The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2022, 01:14 PM   #1
pmandayam

m&p bodyguard 38 locked up

So I was dry firing my polymer m&p bodyguard 38 revolver with snap caps and the cylinder and trigger started locking up. So when it did, I manually adjusted the cylinder or trigger to get it back to normal before continuing the dry fire. It slowly started getting worse, and eventually it locked up completely.

Now the cylinder is out, and I can't push it back into the frame because the metal star inside the frame that rotates the cylinder isn't pushing in all the way to make room for the cylinder.

So, is there any fix I can do that doesn't void the warranty or do I need to ship this back to S&W?

I've been aware of the "locking up" complaints levied against this model by many members on the web and especially on this forum, and I just hoped that it wouldn't happen to my gun.

What a bummer, this revolver fit my hand perfectly and was super light weight.

After S&W fixes it, I'm not sure what to do with it. I really really don't want to sell it, but if it's this unreliable, I might just trade it in for a 442 j-frame. Or just give up on revolvers altogether.
Old November 9, 2022, 02:19 PM   #2
warnerwh

Make sure there isn't a tiny piece of grit under the star. It takes very little to lock it up. If the ejector rod screws in be sure it's screwed in all the way. If everything is spotless then hopefully someone else has an idea.
Old November 9, 2022, 05:07 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Binding like that is probably going to be the ejector rod tightened/star nut tightened.

I'd just send it though. S&W is really good about free shipping and fast fix.
Old November 9, 2022, 06:31 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Just so you know: The ejector rod is usually a left-hand thread.