The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Dano4734

When and where to hunt hogs in Florida

Always wanted to hog hunt. It’s on my bucket list. Can you advise were in Florida I could do this and when is the best season. I have my rv but and would like to post somewhere and try to get one. Have no idea where to go
Old November 6, 2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Capt Rick Hiott

,,,,,"When"?

I would say February,,,where,,,I don't know
Old November 6, 2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Doyle

Public land? Private land pay hunt? You need to be a little more specific.
Old November 6, 2018, 08:11 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

https://www.google.com/search?q=hog+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old November 6, 2018, 08:12 PM   #5
FITASC

EVERYWHERE, and year round!; please come get them!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 6, 2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Dano4734

Well I don’t know any one so I guess it would be public land. I like hunting myself instead of a paid hunt. Nothing wrong with that but I have friends that always go out deer hunting on some private lodge and it’s like shoot the ones with the red tag not the yellow. To me it’s not hunting but killing.So for me paid hunting falls into that category although I know nothing of pig hunting. I want to do it myself or with a friend and read up and learn how first. When is no issue as I am retired. I looked at the Florida wildlife website and I see dates posted but others say year round. Just trying to get a plan going. When they say 25 quota permits can you reserve any a head of time

Last edited by Dano4734; November 6, 2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old November 6, 2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Doyle

Hunting on public land managed by the state will follow normal state hunting seasons and rules. Or, they will occasionally hold special hog-only hunts outside of normal hunting dates (the county-owned property I used to hunt when I lived there did that as a means to control populations). Hunting on federal public land could either follow state dates and rules or have their own dates and rules - it depends on which agency controls the land. I don't know of any public land in FL that allows you to hunt year round.

Private land is a different story. On private land, hogs are fair game all year round. Getting access to that private land will either require getting permission from the landowner (yea, good luck with that) or paying an outfitter. Some of the outfitters are running "high fence" areas whey they maintain their own hog populations. Other outfitters lease hunting rights from land owners and give the hunters a true free-range hunting experience.

With regard to the limited permits - those are for draw hunts. Lots of WMAs in FL are draw-hunt only.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:13 PM   #8
Dano4734

Thank you great information
Old November 9, 2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Aqualife

You need to look at individual WMA’s. Small game season usually allows you to hunt pigs. Also FWC has redraws for WMA’s so you can get a deer tag which allows you too shoot a pig.

Some WMA allow free camping (some primitive) so I would start there.
Old November 10, 2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
Small game season usually allows you to hunt pigs.
True, BUT they also require you to hunt with small game weapons. I would not want to be deliberately hunting hogs with loads of #5 shot or .22LR.
Old November 10, 2018, 10:18 AM   #11
Dano4734

I want to use my 45-70 lever gun
Old November 10, 2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Doyle

Your best bet is an outfitter. There are lots of them so Google would be your best friend.
Old November 10, 2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Dano4734

Looks like I need to go that way thank you
Old November 10, 2018, 06:48 PM   #14
Aqualife

If you want to pay $300 - $400 too shoot a pig go ahead, the outfitter will appreciate it. Make sure some processing is included in the price.
https://foxbrownoutfitters.com

If you just do a little bit of internet research you can get one pretty easily.
http://www.myfwc.com

Example,
Ocala WMA - Deer season 11/6/18 - 01/6/19 - you can use a rifle
Or
Bull Creek has deer season 11/5 - 12/31 no quota after 2nd week I think

If you find a WMA you like that only has small game season available then you could use Slugs/buckshot, archery or handgun which is what I use. Dan Wesson .357 8” no scope.

A lot of hogs have been taken with 22lr and 22 mag.

1st thing I’d look at is weather. (Outfitter or not)
It was 87 degree today in West Palm Beach (a lot cooler in Jacksonville). I had a deer tag. I’m not hiking in 1-2 miles, shooting a 100 lbs pig/deer and dragging him out whole (can’t gut them till you leave WMA). Then spending 1-2 hours cleaning/quartering it to get it on ice. All the while 87 degrees and 80 humidity.

Or it rains for 3 weeks then you show up and your in knee deep water with snakes and gators. If you hunt long enough in Florida (south Florida anyways) you’ll end up here.

2nd good facilities
Is there a good game cleaning station - you’d be surprised we have some good ones.
Bathrooms - outhouse vs sinks and running water
Showers - rare but some have them

3rd Camping
If you have the first two then you’ll probable have decent camping

Last edited by Aqualife; November 10, 2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old November 10, 2018, 08:06 PM   #15
FITASC

Ocala WMA, you also have the extremely large Ocala National Forest (I used to live there); you'll also have a chance for black bear and whitetail.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 10, 2018, 08:32 PM   #16
Dano4734

Wow so I could use my casull handgun instead in the wma hmm that sounds good
Old November 11, 2018, 04:24 PM   #17
Doyle

On the Ocala National Forest, you probably stand a better chance of shooting a big methhead than a good deer. Lots of beautiful land but for some reason it has never held decent deer populations. It does, however, have a huge population of meth cookers and pot growers.