The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 27, 2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Oldjarhead

Red dot sights on pistols

Are red dot holographic sights effective on pistols in a real life gunfight? Will you really be able to get that red dot in your line of sight, on target at seven yards or less, when you only have time to point and shoot? I admit I have only shot red dot holographic sights on my AR-15. Would like some realistic input. Thanks.
Old April 27, 2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Yankee Doodle

When you only have "time to point and shoot" that is exactly what you have to do. Under 7 yards is an instinct shot range, and if you can't hit at that range, you need serious practice more than a red dot sight.
Just my opinion. and you have paid me exactly what it may be worth to you.
Old April 27, 2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Oldjarhead

Tweesdad, I guess a better question, is at what minimum range would a red dot holographic sight be useful.?
Old April 27, 2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Oldjarhead,

First, Semper Fi

Second, i have 2 RMR sighted handguns. 1 fullsize M&P and 1 Glock 19. I am also a professional weapons and tactics trainer (now in private practice).

Here is my take on reddots on handguns after about 8000 rounds and a year of use on those guns.

At ultra close range (contact to about 3yards) the red dot is not going to come into play. Shots at those distances should be taken from a retention position out to partially extended and looking over the gun. So the sights are not actually used regardless of type of sights you have.

From 3-5yards just looking thru the window and seeing his chest will give you good hits, regardless of the dot being visible or not. This assumes you have the training and practice to draw the gun with enough kinesthetic awareness to get the hits on tgt. Looking thru the window just CONFIRMS reasonable alignment.

5-7 (maybe 10) yards you should see the dot somewhere in the window. The good news is that at those distances, you should have a complete draw stroke and be at full extension.

Beyond 10yds is where the reddot SHINES (pun intended). Single focal plane, no misalignment of front and rear sights...MUCH more consistant hits from 15-100yards.

The other place the reddot is worth the price of admission is small tgts at close range. A head shot at 7 is EASY, pick which eye to hit and press the trigger gently....Done

Most CCW shootings happen pretty close and the reddot is really not needed. As a LEO who might need to shoot farther then 3-5 yards, i think its a good way to go IF you are willing/able to put in the reps to get proficient with it.

My paster has an RMR sighted G19. He figures if he has to go to guns with an active shooter be wants the most accurate system. I agree and my RMR sighted gun goes to service with me.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:14 PM   #5
bamaranger

video

Look around on YouTube and see what those pros running red dots in unlimited class events in competition on plates and so on can do with a dot! Pretty staggering. I'll add, even on my AR carbine, I could hit close targets, faster, with a dot than the stock peep.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Quote:
even on my AR carbine, I could hit close targets, faster, with a dot than the stock peep.
The difference with a pistol mounted red dot is the lack of cheekweld and stock contact with the shoulder. When you stock onto a rifle the cheekweld puts your eye behind the sights

Not so with a pistol.
Old April 28, 2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Oni_Kadaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite
The difference with a pistol mounted red dot is the lack of cheekweld and stock contact with the shoulder. When you stock onto a rifle the cheekweld puts your eye behind the sights

Not so with a pistol.
Very true. I've seen USPSA matches where shooters had VERY expensive rigs, only to have difficulty finding the dot because they hadn't practiced acquiring it enough.
Old April 28, 2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Oldjarhead

Thanks for the rsponses.(especially Sharkbite) I am not a competition shooter. I do conceal carry, and real life gunfight preparedness, is where I fall. If say having a say, Trijicon RMR is an advantage, I would say the old adage , to have it when you needed it, rather than needing it, and not having it. Looking to get Kahr P45 soon. Maybe an RMR will fit nicely on it.
Old April 29, 2018, 09:29 AM   #9
pete2

Truth is red dot sights are great IF the battery ain't dead. Keep it simple. Added info, you can get a prism scope for rifle/shotgun that has the dot etched in the prism, it's black til you turn it on, then red or green.
Old June 19, 2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Tom-R2

I had a cataract on my right eye that made sighting more difficult, I was transitioning over to my left eye more and more. I had a Trijicon RMR mounted on my slide and it made things much better, although the dot had the traditional 'halo' that headlights do with cataracts. I could keep both eyes open for the depth perception, even with the blur, shoot better. I had cataract surgery last week on my right eye and although I've not been out to the range yet, I can say that everything is much clearer now, and I expect even faster, better sight acquisition in the near future.