The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2018, 04:20 PM   #1
ms6852

Walther PPK/S opinions needed

I recently got the itch to buy a Walther PPK, simply because I like the look of it. I normally carry a 22 mag NAA as a backup but now I want to carry this particular gun. ONLY this model. I would like to hear the pros and guns of this handgun from first hand shooters that own one or have fired it. Thank you in advance.
Old December 10, 2018, 04:40 PM   #2
shurshot

.380 or .32ACP? I have owned both, still have my Interarms PPK/S SS .380. VERY accurate and well made, but if you have big hands, the slide can bite you during recoil. I grew up watching 007 Bond films, so I have always liked Walthers. Heavier than smaller plastic guns now made, but for a 1920's design, it's a classic and a good CCW weapon in an IWB holster.
Old December 10, 2018, 04:44 PM   #3
mk70ss

My experience with that exact gun is this: heavy for the caliber, pipsqueak little sights, and VERY heavy double action trigger. But they are very high quality and so cool.
Old December 10, 2018, 04:47 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

I had a Walther PPK (interarms) in .380. I carried in the pocket for many years, and regrefully sold it. More recently I also wanted to get another one, but then decided on a Sig P230 which is very close to the same platform, but much, more refined with a better trigger and better sights. Only very slightly larger, I no longer have a desire to get the PPK.
The Sig is like the modern version of the PPK.
Old December 10, 2018, 08:08 PM   #5
ms6852

I was thinking getting the PPK/S .380, and yes I have big hands. Sorry to hear about it biting the hand on recoil as I have a 1911 Springfield GI that does the same. Does one in a 32. acp bite as well or is the design a little different. I carry a .357 686, so I do not mind buying a .32 acp. I know the sights are small but have you seen one in a NAA 22 mag? For me this will be a belly gun just in case. It will still offer me protection in a last case scenario. I saw and handled a Sig 238 very nice but looks more like a 1911. I went to the Sig website and did not see the 230, is this a discontinued gun? Thanks for the replies.
Old December 10, 2018, 09:09 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

The Sig 230 was replaced by the Sig p232, but they are now out of production, but available on the used market.

Here's a thread with pics:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597424
Old December 11, 2018, 03:25 PM   #7
223 shooter

Quote:
I would like to hear the pros and guns of this handgun from first hand shooters that own one or have fired it. Thank you in advance.
I have a stainless Interarms PPK/S in 380 and 1971 German PPK/S in 22lr. I really like them. I was out shooting the 380 a few weeks ago. The PPK/S 380 has been totally reliable with all factory and reloaded ammo. The PPK/S 22lr seems to be partial to hi-velocity like CCI Mini-Mag.

I have smaller hands and the slide bite is not a problem for me.

I'll attach a pic - this was 30 shots at the 7 yard line with the 380.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 380 PPK S.jpg (127.7 KB, 58 views)
Old December 11, 2018, 05:55 PM   #8
cw308

The 380 PPK/S is a great carry firearm , I carried it for years until I let my daughter fire it , first time out all 7 rounds in the black at 25 yards , I couldn't believe my eyes , and when she said " dad I love this gun " from then on it was hers . Couldn't shoot it as well as my daughter but it never gave me a problem . I now carry a Colt New Agent in 45ACP came with CT Laser grips , need all the help I can get .
Old December 11, 2018, 06:45 PM   #9
stephen426

My mom had a PPK/S and we ended up trading it for a Sig P230. The trigger is long and heavy and the gun is heavy. Recoil is bad for a .380 acp. With all of the options available today, there is no way I would get a PPK/S or any .380 ACP gun for that matter. There are so many great sub-compact 9mm choices out there. 9mm is a cheaper and more powerful round. It is more readily available and there are more choices for self defense ammo.

