The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2020, 03:41 PM   #26
HiBC

From long ago,the designed process for loading bottleneck rifle cartridges with a two die set in a single stage press,was to lube the cass,The press was equipt with a primer arm and tube priming process.

The lubed case went into the shellholder,upstroke it was sized and decapped,downstroke it was primed.

So it became sized,primed brass n one opertation. It worked prtty well for reloading. But yes,attention had to be paid to the priming.

For some reloaders who progressed to handloaders,They wanted to use a universal decap die,then clean the brass Before running it into the sizer die.
Now you have sizedmlubed,unprimed brass. Not a bad time to tumble in corncob. Clean,dry sized brass.

Yes.I can relax with my RCBS hand priming tool and just prime brass as its own project. And t is true,I do have better priming control.

Clean,sized primed brass!!

Set up the powder measure and seater die.

Charge .inspect level,and seat.

IMO, the decap /vibratory bowl stage leads to naturally batchng operations.

Which makes a hand priming operation reasonable. FWIW,I prefer the RCBS tool to the Lee
Old July 7, 2020, 07:33 PM   #27
pwc

Please show me, by quote, from #16, #18, or #20, or #24 where in my posts that I'm looking for an argument. Your post #21 took exception to my statement that seated is seated, and that the method of seating (on or off press- for clarification) is still a matter of personal preference. That is a fact and can't be disapproved until one or the other is mandated (by whom?) for all reloaders.

We will both continue to reload by our own proven procedure to get whatever result each of us is looking for, so there never was, no is, an argument.
Old July 7, 2020, 09:45 PM   #28
Marco Califo

I happen to like the feel using a hand primer.
Off topic drivel indicates a thread has run its course, pwc. You are arguing when not posting discussion of priming. "You show me . . ." Right there.
Old July 7, 2020, 10:40 PM   #29
pwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
I happen to like the feel using a hand primer.
Off topic drivel indicates a thread has run its course, pwc. You are arguing when not posting discussion of priming. "You show me . . ." Right there.
You like your method, I like mine.

Agree, topic should be closed.