The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2018, 08:29 AM   #26
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Never thought to look at Yootoob for a video on my 410.

That guy really needs to up his presentation skills...
That's the earliest sootch video I've seen. Note the 2010 post date! Here is a recent video from him reviewing a Smith and Wesson product. I think he upped his skills a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_9NLpaqts

Quote:
But you would consider a Sonic Screwdriver wouldn't you?
He said "revolver geeks", not British science fiction geeks.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:59 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But you would consider a Sonic Screwdriver wouldn't you?"

Only if it were chambered in .38 Special

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 5, 2018, 02:16 PM   #28
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Huh. Never thought to look at Yootoob for a video on my 410.

That guy really needs to up his presentation skills.
That's 90% of YouToob gun videos. 90+%.

"Wut up youtubers."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 5, 2018, 02:58 PM   #29
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
"But you would consider a Sonic Screwdriver wouldn't you?"

Only if it were chambered in .38 Special
I think that would be a Sub-Sonic Screwdriver.....

Two snub revolvers ain't a bad idea. It certainly worked for a lot of NYPD officers and TV private eyes.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2018, 08:53 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It certainly worked for a lot of NYPD officers and TV private eyes....."

I'm neither.

Their needs and requirements are significantly different than mine, so I'm not going to use them as my baseline.

Old December 7, 2018, 08:25 PM   #31
dgludwig

Quote:
... However, that left me with some internal conflict because I view .38 special in a snub with the same "marginal" lens as .380 and five shots isn't a lot. Getting into .327 Federal a couple years ago really saved this carry choice for me.
My latest choice too (an LCR) for most of my concealed carry duties (in the past, I was carrying either an original Colt Cobra or a Smith & Wesson Model 12). However, I still tote my long-time duty pistol, a Smith Model 6906, from time to time, depending on where I plan to be and when and why. And, if I have to be in a really bad part of town, a SIG Model 227 goes along with me. There are times and places when and where power and capacity have potentially life-saving, self-defense roles to play.
Old December 7, 2018, 08:37 PM   #32
Rangerrich99

The 410 is a nice gun.

I won't bother you with what I think you should carry (I mean, what do I know about your situation, anyway), but I would consider carrying it with the decocker OFF.

I mean, it's a DA/SA, right? And you're a DA revolver guy, so carrying a gun that's only safety is a long, heavy trigger pull should be instinctual at this point. No need to practice flipping that decocker off during the draw, just leave it in the fire position.

Just a thought.
Old December 8, 2018, 05:36 AM   #33
chaim

Wow Mike, moving away from revolvers for CCW?!?! What is happening to this world?

Seriously, why not? It is a personal choice and if you are confident in your auto and are in seedier parts of the area so you feel more comfortable with a larger caliber (but still easily carriable gun unlike a larger caliber revolver) or more capacity, or both, why not?

That said, all metal 3rd gen S&W now, like someone else said, could be said that you are still on the same track. It is still a pretty traditional gun. From revolvers only to now revolvers and traditional metal framed autos. Of course, it is a slippery slope. I started with revolvers only for HD and theoretical future CCW. Then I got into a few autos and decided that I was just that, a revolver and traditional metal framed auto guy. Now, while I do own several, and some of my carry guns are metal framed guns (I have a CZ P01 that I might eventually use for its intended purpose at purchase, I just got a CZ 75B Compact, and I have a couple 1911 style guns in different sizes), I have a .45ACP SIG P250 in my nightstand gun safe for primary HD use, a SIG P290RS for occasional pocket duty, and a S&W M&P 40c for CCW when I'm in a carry state but don't choose to carry the Officers or Commander size 1911. About 90% of my carry is one of those autos (almost 50/50 between the 1911s and the M&P) and bit less than 10% is revolver these days. So, maybe in a year or two you'll be reporting carrying your 1st Glock or S&W M&P?

As for the weight loss, congrats. I've been following it on Facebook and you've been an inspiration (though I haven't successfully followed suit yet).
Old December 8, 2018, 08:40 AM   #34
DukeConnor

I have tried MANY different EDC's over the years. I always end up going back to my Smith 3913 or 6906.
Old December 9, 2018, 08:43 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I mean, it's a DA/SA, right? And you're a DA revolver guy, so carrying a gun that's only safety is a long, heavy trigger pull should be instinctual at this point. No need to practice flipping that decocker off during the draw, just leave it in the fire position."

Yes, it's DA/SA. I'd actually be a LOT happier with it were it full time DAO.

And I have no intention of carrying it with the safety on.

Old December 9, 2018, 08:44 AM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I think that would be a Sub-Sonic Screwdriver....."

Nope.

SNUB sonic screwdriver.

Old December 11, 2018, 07:29 PM   #37
1MoreFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
Whatever happened to all those 3rd gen Smith's? I was "lucky" enough to pick up a .45 Model 457 over the weekend for $420. Have a 669 and a 6906. Lost my best one, a 3913, in a "domestic" dispute some years back. Have bunches of firearms but the, now old, Smith's are tip top.

Smith & Wesson, in their ever infinite wisdom, decided to stop manufacturing them, selling them, and supporting them all while bragging about their lifetime warranty on their guns.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:26 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

I only really ever liked two S&W semi-autos -- the 3913 and 645/4506. For whatever reason those two fit my hands particularly well.

I never gave much time to the other Smith semis over the years. Shot a bunch of them, but they just didn't impress me.

I have to say that I'm quite favorably inclined toward this 410. It really fits my hand nicely.

The only issue I have with it is minor -- the trigger, when in double action first shot, pinches my finger against the top of the trigger guard.

That's not a problem after the first shot, and it's really not even a problem, just a bit annoying.

Other than that, the more I shoot the 410, the more I like it.

I need to get it to the range to run it through its paces with the Winchester ammo I've picked for carry use.

Old December 16, 2018, 02:11 PM   #39
Rachen

Quote:
Welcome to the last century.

(Sez the guy who carries a 1911.)
I do the same man. There ain't nuthin' wrong with it either, no matter what the tactical fanboys say.

I alternate between that and my cartridge-converted 1858 Rem for when I am feeling really nostalgic. I ain't Wild Bill Hickok but I can draw and fire either weapon with deadly effect if I ever have to.

For a semiauto handgun I would recommend the Kahr/Auto-Ordnance 1911-PKZ to anyone who is looking for a powerful and rugged handgun but retains all of the tradition that comes with a noble and classic weapon. The parkerized finish on mine gives it a battle-hardened look. I load it with Critical Duty when I am carrying it.
Old December 17, 2018, 11:49 AM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

I first shot a 2nd Gen SW 9mm way back when. I loved the 3rd Gen. I still regret passing on a 3913 LS that was on sale. But my kids' tuition came first.

It's a good gun, Mike!

There are the 3953s for DAO, if you can find one. I heard SW won't service this line of semis anymore.

I'd be fine carrying one and an extra mag.
Old December 17, 2018, 12:52 PM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

I'm proud of you for doing this. I would consider a 9mm though, to be honest.

My pops carries a Smith and Wesson 639 and loves it to this day.

Quote:
Consider the options of having pistol on belt and revolver in pocket, especially if carried in weak hand pocket.
I did this for a while. I used to carry a Smith and Wesson 360PD or Model 60 no dash appendix and a semi-auto on my primary hand.

I also agree. There is no "weak side"

Good stuff, Mike!