The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1
chris in va

Powder for cast 9mm and 45?

I started with Universal, but had some unburned powder with lower charge weights. Switched to PB on a couple recommendations but I find it extremely sooty and it leaves quite a blackened mess.

Any other suggestions? Remember, cast not jacketed.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

For cast bullets most pistol powders will be sooty. In 9mm due to it being a higher pressure round the powder will burn a little cleaner on the higher end. In .45 ACP most powders are going to be on the dirty side.

That said for cast in both I use Bull's Eye. It works for me, and what I am doing well enough I am not going to mess with changing as long as I can find it on the shelf of the gun store.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, some folk don't do Bullseye, but I load it and have for years and just bought a pound a few days ago, just because I could.

7000gr divided by 5 equals 1400 shots per pound for the .45 and even more for the .38 and probably the 9mm

Yes, it could allow a double charge if your ducks are not in a row, but I still use it and will continue to do so as was indicated by the last poster,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old January 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

WW 231 is all I use for .45 and cast or jacketed.

When I reloaded 9mm, it was all I used for it, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Shootest

I have used Bullseye for 30 years with good results in 9mm, 38spl, 40s&w, and 45acp.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

As I seem to recall, the 231 is very compairable to the Bullseye as per burning rate.

CDOC
Old January 10, 2013, 08:44 PM   #7
reloader28

Like Custy said, I think they are close, but I use Bullseye.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
chris in va

Thanks guys, got a pound of Bullseye to try.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
grubbylabs

I have to clean my guns after shooting any way, so it does not matter to me if one powder is not as clean as another. I use Unique, it is cheap and works well for both.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old January 11, 2013, 12:43 AM   #10
NWPilgrim

I think most of the soot when shooting cast is from the lube because it seems every powder is dirty with cast. I've shot 9mm with W231 and Unique. Trying some Bullseye, Universal and Power Pistol this year.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:48 AM   #11
hounddawg

how much difference in accuracy will a different powder make in a pistol? Reason I am asking is yesterday I was extremely disappointed in a ladder workup using W231 and 124 gr lead.

I am just shooting off sandbags not a ransom rest so I am not expecting 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards but I was getting 6 and 8 inch groups. I did better shooting freehand so it might have just been my technique. Still I am wondering if I should try some jacketed bullets or switch powders first. Dirt soot etc is not really a concern as much as accuracy.

Last edited by hounddawg; January 11, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Gdawgs

Powder/bullet cominations can have a huge impact on accuracy in certain guns. In one of my revolvers, using Unique powder causes the bullets to tumble during flight. So I can have one bullet hit 5 feet to the right of the target, and the next one could hit 5 feet to the left. You just don't know where it will hit. With different powders it works fine. Then when I shoot those Unique loads out of a different gun, they work fine.

That is an extreme example though. Most combinations won't have that much difference.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hounddawg,

As Gdawgs says, powder can have a big effect.

However, what is your handgun to be used for?

There are hunting guns which may also be used for fun plinking and there are those which are best suited for and best used for personal protection.

If your firearm is for the last use, personal protection/social issues, 25' (or less) and not 25yds is what you should be concerned about.

I have some of both, but for the personal protection/social issue firearms, that practice is up close and personal, my concern being able to rapidly place my shots in such a fashion as to cancel the possible threat ASAP.

But, not being there and seeing for myself just what was taking place, I'd still say it is most likely the bullet and not the 231 causing the problem.

Try the loads at living room distances and see what they do.

Do they function the firearm with 100% relyability?

If so, Maybe the best answer is buying a RUGER Mark II or III and a back seat full of .22 ammo and learn how to shoot with a firearm likely much better suited to the 25yd targets or plinking.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot