The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
oley55

Royal Case Lube separating?

I have had this jar of Sharp Shoot R, Royal Case Lube for several years and every time I try it again, I nearly stick a case. The stuff feels more like Vaseline than sizing wax. I almost tried it again today on a couple cases, but for no good reason I turned the jar upside down and found a brown spot in the center of the jar, (not visible from the side when sitting upright). It almost looks like the wax or whatever may have settled out to the bottom center of the jar. I do keep it in a hot Florida garage and that may be have contributed to the separation of components, if that is what has happened.

Attached are pics showing the inside of the jar and bottom of the jar. Not a big deal since I am going to pick up some Imperial Sizing Wax, just wondering if others have had this problem with Royal Case Lube paste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.JPG (110.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.JPG (100.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by oley55; December 4, 2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old December 4, 2018, 01:42 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I do keep it in a hot Florida garage and that may be have contributed to the separation of components, if that is what has happened.
Every chemical compound has a shelf life. And its only good under "proper" storage conditions. Check with the maker.

Once you open a container of something with a volatile component (which are the compounds that keep the mixture liquid) they begin to evaporate. The rate varies with the material and conditions, of course, but once the factory seal is broken, the process starts.

Ever see paint dried up in a tightly capped bottle or can? That's what happened. WARM storage, like a hot Florida garage speeds the process.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:34 AM   #3
cw308

I have two bottles of RCBS Case lube from the 80's both are doing well but there not sitting in one place for long . In the summer 30 cases per week 308 winter 50 cases 45 ACP . My use it will last a lifetime . Tried Imperial was for a short period of time , then went back also cleans off , water soluble .

Last edited by cw308; December 4, 2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
gwpercle

Looks like mould growing in their....I would trash it and get a small bottle of STP oil treatment for heavy duty sizing . For normal sizing operations I like Lee Case Lube mixed with denatured alcohol , dissolve as much lube into the alcohol as it will hold, put in a spray bottle and use as a spray lube. The stuff is waxy and not greasy, spray on, roll cases around , it dries fast and wipes off easily and is water soluble ....good stuff.
Gary
Old December 5, 2018, 02:19 PM   #5
cw308

oley55
Just saw the pictures , dump it . Case lube will last along time no need to buy so much . RCBS Case lube come in a 12 ounce squeeze bottle , will last year's . I'm sure you could scoop the bad portion out and use what's left .

Chris
Old December 5, 2018, 09:38 PM   #6
oley55

gravitational attraction or repulsion?

well I played with that jar of Royal case lube just because I was curious. It is not mold but rather something in the formula that has separated it'self out. Strange that this stuff seems to be drawn or attracted to it'self. Basically the brown blob on the bottom extended up into the center of the jar. Some vigorous mixing with a bamboo cotton swab stick seemed to do the trick. But to make certain of the blend, I submerged the jar in tub of hot faucet water for a while and then thoroughly stirred again. The brown has completely disappeared and the lube looks/works about as good/bad as it ever did.

No doubt there is a technical term for when a substance gravitates out of suspension in a solution like this did. But it is still weird. In my experience components will separate and the lighter material moves to the top and the heavier to the bottom. This stuff mostly gravitated to the center and seems to have been attracted to it'self, or was repulsed by other components.

Say, maybe this is how the planets started forming? In a jar of case/die lube.
Old December 7, 2018, 06:40 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
I like Lee Case Lube mixed with denatured alcohol
All it is is lube for pulling wires through conduit. If you like it, you can get a gallon of it for cheap.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:30 PM   #8
oley55

I normally use the Dillon spray lube or Sharp Shooter Royal Aerosol when I am sizing multiple cases. I do however have occasions when I only need to lube one or two cases, and a finger applied paste lube is quick and easy for those limited applications.

Regardless, I greatly appreciate the recommendations for other lubes.