The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
mrawesome22

Powder from bottle to powder pan.

Just curious how you all get your powder from the bottle to the scale pan. Right now I dump some powder in a plastic cereal bowl, then use a 1/4tsp cooking measuring spoon to get close. Then I trickle in the rest. It works pretty good. Just wondering if there is a better way.
Old December 28, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Bullet94

I use one of these –

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...300&type=store

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...03X&type=store
Old December 28, 2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Stargazer

When I hand weigh as you describe I use a small wide mouth glass to hold the powder then as you do a small measuring spoon to trickle in.

M70 Web Page
Old December 28, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4
capbuster

Most of us have used the method you described and there's nothing wrong with it. I dont use the bowl but I keep an old plastic speer bullet box sans a lid for holding powder.You might make a homemade scoop out a cartridge case that comes close to the powder charge you need and finish up with your powder trickler. I use a piece of twisted wire as a handle for the scoop. I have read where some solder on a piece of metal to make the handle.
Old December 29, 2006, 12:34 AM   #5
firechicken

I pour my powder in an old plastic coffee cup, then use the Lee dippers to get me close, then trickle. If you have the whole set of dippers, you can usually find one that will get you within a few twists of the trickler.
Old December 29, 2006, 01:46 AM   #6
Edward429451

I pour it in the powder measure and set it close but light, then dump 50 rnds or whatever into brass and then into the pan 1 at a time to be trickled topped off and then to a different loading block of finished weighed ones.
Old December 29, 2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Bullet94

Edward429451

I do the same as you. Have you tried these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=480995
Old December 29, 2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Edward429451

No I haven't. I've been using the one pc green plastic ones. I have caught myself dropping granules of fine powder when I didn't have that case mouth snug enough up in the spout too! I need a couiple of those caliber specific funnels. Thx for the link.
Old December 29, 2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Foxman

I used to do photography and use a couple of these graduates in 3 1/2 oz
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
they are low cost and make it real easy to get it into pans or funnels couple of bucks and they last forever.
Old December 29, 2006, 06:13 AM   #10
Rico567

I assume you mean you're doing this when you're loading a number of cases. If it's only a few, any method will do....

I first set up my Uniflow measure to throw a grain or so under. This can be done quite quickly. I then throw this short charge and trickle up into the scale pan.

Since I also bought the RCBS electronic scale / dispenser combo, I can use that method, but this equipment is pretty expensive. If you want lots of really accurate powder charges and only push a button, though, this is the way to go.

- Mark Twain
Old December 29, 2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

I also do exactly as firechicken does - old plastic coffee cup (been using the same one for about 40 years) and a set of Lee dippers. However, instead of using a trickler, I find I can trickle powder from a Lee dipper much easier and faster. After a while you get a feel for exactly how many grains to let drop to make up the gradations necessary to zero the balance. It's also easier to remove a small number of grains from the pan with the dipper if you go too far.
Old December 29, 2006, 11:09 AM   #12
bigautomatic

I made a half a dozen of these in different charge weights by cutting down the case with tubing cutters. And cost me $0.00, nothing, nada, zip.
Old December 30, 2006, 12:37 AM   #13
Bullet94

Quote:
mrawesome22
Just wondering if there is a better way.

Looks like all the different ways to load listed above will work. I don’t think there is a better way just different ways. Your way should be just fine.
Old December 30, 2006, 01:45 AM   #14
mrawesome22

Yeah, sounds like we're all doing about the same thing. I did like the wide mouth glass. I might have to get one. I'm thinking like a giant shot glass.
Old December 30, 2006, 03:46 AM   #15
Stargazer

I have been using that wide mouth "drink" glass now for over 30 years. It's only about 3 " tall and about that or more wide. Powder flows in and out of it real nicely too.

M70 Web Page