The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1
srkavanagh6621

Advice on a new shotgun

this last weekend during some duck hunting my benelli nova kinda went in the tank. I have had some troubles with it and now its to the point where I need a new shotgun. I would like to have a Semi-auto and I will be using the fun for ducks geese pheasants and pretty much anything a shotgun can be used for. I would like it to be a 12 guage and not break the bank. Some guns i have looked at but dont know much about are the Winchester SX3, Franchi I-12,Browning Silver series. I am completly open to your recommendations and would like to learn a little bit more on what works. Thanks a lot!
Old October 12, 2010, 09:41 AM   #2
zippy13

Give us a hint, what do you want in a duck gun -- are you looking for something that's full camo and has a 3 1/2-inch maxi-mag chamber, or what?
Old October 12, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
jbaham

I like all of those guns they are good choices but why not look into a 10 ga shotgun I personally own two an sp-10 and a browning bps and I love both of them and the recoil is not as bad as some of the 12 ga guns I own. Browning makes a semi auto as well in 10 ga that is a nice gun as well.

just my opinion
Old October 12, 2010, 10:13 AM   #4
zippy13

jbaham,
You're too quick…
If the OP was going to say he wanted a 3 1/2-inch bore, I was going to suggest he think about a 10-ga gun. But, the big bore might be over kill for his pheasants. Like rifles and handguns, it's hard to find an all purpose arm in a shotgun, too. After you get past the entry level pump guns, shotguns tend to be specialized. Upland and duck guns seem to be opposites, especially since the advent of steel shot.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5
jmortimer

Browning Maxus or Winchester SX3 - fastest shooting and least felt recoil and reliable
Old October 12, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
jmortimer

what ^ he said - duplicate post.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7
BigJimP

Any shotgun can be fixed - for way cheaper than buying a new gun ....but if you just want a new gun / or are having trouble with follow-up shots using a pump that's a different issue. But even with a new gun / I'd keep the pump and have it fixed ....it might just be a maintenace issue or a few parts...and you'l probably want it down the road.

Browning and Winchester are part of the same corporation / for last 5 or 6 yrs - so the Browning Silver, Win SX3 are very similar / maybe not identical ...but both decent options. Browning, Win, Beretta - are all making good gas guns ...and I don't know that there is a bad option out there. There are a number of new models out there - the Xplor, Maxus, etc ..

On the Inertia guns - I would go with Benelli. I think their systems have proven themselves, and with their comfort tech system, they're soft shooting and solid guns. They will have a little more recoil than the gas guns / but they will shoot a lot cleaner as well. I would leave Francki, Stoeger, etc out of the mix...and go with Benelli.

Its not so much - which brand you go with / its which gun fits you the best - and which guns have some adjustability - with shims between stock and receiver, etc - and which ones don't.

I'll differ with my friends / on the 10ga - I think that's a big mistake because you are not just looking at waterfowl. The 12ga is a lot more versatile / and I wouldn't go with a 10ga on waterfowl either. in most cases a 3" chamber is really all you need. I don't see any reason to go to a 3 1/2" chambered gun ....and on a budget 3" guns are cheaper.
Old October 12, 2010, 03:50 PM   #8
jbaham

I love the 10 ga guns so if you are thinking about getting a 3 1/2" 12 ga get a 10 ga the recoil is not as bad as any of my 3 1/2" inch 12's. A 3 inch 12 ga will do the job though and for pheasant may be the better choice. Just go and shoot some of these guns and handle them the best gun for you is the one that fits you the best.

good luck

jbaham
Old October 12, 2010, 07:51 PM   #9
krimmie

Quote:
I would like to have a Semi-auto and I will be using the gun for ducks geese pheasants and pretty much anything a shotgun can be used for.
A 3" chamber is all you need. What is breaking the bank for you? For under $1000 you can get the Win. SX or Browning Silver...I have used both guns and love them. For under $600 you can get the Beretta 390/3901, I own two, and in my opinion, the best semi auto for the money today. For even less money, the Mossberg 930 has proven to be a good gun.

Make sure to go handle them first, personal fit/feel is everything.
Old October 12, 2010, 08:27 PM   #10
zippy13

krimmie is right, the Beretta 3901 is the sleeper deal in the semi-auto market. While the fancier Beretta 391s are well over $1,000, the 3901 can be found at some very attractive prices -- keep your eyes open for some super deals as the holidays approach.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:54 PM   #11
srkavanagh6621

thanks for the advice so far! I'm not interested in a 10 gauge I dot feel a 12 is all I need for a more universal shotgun. Yes im sure 10 gauges are great but really cant imagine carrying it around for pheasants. As for breaking the bank I could deal with anything under $1000. I am a college student so anything over that is pretty tough to come up with right now since I just bought a Springfield M1A scout squad! spendy! I really like the Winchester SX3 in 3'' because of what you all said its plenty of gun! So for that is the Number one unless someone has better choice! Thanks again its much appreciated.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:58 PM   #12
James H

I second BigJimP's first paragraph...can't believe you can't clean out a pump and get it working again. Try to hold onto it. However...this is a very good excuse to buy a new gun!!
Old October 13, 2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Deerhunter

Most of the 10 gauges are heavy. Fine for ducks and geese if you don't have a long walk. Pheasants...not so much.

I just got a Browning Maxus a few months ago. I had it out dove hunting twice. Light to carry around. I also have had it out at the trap and skeet range.

Mine is the Duck blind camo, with a 28 inch barrel and chambered for 3.5s. It handles the light target loads just fine. It handled the dove loads fine. Now to get it out with the 3s and 3.5s.

It is also really easy to break down and clean.