The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Tasco = Junk

Had a read a few positive things about the Tasco World Class, so bought one for around $70 and put it on a rifle. Took that rifle to the range yesterday, and before I had shot a single round through, I looked through the scope, and the reticle has now turned about 45 degrees, so that it's an "X" rather than a "+". Worthless. Guess I'll send it to Tasco and if they fix it, try to sell it. I sure don't trust it now. Yes, I went cheap on this one; reason being, this was for a "backup" hunting rifle that will stay in camp while I am hunting. I don't want to be out much if my backup hunting rifle gets swiped while I'm in the field. Sometimes you can beat the "get what you pay for" rule; but not in this case.
Old November 16, 2007, 08:15 PM   #2
hunter33

HMMm i found that my tasco when put on a high powered rifle worked fine.I even thought for the money it was one of the best scopes i had used and have had no problems?Maybe bad luck?
Old November 16, 2007, 09:06 PM   #3
hodaka

Well, one of them is junk anyway. I have 4 others that work pretty well. The two that I bought back in the early 80's were made in Japan and are pretty good.
Old November 16, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Tom2

I stuck a 1-5 variable straight tube shotgun type on my 10-22 that was a top of the line tasco at one time with a MFSL up in the high 200's. Got it for 35 used and with a low mount, it is a sweet scope for the Ruger. Never thought of them as a high end brand, more of a Walmart deal, but this scope is pretty nice and presumable well made enough to stand up to shotgun slug recoil. Of course we would all love Leupolds on everything we shoot but you gotta get real.
Old November 16, 2007, 09:44 PM   #5
rantingredneck

I've got one on my muzzleloader right now and it's gone blurry on me. Gonna have to be replaced before next year's blackpowder season (already over this year). I'm probably gonna pick up a Nikon Omega for it. I've liked what I've seen from them so far.

I had a Simmons 8 point do the same thing your Tasco did. And it was on a .17HMR!!!.
Old November 16, 2007, 09:45 PM   #6
clem

I put a Tasco 3X9 BDC/RF scope on my Rem. 700 in .308 Win., in 1982. It's still on the rifle and still works fine.

Anything's that has a warranty that say's "guaranteed forever" has got to be okay.

It sounds like some of you have a "monday or friday, made car".
Old November 16, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
in 1982.
That's the key. They used to be made in the USA, then Japan. They were good then. They are now made in China and are pretty much junk.
Old November 16, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
ShipWreck

Tasco astronomy telescopes are junk. That's all I would need to know... Would never buy a riflescope from them.
Old November 16, 2007, 11:10 PM   #9
delta9

I had one my Marlin 60. Dunno how old it was, since it had the scope on when I bought it used, but after it put maybe a thousand rounds through it a lense simply fell out.

That .22lr is real hard on equipment, I guess...

Yeah, I'm not too impressed. Of course, that was a super-cheap scope and I wasn't expecting too much.
Old November 17, 2007, 11:49 AM   #10
cohoskip

I had a 3X9 on my Ruger 10/22 and it was a great scope. circa 1993

NRA Life Member
Old November 18, 2007, 09:21 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Yeah, ok, I'll concede - maybe they're not ALL junk. But that IS the conventional wisdom: Old Jap-made==>good; newer China-made==>notsomuch. How can you tell the difference by looking at one?