The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1
stellarpod

Problem with new Cabela's Rem. 1858

I just purchased this Pietta C&B revolver from Cabela's. Upon arrival I cleaned the oil from everything, and mounted caps on all the nipples to check firing and clear the nipples. Cock the hammer, pull the trigger.... nothing. Cock the hammer, pull the trigger again... no bang.

Cylinder is spinning and timing properly. It appears the hammer just is not contacting the caps. I pulled the caps and can barely see an indentation on one edge - and I mean BARELY, as in didn't hit it for all practical purposes. Just to satisfy myself that the caps weren't faulty I pulled them and fired them in a Uberti Colt 1860 Army with no problems.

I suspect that the hammer, frame or both are dimensionally out of spec, which could probably be remedied fairly easily. But, I am hesitant to start messing with it and risk voiding warranty should I find that something else is wrong. Probably should just send it back. I generally hear good things about these bargain Cabala's guns. Have any of you experienced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Steve
Old July 23, 2011, 07:10 AM   #2
zullo74

You could send it back (Cabelas is very good with exchanges) or you could replace the nipples with longer ones.
Old July 23, 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
mykeal

Simple enough to verify your theory without invalidating any warranty (there is no real warranty, by the way, just Cabela's customer service policy - or did your gun come with a warranty statement in the box?).

Back out two or three of the nipples about one full turn, cap all six and fire them again. If the hammer is not striking the caps, you'll get 3 good fires and 3 misfires.

It's also possible the caps are too small. Did you attempt a second firing without removing the caps?
Old July 23, 2011, 07:29 AM   #4
stellarpod

I did attempt a second firing on all six nipples to no effect. Backing out the nipples and trying again is an obviously good idea. I'll give that a shot.

Steve
Old July 23, 2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Hawg

If everything else is ok with it I'd just get new nipples.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
ZVP

Send it back!

It's obviouslly a quitting time on Friday gun!
One problem so serious, is a Jinx! Start out fresh with a new gun.
Just pack the revolver up and fill out the Customer Service Form. Cabela's is very good with honoring their policy.
JMHO
ZVP
Old July 23, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
stellarpod

ZVP: I agree.

Steve
Old July 23, 2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Under normal circumstances

I am not a pistol-sender-backer, but in this case I think I might let Cabela's stand behind their items.

I do believe, as Mykeal said, you will get it to go off by backing the nipples out, but in the end, that would be information for Cadela's. It would be proof that the nipple/hammer interface is faulty.

If they protest that you have fiddled with the pistol and thereby voided their obligation, (which I don't think they will do.) you can tell them that removing the nipples is about as much a part of pistol ownership as taking the cylinder out.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Shotput79

Yep!!! Send her back. You'll live with out for a few days. you'll have a new revolver. Cabelea's good people.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Hellgate

Send it back or shim the nipples out a few thou. I've done that on several guns that I replaced the nipples and still found them to be too short. Lemme know if you want to know my technique. I'm recovering from surgery (tired, hurtin' & gotta headache) and headed for bed for the night but can post tomorrow.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 23, 2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Hawg

Hope you get better soon Hellgate.
Old July 23, 2011, 11:18 PM   #12
rodent.22

Putting a small washer under each nipple would be the easiest solution. Probably the wrong model gun nipples were installed. They are probably supplied by an outside maker. The hammer, cylinder and frame specs would be verified by gauges during assembly, I would think.
Old July 24, 2011, 06:59 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

First choice is send it back and let them send you another or repair.

Sounds like you have to much clearance between the hammer and nipple. Could be the hammer is fitting the frame.

I would not shim the nipples. I would remove metal from the hammer inside curve so it well fall further into the recoil shield and strike the nipples. You want just a few thousandth clearance between hammer and nipple.

How's the cylinder end play?
Old July 24, 2011, 09:03 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

I am with MCB

I don't know about shimming the nipples. I know it is done, but I take the nipples out everytime I clean a revolver which is everytime I shoot them. Too many parts to lose in the wash basin.

I am also surprised to read posts from folks who do not lube the nipples. I put lube on them everytime I clean the revolver and before the nipples go back into the cylinder. I don't have trouble with caps coming off of the nipples. Every one of my revolvers requires a little extra force to get the caps onto the nipples. I have a special little tool I use just for that purpose. The action flairs the cap ever so slightly and helps me to feel confident about a relatively gas tight fit.

Let me hasten to say that every post I read about not lubing nipples was written by some one who shoots a heck of a lot more than I do. I hope, one of these days to be able to shoot enough to call myself a serious novice.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Hawg

Why would you want lubed nipples?
Old July 24, 2011, 09:44 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Hawg

I always lube the nipples before reassembly so as to make it easier to take them out after the day of shooting is done.

By "lube" I mean that I douche them down with rem oil befor putting them back into the cylinder. Some of the rem oil gets onto the cone, but it never causes any problems.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Hawg

OK, I can see lubing the threads. My cones get lube on them during cleaning but it's gone by the time the next shooting session rolls around.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

Hawg....

....I think we are on the same page.
Old July 24, 2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
Let me hasten to say that every post I read about not lubing nipples was written by some one who shoots a heck of a lot more than I do.
Part of my cleaning regimen is to spray balistol on the nipple threads before reinstalling in the cylinder. Popping a cap before charging the cylinder at the next shooting session ensures the Balistol has been 'flashed' to prevent any fouling of the powder.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 25, 2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Hardy

Um- I've noticed SOME rems from cabella don't want to go into all 3 cocks. It skips to full cock.
WBH