The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

sierra vs rem bullets

At twice the price, I dont think there is any real doubt that sierra game kings are better quality than rem core locks. My question has always been, how much better are the gk? I had a bag of core locks sitting on the bench for a while that I bought on impluse. I was working up a load for a recently aquired Rem 308vs. I intend to shoot this gun a lot and had 500 rem 150 core lock that I wanted rid of so I thought I would see I could make them shoot well enough for play and coyotes etc. No suprise the game king shot better than the core locks, but I was impressed with the performance of the cl for the price. The 165gk averaged about 1/2" for five shots at 100. The 150 core lock averaged 1.2". At 350 yd the game king shot about 2.5" and the rem cl shot under 4". It was windy and both may have done better under calm conditions, but the comparison was fair. The game king is a great bullet and I will stick with it in the future. The core lock is not a competion bullet, but offers suprizeingly good performance for their price. For most hunters and shots under 300yd, the core lock offers good performance for thoes pinching pennies.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.

Last edited by Ammo Junky; December 25, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old December 24, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I think for the most part the Remington bullets are fine, I just get stellar accuracy with the Sierras, and I have driven Sierra 225 BT bullets comeplety through 4 elk and at not the best of angles. I think I will stick with the Sierra bullets. Noslers work well too. I certainly can afford premium bullets if I choose, but I see no real reason to argue with my success.
Old December 25, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
castnblast

I shoot both through a 7mm mag and a 22-250. (Rems and Sierra's). I prefer the Sierra because you can't get a remi in a boat-tail that is not a thin match jacket. I like the boat-tails because of their retained down range velocity. But for my varmint rounds, the remi's are just fine. I have some 55gr. hollow points w/ cannalure that shoot great in my 22-250, but since my 22-250 also doubles as a deer gun, they are still on the bench, as I would not use that bullet to take a shot at a deer. Wrong bullet, for that application. The thicker jacket of the game king is much better for that purpose. I like the 160 gr. Sierra's for my 7mm. Same purpose.
Old December 25, 2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Trapper L

I have pretty much kicked the Sierras to the curb and shoot mostly the Remmys. I believe if you will play with the OAL on those Core-Loks you can get the .5" group of the Sierras. Seat at .005 from the setting you have now, both shorter and longer, and give it try. Most of my remmy loads are in the .05" range, so should yours.
Old December 25, 2006, 11:59 PM   #5
ziggy222

i like the sierra no doubt ,but i got better groups than sierra,hornady and nosler with the remington 50grain hp in my browning varminter in 22-250.the bullets looked very rough and were dirt cheap so i was very surprized.