I really like my Glock 43 and would pick that over the PPK. If you really want a .380 you can get the Glock 42 or any of the Keltecs. PPKS is way too heavy for a wimpy .380 acp.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:15 PM   #10
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Recoil is bad for a .380 acp.
REALLY???
Old December 11, 2018, 07:24 PM   #11
ttarp

While the build quality is certainly nicer on the Walther, from my personal experience I'd take a BERSA .380 over a PPK/S. I like the slide release on the BERSA, and they are a little less prone to slide bite.

As far as the too heavy/big for the caliber, its actually pretty much the perfect size/weight for .380, just because you can shoehorn a 9mm into the same size pistol doesn't automatically make it a good/better idea.
Old December 11, 2018, 08:44 PM   #12
JERRYS.

I had a ppk in the 90s. I got slide bite once in a while but not every shot. mine was only 100% with FMJ. D/A trigger was heavy, gun was heavy for the caliber and had snappier recoil than my at the time S&W 3913 9mm.
Old December 11, 2018, 08:56 PM   #13
tallball

I have held the Walther versions and owned the Hungarian versions (FEG) that are close copies. They are okay, neither great nor terrible. They are about as accurate as any service pistol that size in those calibers that is blowback.

I have heard that the Walthers were designed for 32acp and tend to be more reliable with it. My 32acp FEG is more pleasant to shoot than the 380acp version, though the 380 isn't terrible.

I paid about $150 for the little FEG 32. IIRC mine is called an AP9, but I think they were exported under more than one model name. They have an aluminum frame and are very nicely balanced. My FiL bought himself one after he shot mine. They are easy to find for $200. As far as I know they are pretty much a rip-off of the Walther. The 380's are also still easy to find and inexpensive.

My Sig P230 is much more refined. It seems like basically the Walther design, but somewhat improved upon. I got it for pretty cheap. I think it was originally a foreign police or military pistol. Mine is 380. I have heard that 32's exist but are rare.

I wouldn't mind having a Walther for fun. For carry I think an LCP or G43 are superior for different reasons, but doubtless the Walther would do its job if the shooter did theirs.
Old December 11, 2018, 10:21 PM   #14
ms6852

Thank you all for your reply and have mad my decision...yes it is a ppk. As far as the bite I won't feel it with a glove when I practice or in a real life scenario under stress. Any way this will be carried on my weak side. For now I carry a revolver just recently started buy most of my life it has always been a 1911. I always carry two firearms and the weight has never been an issue. This is where a well constructed heavy pistol belt come into play or a shoulder harness. Once again thank you.
Old December 12, 2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Ignition Override

With a slightly lighter Wolff recoil spring my "Made in Germany" PPK/S became very reliable.

But I didn't care for the DA trigger (are there spring mods which help?) and the recoil was not as pleasant as with Makarovs-the actual, true Makarovs from EG, Russia, Bulgaria and PRChina.
Old December 12, 2018, 06:56 AM   #16
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
With a slightly lighter Wolff recoil spring my "Made in Germany" PPK/S became very reliable.

But I didn't care for the DA trigger (are there spring mods which help?) and the recoil was not as pleasant as with Makarovs-the actual, true Makarovs from EG, Russia, Bulgaria and PRChina.

What weight do you recommend?

I have read that the trigger weight is 12-17 pounds. It feels like 10 to me.

Recoil is nothing in mine. 15 yards is my max that I can shoot, but I need to practice more.

Sights are so rudimentary in the modern age. It is the most limiting aspect of this pistol.

Slide bite is possible but it is a matter of grip technique.

Weight of the pistol is not bad. I am very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 12, 2018, 02:50 PM   #17
tarhealcracker

I was gong to urge you to check out the Bersa Thunder 380. Ops. Too late.
Old December 12, 2018, 02:58 PM   #18
ms6852

I have thought about the Versa as it carries more rounds but have not compared it side by side.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:49 AM   #19
Charlie98

Quote:
Recoil is bad for a .380 acp.

REALLY???
It is... compared to a locked-breech .380 like a Colt Government .380. The recoil impulse of the Walther is far sharper than my Colt.

I have a Gov't .380, my brother has a PPK/s. Shooting them side by side, the Walther is almost the polar opposite of the Colt... DA vs SA, slide mounted safety vs frame, blowback vs locked breech. One thing I will agree on... the sights stink on both of them!

