The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 5, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
vchange

What are the benefits for being a gun club member?

I'm sorry for my ignorance but except for having a discounts in ammo,firearms, free shooting range,ptt and meeting several gun Enthusiast what are the other benefits that i dont know.BTW im from valenzuela Philippines like shy_man .thank you very much.
Old May 5, 2006, 07:51 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

It would depend upon the club. There is no set formula for benefits for private organizations. For example, the gun club I belong to has excellent facilites for most any discipline. We have a trap range, a skeet range, combat range, cowboy range bullseye range general utility ranges and open shooting bays. There is also a clubhouse with a kitchen and a meeting hall. We have maintenance facilities for all of our ranges and a welding shed. There are storage buildings for the various disciplines also.
I've been to other clubs that are at the opposite end of the spectrum- basically just a piece of ground to shoot on.
I also belong to an indoor range that lists the discounts you refer to. When I lived in town it was more convenient also.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3
PaulBk

Extra Privileges

The main incentive (for me) to join a range as a member rather than as a guest or general public admission are the extra privileges that go with membership.

At both indoor ranges near my house, the general public is welcome to shoot, but only members can draw from rentention, draw from concealment, double-tap, etc. So training time is much more relevant.

The outdoor range I belong to closes to the general public at 6pm but members can stay until 8pm, allowing low light/no light practice.

-PB
Old May 5, 2006, 09:22 PM   #4
vchange

thanks for the replies, its really nice to be here in thefiringline forum.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
rhgunguy

Looking down your nose at non-members.

Just kidding. I joined my local Izak Walton League. I don't think I will renew my membership at the end of the year. They don't allow drawing from holsters. The outdoor ranges are 25 or 50 yards for pistol, 25, 50 or 100 for rifle, no in between. The indoor range is pistol only 25 yards and you pay $5 to use it when it is open for a few hours three days a week. I was seduced into joining because they told me they were thinking about putting in a practical shooting range, but come to find out that thinking and doing are very far removed. The guest tag I paid $10 should only be used once per guest. I suppose that they expect that guests will overwhelmed by the facilities and drop $100+ for their own membership.

The only reason that I think I might stay is that I can drive 10 minutes to shoot trap instead of half an hour. But with only one trap range to use other than on trap night, it could get crowded.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6
shy_man

Hi! vchange:

Other benefits you got from a legitimate gun club are:
1. In our case (Philippine settings) you can easily get a Permit to Transport of your firearms within a period of 2 days thru your gun club. If not a gun club member, you could hardly get a permit to transport or cannot get at all. Not unless, change of residence.
2. Gun club can easily process license renewal or when getting other gun related documents. They have better access and right connections to (FED) firea arms and explosives division.
3. There are a lot of things they can fixed that is beyond the capability of an ordinary gun enthusiast that is not a member at all.

Note: not all gun club anyway has that easy access to FED it depends on the owner or president of said gun club how influence he is.

Other gun clubs is exlusives only for certain members that belong to a particular strata in life. Some gun clubs accepts members in all walks of life too as long as you can pay the fee.

Am glad knowing that one from my place is also a member in TFL.
Thanks,
Old May 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #7
Wyo Cowboy

At my "club", you have a key and can access the range at almost any "reasonable" hour. You want to shoot by your self on Thrusday mornings, go ahead. You want to try out those new Tritium sights in near dark, no prob. You want to setup a multipul target situation with shoot/no-shoot, No problama.

Also, being a member adds to the revenues of the range and helps insure that it will still be around.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:23 PM   #8
candr44

I joined one so I could have a range to use where not just anybody can walk in. I went to a free public range once and literally everything there had several bullet holes in it. even behind the firing line and the bathroom. The posted rules sign also had several shot gun blasts in it. I would rather shoot where the rif raf is kept out.

Kumusta ka how are things in the Philippines. My wife is Filipino and we were in Arayat, Pampanga in April. We went swimming in Mololos, Bulacan and wanted to go to Baguio but the hotels were all booked due to holy week. We did stay in Makati for a few days. We had a great time there exept at one swimming place. Four guys in street clothing started looking around in the park with Uzis and M16,s. I wasn't sure if they were NPA or cops looking for someone so we left.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:56 PM   #9
solz56

At the range I joined, here are the advertised perks:
Free gun rental
Free range time (even during peak hours)
Ability to reserve lanes for groups
Discounts on training classes

Unofficial perks:
Better lanes when busy (get lanes away from newbies)
Better prices on accessories and guns

It doesn't sound like much, but if you shoot there twice a month or more, it is more than worth it.

At this range, you have to be a member or bring a gun to the range in order to use it - same for rentals. This keeps the clientele better than the "rent to anyone" ranges.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old May 6, 2006, 02:44 AM   #10
vchange

shy_man:
yes sir im from ugong valenzuela also. I was encouraged by your post to buy an armscor m1911 A1 9mm but still on process. Some gunstore said that it will be for 2 to 3 weeks time but unluckily in hahn(where I bought) they said it will be 45 days to 2 months. I just purchase a gun for home defense only but of course i wanna have a couple of firing when i got it. Ive been from tough guys cubao yesterday for firing picture that now required for the gun safety and they are trying to convince me to join the gun club. Is it ok to ask you where do you usually fire or shoot? What is your gun club? Sad to say Im not rich I dont have much money to spend but in tough guys the membership fee 2000PHP might be affordable. I think we are both member of DTO because I was posting there before and panther claw sounds very familiar to me. Im a computer programmer (MIS Dept Head) and Im glad that you are also in computer business. thanks.

candr44 :
Im fine ikaw kumusta.I hope you enjoy your stay here in the phils. Im happy that you know how to speak tagalog and your wife is a Filipina. Being very loving and dedicated is part of our culture . Its so sad to hear about the four guys and thank God you and your wife are safe. The guys you just said might be a cop,npa or both. I wont explain it here because I know that your wife can explain it well. Maraming salamat po.

I wanna give thanks to all. Your posts are big help for a newbie like me. Again thank you very much.God Bless.