The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2000, 11:35 PM   #1
tuc22

First of all which do you prefer, strong side or cross draw? Second, how is your blade oriented?, i.e.,thumb to hilt or thumb on end/pommel. Describe first strike on target from draw since there are parallels to drawing a handgun like retention ready, low ready,high ready, and CQB point index/shoot. A knife is a formidable weapon and legal in the sense of open carry in a sheath, also a good option in summer when concealing full size HG is difficult.
Old June 25, 2000, 07:24 PM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

I prefer to carry the knife on the offside but I do not cross draw it. I see the knife as an aid in firearm retention or as a space maker should the situation be one that the aggressor is too close for me to effectively draw and fire the firearm. Last would be a close quarters threat that did not allow a shot via the proximity of non aggressors too near or behind the target. For all such situations I wear the blade on the Off side (my left) and draw it and use it with the off side hand. It is carried most times in an IWB Kydex sheath. I draw it using a reverse grip. This allows for a variety of immediate strikes inline with the draw stroke. Very fast economy of motion with lots of power.

The Knife for me is never a substitute for the firearm but rather an additional tool in a system of preparation.

------------------
“This is my rifle, there many like it but this one is mine …”
Old June 26, 2000, 04:55 PM   #3
Young Buck

I say leave the knife at home, bring a gun to the fight

------------------
To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Old June 27, 2000, 04:10 AM   #4
tuc22

Well, I'd say at conversational distances I can do as much if not more damage with a blade, and create a bigger wound channel with more loss of blood. Not that I want to leave my pistol at home but I do recognize that it's not with me 24/7. I like my options and a knife can go more places, period.
Old June 27, 2000, 06:03 PM   #5
G50AE

The important thing to remember is, it is not how fast you draw your blade, but how fast you get your blade to make the fatal cut.