The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 10, 2006, 11:04 AM   #76
FirstFreedom

I'm sorry Smokin Gun - maybe I misunderstood you, and I over-reacted. Carry on.
Old August 10, 2006, 12:44 PM   #77
Smokin_Gun

Not a problem at all FirstFreedom.
Forums are sometimes difficult to explain when it comes to posts and replies. Meanings can get lost in type very easily.
I'm glad we got to parle.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 10, 2006, 03:15 PM   #78
tinker2

I like to shoot, I like to shoot all guns. Some more then
others but I like to shoot. I also like to hunt.

I have my opinions, preferences and prejudices.
They are based on the fact that I have been in the gun
business all of my adult life, retired mostly now, and
my opinions, preferences and prejudices are mostly
based on the type of person that buys what type of gun.

Enjoy and be safe
Tinker2
Old September 13, 2006, 07:55 PM   #79
MacGille

Inline vs sidelock

I've been a muzzleloader fan for 40 or so years now, I like traditional rifles. As far as I'm concerned people who use inlines are cheating. The primitive rifle season was originally for traditional hunters. If you use modern technology to circumvent the intent of the law you are cheating. Maybe it's legal, but that doesn't make it right. That said, I will not tell anyone else what to do. If inlines are for you, God bless you. If you (like me) prefer the traditional gear, then hooray for you. I have regressed to the flintlock persuasion. I made my rifle from scratch and my buckskins, my knife, and my tomahawk. An old cow horn for powder, extra flints, patching material,(unbleached muslin) patch knife, ball starter. Obviously all of this is much more than just hunting. It recalls a way of life that was filled with rugged men and quite a lot of danger. I enjoy shooting a great deal. I use modern rifles too and even have a .50 inline pistol. ( a Christmas present from my son). I don't hunt anymore because I Don't want to kill anything. I am not a vegetarian though. For archery I use a long bow and wooden arrows that I make myself. The use of primitive weapons helps me to keep in touch with the ancestors who fought for this land since 1746. So keep on shootin' America regardless of type of rifle. And always remember "Scots WHa Hae"
Old September 15, 2006, 01:15 AM   #80
Wayner

The state of Colorado banned inlines for awhile and raised a stink in the inline world that put a nasty taste in the mouth of the manufactures. They got involved and got the state to accept the inlines. Inlines were percieved in the beginning as not being true muzzleloaders that the muzzleloading seasons or primitive seasons were created for. You know primitive hunting seasons for primitive hunting rifles. Well the velocities and powder charges of inlines that were advertised by some manufacturer of inlines as being equal to or surpassing 7mm magnum performance caused the perception by state administrators that inlines weren't primitive in performance so they should be banned from the primitve seasons. Pa. still bans percussions and inlines. Well, if the performance of the inlines surpasses the balistics of rifles like the 30-30 and the 45/70, or the 44 mag lever action carbine that are not legal in some states even in regular deer season how can muzzleloader hunters justify the use of their rifles that definitly are not primitive when primitve is what the seasons were created for. The people that struggled to fight the political red tape to have the primitve seasons created for the primitve hunter should feel threatened by the performance of the inlines that just gets stronger and more powderful by leaps and bounds. There is the Savage inline that fires smokeless powder. There is a new inline on the market that can fire 250gr. of powder safely. When an inline muzzleloader can rival and surpass the ballistics of a 30-06(fire a heavier bullet faster) and be in the ballistic arena with a 458 Winchester magnum and fire spire point bullets with boattails I believe the primitve seasons can definitely be jeapordized or ended. Should the seasons be closed because the inlines aren't primitve enough? I don't believe so because a more efficient firearm means that a good hunter just has the means to be even more ethical about killing game cleanly. A muzzleloader is a muzzleloader is a muzleloader is a...... I'm a Traditionalist and like the Hawken rifle but.....I'll get an inline someday just because there are some really great shootin inlines on the market. The one that catches my fancy is the new one by Austin Halleck. The inline muzzleloader that looks just like an 1892 Winchester lever action rifle. hee hee That is one nice little gun. The Knight 52cal. rifle that fires the 50cal. bullets in the sabots is one honey of a rifle too with some good long range potential. Big heavy bullet going fast....man, I like that idea. I must be a hypocrit traditionalist to be getting sucked into all this inline rifle stuff. Well, the real Jerimiah Johnson whose real name was John Johnson loved the Hawken rifle too but.....history has it that him and some buddies bested some unaware Indian foes by using the then new "needle rifles" as they called them that could out distance the contemporary muzzleloader. The new to the world Trapdoor Springfield 45/70 cartridge rifles. The mountain men loved the things. They did all the things they wished their old muzzleloaders could have done. hee hee If a person believed as I do that these are the good old days that we are living right now than truely Traditional a couple hundred years from now will be people copying us and the use of inline muzzleloading hunting rifles and copying clothes like Cabelas Gortex jackets and boots and the funny old timely lookin parkas with rain proof hoods and removable inner linners.hee hee hee hee Am I saying that shooting inlines will be considered traditional someday? Yep. Could I dare say that shooting inline muzzleloading rifles may even be considered traditional even now? Well by the definition of the word they have been around long enough for the custom of using them to have been handed down from one generation to the next. I hate to admit it but....hunting with inline muzzleloading rifles seems to be quite a tradition by now. What is this world coming to?
Old September 15, 2006, 09:12 AM   #81
Wild Bill Bucks

Regardless of the choice of weapon, pocket knife, arrows, rifles, pistols, muzzleloaders, inline, hammer type, or pitch fork, the success of the hunt, lies in the hands of the hunter. It makes no difference what you hunt with, if you are a bad hunter, you are just a bad hunter. The cost or make-up of the weapon, isn't going to change that. A good hunter, will recognize his skill limit, and will be successful with his preferred choice of weapon, more often than a bad hunter will, with no matter what he is carrying.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; September 15, 2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: My spelling is terrible