The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Ferretboy

Difference in Washington and Nevada gun laws?

I am considering relocating from Washington to Nevada, I have poked around on line and read what I can find but thought I might ask here for any personal experiences or just someone's thoughts on what I may have missed.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Gun laws & statues....

Id look at www.handgunlaw.us www.nra.org www.gunlawguide.com .
The NRA's ILA(the political wing that monitors elected officials) can show you how the state's political leaders act.

I, for one, wouldn't move to the LV area of NV.
I looked into it about 6 years ago & had a job opportunity with a federal agency in metro Las Vegas but when I researched the area it seemed very - .
They have high unemployment, violent crime/gangs/illegal immigration, problems with drinking water/irrigation, RE problems.
No area of the US is perfect but Las Vegas NV isn't that great.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
David13

I think Clyde Frog has it right there. There are like two Nevadas. Maybe 3. Reno is also a stink hole. As is Vegas.
The small town rural areas are a little better, but even some of those seem to have problems, like large cities.
I think the general idea is that Nevada has attracted, or given birth to the wrong kind of people. Or maybe just a higher percent.
dc
Old October 13, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Ferretboy

I was thinking outside of Reno, someplace a little country.
Old October 13, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
sigcurious

I can't say the differences since I don't know WA, but some highlights of NV: handgun registration in Las Vegas/Clark County(blue card program). OC unregulated, CC class and shooting req, time to permit dependent on issuing county. State preemption on almost all firearms laws(excludes things like discharge within cities etc). State run background checks for purchases, $25, waived with CCW. Lots and lots and lots and lots and a lot more of BLM land most of it open to shooting. Generally speaking, a firearms friendly state.
Old October 14, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Rossi357

1st post....long time lurker.

I have family in Las Vegas that I visit about twice a year.
I open carry there and have never had a problem. Even from law enforcement. A few looks from the natives is all. I am planning on going there for Xmas.
Concealed carry requires a license. A class and all the rest is easy. Clark county, only, requires registration for state residents. You get a blue card that you don't have to carry with you.
www.nevadashooters.com is a good source for info.

Last edited by Rossi357; October 14, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old October 14, 2013, 04:22 PM   #7
tmorone

One thing I didn't like about WA when I lived there was how limited NFA items were. Don't know if that is a concern for you, but I was only able to have silencers in WA (no SBR's, etc).
Old October 14, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

I spent over 20 years in Carson City - nice small town when I moved there and stable with the state government workers. Then the meth gangs moved in and the LA gangs, etc. Unless you are looking at Lovelock, Elko or similar and can deal with being hours away from a major place, you will always have that issue.

Upside? 83% Federal open land so hunting, shooting, camping, off-roading, etc. are about limitless.

Also has one of the highest total sunny days per year and no state income tax (like WA)

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; October 14, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Ferretboy

Wa has no state income tax, but the Liquor tax is killer at 20.5%