The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 29, 2020, 06:39 PM   #1
cw308

Just felt like I hit a homerun

Fell back in love with my safe queen , after many years I started looking at my Colt AR15 HBar , changed the original trigger , fired great . Started looking on line with different videos on the AR's . Then I saw one video where in the but stock was a cleaning rod with a chamber brush and slotted tip . I looked in the buttstock my mouth dropped and after all these years 31 to be exact there it was . Never knew it came with the weapon. I guess I did hit a homerun with this one , it is in perfect .
Old June 30, 2020, 05:13 PM   #2
bfoosh006

No offense intended at all.... but, LOL.

Make sure your pistol grip doesn't have a storage compartment ...

I gotta ask... given the cleaning kit hasn't had any oiling in decades, what was the condition of the parts in the buttstock compartment ?
Old June 30, 2020, 05:39 PM   #3
cw308

They were brand new , the AR was never fired at an outdoor range , and was in my gun safe almost all the time . Would wipe it down maybe once a year but never got the bug to shoot it . I am a Vietnam combat veteran so the 16 was part of me back then . It didn't have a compartment in the stock for the cleaning rod or a forward assist , it was also lighter then the Colt HBar , the hand grip is hollow so I think it's out of surprises. I will keep a boresnake in the buttstock instead of the rods . I rather clean with a one piece rod . Thanks 6 for answering my post . Hope things are going well , Be Safe.

Chris
Old July 3, 2020, 01:44 AM   #4
Metal god

Quote:
I looked in the buttstock my mouth dropped and after all these years 31 to be exact there it was . Never knew it came with the weapon.
That cracked me up , it's like x-mas lol

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 3, 2020, 06:45 AM   #5
cw308

Glad it put a smile on your face Metal . Not much to laugh about in the past weeks , Be Well .

Chris
Old July 3, 2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Nathan

Are you gonna shoot it? Oops I read OP again and see you did...cool.
Old July 3, 2020, 08:42 AM   #7
cw308

Nathan
The range opened up last week , it will be a every week shooter ,.

Chris
Old July 5, 2020, 03:14 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

See if there is room in the butt trap for the snake and the rods. Clean with the snake, if that's your preference, but keep the rods just in case. If you ever need to "punch the bore" (and that includes driving out a stuck case) you cannot do that with a snake. No matter how nice the snake is, its still a snake.
Old July 5, 2020, 09:57 PM   #9
cw308

Good advice , will do . I also keep the front sight adjustment tool in there too
Old July 5, 2020, 11:22 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Two other items to consider stowing onboard, spare firing pin retaining pin, and spare Extractor. If you can only choose, one, choose spare extractor (w/sprng). You might, possibly find a replacement cotter pin or something that can be made to work.

You won't find a field replacement for the extractor (unless taken from the bolt of another AR).

Some years ago, I got a semi tommygun, great fun, but on the third stick I fired, the extractor claw broke off, and it was done.

I ordered 2 replacements. One went into the bolt and the other went into the butt trap, just in case. Decade and a half down the road, my son has that gun now, its running fine, but he knows the spare is in there, if he ever needs it.

Not saying you need a full parts kit, only that the extractor is small (easily stored) and its better to have it, and not need it than the reverse.
Old July 6, 2020, 07:07 AM   #11
cw308

You opened up that can of worms . Firing pin, cam pin ,extractor & spring , gas rings . Making up a list with Brownells . Looking at my list ording a complete bolt assembly with firing pin and cam pin would cover almost all bases . Maybe I'll make a bracket to hold a spare upper on my HBar, thanks again 44 Be Well , Back the Blue.

Chris
Old July 6, 2020, 03:58 PM   #12
Metal god

Check out PSA for parts . They have all kinds of repair kits . I've bought several and could likely build a few AR's with all the extra parts I have .

