The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 23, 2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Redneck1616

PSL Information

Guys Im thinking about buying a PSL but i want to hear the pros and cons from some of the finest people on the internet. Many Thanks.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:14 AM   #2
nimbleVagrant

They're fun rifles. As long as you don't get into it expecting incredible accuracy you'll be happy. And it doesn't get much cheaper than 7.62X54r surplus.

And don't let the seller try and tell you it's a Dragunov or a Dragunov variant. That drives me nuts. It's an overgrown AK and nothing more.

Last edited by nimbleVagrant; July 23, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Tomac

I used to own a PSL way back when they were called the Romak-3. I had my local 'smith do a trigger job and add a bipod stud at the lower front of the receiver. Only had the original 4x scope available at the time but 50rds of 900m slow fire at a std B27 silhouette resulted in a 16% hit rate, identical to NATO's accuracy report on the Dragunov.
Biggest obstacle to decent accuracy from the PSL/Romak-3 is the lack of true match ammo. If you can find any pick up some 7N1 sniper ammo meant for the Dragunov, it's the best available.
HTH...
Tomac
Old July 23, 2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

I have a Romak-3. I love the gun but I don't use it for much other than a range toy.

I wouldn't recommend 180gr bullets in it though. The Romak-3/FPK/PSL is made for 147gr ball. The sheet metal receiver just isn't quite heavy enough for a long diet of heavy ball. I am not saying that you can't use 180s, they just put more strain on the rifle.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Citizen Carrier

Well, I suppose I'm going to have to be a contrary opinion.

I bought one in the late 1990s when they were called the Romak-3 as well.

I would liken it to a Ford Mustang, freshly waxed...with a four cylinder engine.

Many experts do not consider the Romak-3/PSL or even Dragunov as true "sniper" rifles. Even the military forces that employ them use them as "designated marksman" rifles.

Based on my experience with the Romak-3, I believe even that is being somewhat generous. On my example, the barrel was in direct contact with the wood handguard completely. This is not conducive to "designated" or "sniper" accuracy, IMO. Additionally, the barrel is long and thin. Which means that after 3 or so shots, the barrel heats up quickly and your groups will begin to drift. This was a problem with the Mini-14 which was only recently fixed by the addition of more steel to make a stiffer barrel.

I also don't like that the PSL design doesn't have a proper sling swivel allowing a marksman to "sling up" to improve shooting position and accuracy. Maybe that's an "American" thing?

Long story short, when I bought the Romak-3 I also had an "ersatz" Mosin-Nagant 91-30 sniper rifle from Century Arms. The old Mosin with the WWII-era PU scope was far superior to the Romak/PSL at 300 yards. There really wasn't a comparison.

Now the PSL package is definitly "cool". When I bought it, I half expected sections of sidewalk to glow under me like in the Michael Jackson video "Billie Jean". Well, that didn't happen although plenty of other soldiers "oohhed" and "ahhhed" every time I took it out of the arms room for use on the private weapons range at Fort Riley.

The complete "sniper's" accessories that come with it are also cool. If only it had delivered accuracy comparable to the Mosin...or even the M1903A3 Springfield I also had at the time. It also walked all over the Romak, even with iron sights.

Want an affordable, real "sniper", get a Mosin with a PU or similar scope. An outfit here in Ohio, Frontier Arms, always has a beautifully refinished PU Mosin sniper with an original laminated wood stock for sale at the gunshows for $599. I certainly buy something like that before I bought another PSL.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:21 AM   #6
jpwilly

Had a PSL it was cool and fun but don't get caught up in the marketing hype or believe that all of them will shoot 1moa...very few will and most are 2moa even with handloads. Like others have said vertical stringing after a few rapid shots is common. Very roughly finished. Get an M1 Garand for the same money it's a 2-3moa rifle with great iron sights and the good ol ought 6! The machining work and finish of a M1 Rifle is far better than the PSL.

Old July 24, 2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Citizen Carrier

What he said.

Essentially, the PSL/Romak rifle is an AK-47 with a long barrel, chambered for 7.62x54R.
Old July 24, 2009, 06:01 PM   #8
predator86

i can put 5 shots into a 1-1.5 inch group at 100 yards if i do my part...i love mine, ammo is still inexpensive...buy one while you can, you wont regret it, also check out the psl/dragunuv forum over at www.theakforum.net for more info on where to get adjustable two stage triggers, advanced optics, stocks ect.ect...