Fit and finish... the Walther is probably the better of the two, but my Colt .380 is an '80's era Colt, which means it rattles like an old Ford on a gravel road.

OP, if you want a Walther, get a Walther. You'll find in short order if it's for you, and weather or not you want to carry it.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 13, 2018, 06:07 PM   #20
Cosmodragoon

I only have the experience in .32 acp and it's a lot like some other famous all-metal pistols in that caliber, such as the CZ 50, CZ 70, Mauser HSc, etc. You get a fairly attractive, relatively small, and fairly dense handgun with relatively mild recoil and firepower that's marginal by today's standards. That doesn't mean it can't save your life. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. I actually like that kind of pistol a lot. I'd certainly carry one if I didn't have modern options that work better for me in an EDC role.

Since it looks like the decision is made, I think it's important to recognize that guns can be valued for sentimental, historical, or cultural reasons. Sometimes, we like a gun because it's cool. Sometimes, we feel good carrying it and it makes us happy. So long as we are proficient with it and we keep it in good working order, is it the end of the world if we let ourselves enjoy it?

I know a guy who does. He is in his seventies. He has never needed to defend his life with it. However, he has put a few wounded critters out of their misery with it. He can knock the same bottles and cans off a fence post that I can with 9mm or .327 Federal, and he can do it in double action. He is a happy guy. God bless him.
Old December 13, 2018, 06:18 PM   #21
grinner

Thanks for starting this thread. I’m also considering a PPK/S, but have been finding so many different reviews, I’ve just about decided to buy one and try it out myself. I can afford to lose half the price if I decide I don’t like it and sell it. This thread has pretty much made up my mind to just do it.

I’ve shot .357 Magnum out of a j-frame and didn’t go crying to my momma, so I think I can handle the recoil of .380 out of a PPK.

One question, though. I have found absolutely no reviews on the new models made in the Ft. Smith, AK factory by Walther-USA, only the older ones made by Interarms and S&W. Does anyone here have one of the new ones? What do you think of it?
Old December 13, 2018, 09:23 PM   #22
ms6852

"I’ve shot .357 Magnum out of a j-frame and didn’t go crying to my momma, so I think I can handle the recoil of .380 out of a PPK."

This is my belief as well Grinner. I now carry a .357 and man it is stout, but still manageable and I can handle a .357 I can handle a .380.
Old December 13, 2018, 09:33 PM   #23
MoArk Willy

I too would have suggested the Bersa Thunder .380. I decided that the PPK, although a fine firearm is a little too pricey for me. The Thunder is a dead ringer for the PPK and it is the size I was looking for. You may want to make the comparison and save yourself a few $$$.
I currently have a S&W Bodyguard and the Bersa both in .380. I suppose if I was looking for another .380 it would be either the S&W EZ or the Sig. Both are easy to rack and have features worth considering. For me, arthritic hands help make the decisions for me.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:05 PM   #24
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoArk Willy View Post
I too would have suggested the Bersa Thunder .380. I decided that the PPK, although a fine firearm is a little too pricey for me. The Thunder is a dead ringer for the PPK and it is the size I was looking for. You may want to make the comparison and save yourself a few $$$.
I currently have a S&W Bodyguard and the Bersa both in .380. I suppose if I was looking for another .380 it would be either the S&W EZ or the Sig. Both are easy to rack and have features worth considering. For me, arthritic hands help make the decisions for me.
Is the Bersa the same size as the PPK/S.?
Old December 14, 2018, 03:14 PM   #25
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch
REALLY???
Yes. As Charlie 98 also mentioned, the recoil on the PPK/S is snappy fo just being a .380 ACP. My mom is a bit older and has some wrist problems (some carpel tunnel). The Sig P320 shoots much softer than the PPK/S. It may have to do with the shorter slide travel so the springs don't have enough room to damp the recoil. If the springs were stiffer, she would have an even harder time to rack the slide.