Well everything seems to be out of stock :-( but scroll down you'll see what I mean , lots or cool kits
https://palmettostatearmory.com/cata...+15+repair+kit

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 6, 2020, 04:48 PM   #13
cw308

Metal
If you wanted a extra extractor or cam pin for a Colt AR 15A2 HBar would PSA parts or other brands work in all AR's ? I know there are differences in barrel lengths , gas tubes , and buffers. I'm mainly looking at extractor & spring , firing pin , gas rings and cam pin. My forward pivot pin is a screw type , no detent , no big deal , I will keep it that way. I clean after every firing and I use the Parker Hale jag on my 223 /5.56 and Rem700 308 , great cleaning surface , I keep a O ring at the rear of my rod to allow me to know when my jag reaches to end of the barrel to protect the crown. Thank you for all your advice.

Chris
Old July 6, 2020, 05:54 PM   #14
Metal god

Yes I believe so but to be honest I’m not 100% sure about 30+ year old rifles but I think so . Let me ask this , I know you don’t use detents for your take down and pivot pins but do you have that choice ? Is there the ability to convert to the now “traditional” take down and pivot pins ? There are trigger pens that take screws but you don’t have to use those types it’s just a feature that can be added is that the same as your take down pen ?

EDIT

I've been looking for your specific model and what I see appears to show that you DO NOT have the reservoir for the front pivot pin detent and spring . I'd need to see the right side of your rifle to be sure . I'm surprised really that they went to the small trigger pins but didn't go with the now standard take down pins as well . Still so much to learn about the history of this platform . 44amp should know and Stagpanther is pretty knowledgeable about the platform .

Last edited by Metal god; July 6, 2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old July 6, 2020, 06:44 PM   #15
cw308

Metal
On my AR the magazine housing is flat no tunnel to drill , the trigger pins are the.154 small . The lower is stamped Colt AR15 A2 Sporter 223 , the upper barrel is cmp 5.56 1/7 with the bayonet lug , flash serpressor , round shaped forward assist serial # SP 2231XX I see people don't show to complete number for some reason . I'm pretty sure most parts are mil spec.but I'm just getting back to the AR sport shooting. I like the difference in the LaRue 2 stage trigger . I just sighted it in at 25 yards ( indoor range ) . It was shooting alittle low and one click off to the right , now it's nuts on and a pleasure to shoot . After this craziness are over ammo and parts will be easier to buy . May not reload 223 but am saving my brass if I decide to role my own . 55gr. indoors at 25 yards is working well even with American Eagle , outdoors our ranges are max. 200 yards , will see how 55 works at 100 but most likely will go heavier for 200 , 1/7 twist can go heavier , never tried them though . That's the fun of seeing how that little bullet flies through the air at longer ranges .

Chris
Old July 6, 2020, 07:06 PM   #16
Metal god

I'd love to understand the history of that model . It's interesting they called it a sporter but it does not have what usually constitutes a sporter . In firearms that's usually a shorter barrel and often with a lighter/thinner profile as well . Which yours has neither , things that make you go hmm ?

Old July 6, 2020, 07:29 PM   #17
cw308

Metal
Do you keep a record of round count with your AR's , I do for my 308 . I try to keep the barrel from getting too hot , I read the barrel life for a chrome lined barrel is 8 to 10 thou is that true? I used the M16 in the service and never worried of wearing out the barrel . Ignorance is bliss .

Chris
Old July 6, 2020, 08:07 PM   #18
Metal god

Quote:
I read the barrel life for a chrome lined barrel is 8 to 10 thou is that true?
I do not keep track of round count for most of my AR's , really only one . That's my CMP high power NM rifle and It's not seen the outside of the safe in years . I don't shoot my AR's often and when I do I take a different one out each time so even if I put a couple thousand through them a year its only a few hundred each really . That's likely and under guesstement but the general point is valid . I have one AR that's not been shot in 5+ years and a couple others that may have seen 200 rounds each in the last 2 or 3 years .

Most of that has to do with me shooting pistol more these last few years and I'm a bolt gun guy really which I hope to dive back into for the next couple years .

Total round count should be more like 20k+ but that also must take into account what your definition of barrel life is . 8 to 10k may be right for it's from new accuracy to where it drops off a bit but it should shoot well far beyond that . Kinda like you bench rest guys saying you only get 800 rounds through a barrel before it's shot . I'd likely take that "shot" barrel and get a few more thousand happy rounds down the pipe .