here are correct in their statements. I bought some of the junk stuff at gun shows and ended up replacing it.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Marquezj16

Most of the guys here would recommend the AR15 that they own. I'm no different about my M&P 15 OR or Sport.

What is so great about ARs is that most manufacturers have gotten it right. And if they did not, they quickly banish from the competetion. So, you can get a $500 to $1000 rifle and would not notice much of a difference in the end result of getting rounds to the target.
Old June 28, 2012, 02:37 AM   #28
FIREFIGHTER1247

556 ammo

i am new to this site and thrilled to join but i have a question i shoot 55gr 223 rounds i have a 3x9x40 scope i want to learn the challenges of long range with this rifle i shoot out to 175 yrs fine but i got to shoot at around 400yrs and could hit the target granted it was small but how much drop happens at that range and im not real sure how to range a target using a scope is it even possible by using cross hairs and mildots ? i would appreciate any info cause i love this gun and want to push myself to longer shots until i get a bigger rifle thanks
Old June 28, 2012, 05:05 AM   #29
swopjan

i'm no expert on ballistics but for your second question, it is possible to range a target with your scope. I learned on an 4x ACOG with a long vertical crosshair and a number of smaller horizontal crosshairs. the horizontal crosshairs represent 19 inches at a given range, the width of an average man's shoulders. with something of a known or approximated width in your scope, you simply put whatever crosshair matches up with the width of 19 inches worth of target, and that's your elevation adjustment.

your optic may have a similar set-up, measurements are likely different but the concept is the same. it may help to write things down, such as what mrkers within your scope to use at what ranges.

now I have a question. are "mil dots" what i described above? personally I've never heard anyone refer to "mil dots" outside of forums.

Tags
.223 , .308 , ar10 , ar15 , help with build