The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 7, 2000, 07:43 PM   #1
STEVE M

How much spare ammo do you take on a trip if you are not planning any shooting? As an aside, how many (if any) spare guns do you bring along?
Old July 7, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
TEXAS LAWMAN

Generally travel w/primary handgun (+ 1 or 2 xtra magazines/speedloaders) & smaller back-
up pistol (+ xtra magazine). Spare ammo = 1 or 2 reloads per gun.
Old July 16, 2000, 12:43 AM   #3
Rusty S

As I stated on the Jetfire ( handgun forum ) thread, a rebarreled to 4" bbl 25 cal 950 unloaded with 3 mags ( PPS max sub caliber solid copper cookie cutter and Glazer blues in them and a full box of ball ) lives in my mostly prepacked suitcase.

If I have time to stop and think, a ( PPK size ) preGCA68 Browning 380 and a 9mm HiPower go into the suitcase with a few mags.
Old July 16, 2000, 02:43 AM   #4
JackFlash

You mean what do you take along for defense?

Depends where I'm headed.

Backpacking in a real wilderness area and weight is a factor, I carry a Kel Tec P-32 and extra mag - 15 rds total.

Kayaking in refuge areas where there are few people and no mean animals, a Makarov, .357 snubby, or 1911 -- about 20 to 50 rds.

Fly fishing in the "wilderness suburbs" of the local whitewater canyon with all the drunken, dope smoking recreational crazies . . . 1911 open carry, two extra mags, a Rem. 870 and SKS in the truck. The side arm is to dissuade the crazies and if that fails, to cover my ass until I get to the guns in the truck. A box of 45 ACP, 60 rds. 7.62X39, 25 rds (a box) of shot shells, defense loads.

Road trip . . . .357 snub concealed, Rem. 870 and SKS in the truck . . . same ammo as above.
Old July 16, 2000, 03:42 PM   #5
STEVE M

Jackflash, defence is what I had in mind. The question came about due to a recent overnight trip out of state ( they reconize my CCW) to visit my relatives. Long guns where out of the question, as were any backwoods senarios. Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know if we are unprepared or overly burdened.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!
Old July 17, 2000, 02:29 AM   #6
JackFlash

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STEVE M:
Jackflash, defence is what I had in mind . . . Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know if we are unprepared or overly burdened.
[/quote]

I suppose one thing I think about is the security of the arms I'm carrying. I have a truck and the long guns go behind the seat. But I still think about break-ins. I try not to be a "target" by keeping the gear out of sight.

I carry too much hardware, but they're in the truck, and I like having them.