The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2013, 01:09 PM   #26
Bart B.

Good stuff on how case dimensions change when fired and resized.

The Rifleman's Journal: Basics: Resizing - Case Dimension Changes
Old October 12, 2013, 01:39 PM   #27
F. Guffey

That article was almost as boring as a conversation that starts with "Hatcher said,,,,". Choices: There is full length sizing and no choice. I am not a fan of name dropping, I do not have heroes, I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel, I am the fan of how and why, when it comes to thinking I am a fan of the free thinker.

And as always I determine the length of the chamber fist. Then there is that part where reloaders must do it like the bench resters? That is like pretend, pretend you have a bench rest type rifle etc..

F. Guffey
Old October 12, 2013, 02:17 PM   #28
George4376

Your cases have been fired in machine guns which are known to have generous headspace and chamber diameters,perhaps a small base sizing die would help.
Old October 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Bart B.

George, what is the dimension for "generous" headspace in a machine gun, for example the M60 using 7.62 NATO ammo?
Old October 13, 2013, 03:58 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Bart,

Good point on marking the spacer. I've used headspace gauges to zero these things before, then just looked at the resulting +/- readings on cases afterward. But zeroing first on the spacer, then on the GO gauge will give you a difference from the go gauge that should be constant for all cases with that same datum diameter as long as the shoulder angles aren't much different. Or, you could measure the GO gauge, then zero, then remove both the spacer and the gauge and close the jaws. The resulting number, less the minus sign, could be recorded, then you'd just open the jaws to that number and hit zero every time you wanted to use that same spacer with that same cartridge. No more Go gauge needed, as you point out.

Flanged Oilite sleeve bearings are another item I've used. The hole diameters are more exact. The flange makes it a little easier to hold square to the caliper jaw.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle