The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 29, 2020, 12:44 AM   #1
the1mu

Guide for AR Builds

I've decided I would like to wade into the AR Build camp and specifically I want to build a AR pistol chambered in 300 aac blackout. I was hoping to find a kit and go from there, but even the kits I am looking at don't seem to have a lot of guidance/instruction. So, does anyone know where I can go to get a full guide? Even if it is buy these parts, heres how to assemble, instead of a kit, I'm ok with that. Just really would like "someone" to hold my hand the first time around so that I don't miss anything.
Old June 29, 2020, 08:20 AM   #2
9x19

A good starting point is video instructions...

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=11004
Old June 29, 2020, 01:13 PM   #3
44caliberkid

YouTube is your friend. 100's of videos about building AR's.
Old July 2, 2020, 02:38 AM   #4
Metal god

Quote:
but even the kits I am looking at don't seem to have a lot of guidance/instruction.
What specific guidance are you looking for . If it's just how to put a lower together , youtube is your friend .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcko0UlvQxQ

If you need guidance on why type , barrel length , gas system length and twist rate . Well that's wading into the weeds for sure . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNl7QXykUY&t=1195s

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 2, 2020, 06:32 PM   #5
10-96

For an actual book you can flop down on a table and waller around with, The Competitive AR15 by Glen Zediker is a very good one. He does good going into the Why's and not just the How's.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old July 9, 2020, 09:55 AM   #6
smee78

I also used youtube as a guide for my first builds. Its not bad once you have done it a few times, that's when it gets expensive.....
Old July 9, 2020, 10:06 AM   #7
7.62 man

Just do a search for AR building on YouTube & sit back to watch. After about 5 or 6 videos you will get the idea of how easy it is to assemble these play toys.

But before you start to build go to home Depot & spend $2 for one of these that makes the hardest part of the build easy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...5418/204276164
Old July 9, 2020, 11:12 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 man View Post
Just do a search for AR building on YouTube & sit back to watch. After about 5 or 6 videos you will get the idea of how easy it is to assemble these play toys.

But before you start to build go to home Depot & spend $2 for one of these that makes the hardest part of the build easy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...5418/204276164
What do you use that pin for? I have only built one AR, from a complete upper and a kit lower and do not know why I would have needed that pin.
Old July 9, 2020, 02:52 PM   #9
9x19

You can use it to insert the forward take-down pin detent.

Insert clevis pin where take-down pin goes (from left side to right), align one of the clevis pin holes with the detent recess, insert detent spring and detent, use a pin punch (etc) to push detent in and rotate clevis pin 90 degrees to retain it. Use take down pin to push out clevis pin.
Old July 9, 2020, 03:38 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
You can use it to insert the forward take-down pin detent.

Insert clevis pin where take-down pin goes (from left side to right), align one of the clevis pin holes with the detent recess, insert detent spring and detent, use a pin punch (etc) to push detent in and rotate clevis pin 90 degrees to retain it. Use take down pin to push out clevis pin.
Although I had no trouble inserting that forward take-down pin detent, you solution is elegant...I wish I had known.