The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 30, 2022, 03:49 PM   #1
kilotanker22

S&W 686 Plus .357 Magnum

Recently traded a Glock 43x for a S&W 686 plus. Now that I have had the opportunity to shoot it, I am impressed. I almost feel bad for the guy I traded the Glock to. The revolver is way nicer.

Anyway, who makes the best sights for these guns? Not a huge fan of the factory installed sights. I would love to have some sort of ghost ring sight for it if such a thing exists. What say the people of this forum?
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 30, 2022, 05:02 PM   #2
MC 1911

No idea on sights but you did get the better end of that deal!
Old August 30, 2022, 06:21 PM   #3
rodfac

Ghost rings on handguns...are really a peep sights with a more open aperture. Peeps are effective when close to the eye as when mounted on a rifle's receiver.

In use, you look through them and focus on the front sight/target. A handgun, held at arms length or even close in will not allow that, & loses significant precision offered by a standard front post and rear leaf sight. They hinder accuracy at distance and offer no speed advantage for close in shooting.

That's the reason they've not become common in over a century of revolver use.

You've traded for a truly outstanding revolver...I have one, albeit a six-shot, that's superbly accurate...on the order of sub 2" groups at 25 yds with the factory supplied sights. It's a bit heavy in 4" bbl. lengths, but that is offset by its performance with full house magnum loads where the weight helps subdue what some have called "heroic" recoil. With target loads, wadcutters at the old FBI load velocity of ~900 fps, it's a pussycat and a good choice for carry. Good luck with yours.

Best of luck. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; August 30, 2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old August 30, 2022, 06:52 PM   #4
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Ghost rings on handguns...are really a peep sights with a more open aperture. Peeps are effective when close to the eye as when mounted on a rifle's receiver.

In use, you look through them and focus on the front sight/target. A handgun, held at arms length or even close in will not allow that, & loses significant precision offered by a standard front post and rear leaf sight. They hinder accuracy at distance and offer no speed advantage for close in shooting.

That's the reason they've not become common in over a century of revolver use.

You've traded for a truly outstanding revolver...I have one, albeit a six-shot, that's superbly accurate...on the order of sub 2" groups at 25 yds with the factory supplied sights. It's a bit heavy in 4" bbl. lengths, but that is offset by its performance with full house magnum loads where the weight helps subdue what some have called "heroic" recoil. With target loads, wadcutters at the old FBI load velocity of ~900 fps, it's a pussycat and a good choice for carry. Good luck with yours.

Best of luck. Rod
Ya know, I had never considered that's why you don't see those sights on handguns. Your logic is sound.

Mine has a 6" barrel. The factory ammo I have launches a 158 grain projectile at 1350 fps (PMC Bronze Hunting ammo). It is a little heavy, but very nice gun. Handles recoil admirably. Came with a crimson trace grip so I will fiddle with getting it sighted in next range visit.

The guy I got it from lost the thumb piece and thumb piece nut to open the cylinder. Called S&W and they are sending me one for free. I was totally willing and expected to pay for that part.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 30, 2022, 08:37 PM   #5
603Country

I bought a 686+ a couple of years ago, to allow me to take my Python out of the shooting rotation. I had a gunsmith smooth out the trigger to the equal of the Python (single action). If I had to make one shot for money or my life, I think I might reach for the 686+. I load up 158 gr Keith type lead bullets (moderate loads) and 125 gr JHP (warmish loads).
Old August 31, 2022, 01:55 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

LPA does target adjustable sights?
Old August 31, 2022, 02:10 PM   #7
Smaug

Congrats. I too think you got the better end of that deal, but some folks feel like automatic is the only way to go; firepower over shot power or accuracy.

Did you get the 4" barrel or 6"? (or other)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old August 31, 2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Adventurer 2

I own a 686 plus -- put a pic rail on it and a red dot -- 50 yard revolver.
https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-r...nts/?brand=766
Old August 31, 2022, 03:26 PM   #9
kilotanker22

6" barrel.
– St. Augustine
Old August 31, 2022, 03:41 PM   #10
kilotanker22

I have a pic rail for it. Also have an extra red dot or two.
– St. Augustine
Old August 31, 2022, 08:01 PM   #11
rodfac

Kilo...those Crimson Trace laser grips might appeal to you over time. I was strongly against them initially, but got a chance to try them out on a friend's wife's Smith M-637 and soon changed my mind especially for training/analyzing trigger control problems.

She was a brand new shooter when he brought her around. (had almost been raped during an afternoon home invasion). My pal bought her the gun for carry in her purse but needed a place to do some training with her. Our farm range was perfect and we got started.

At first, she held the gun like a dead rat, but with a little coaching, was soon keeping a cylinderful of target velocity wadcutters on an 8x10 piece of copy paper at 7-10 yds. The gun was a used one and came with a set of Crimson Trace laser grips which she tried out and was soon shooting 2-3" groups at the same distances...and double action too. The red dot laser really showed up her problems with trigger manipulation.

I tried them out & found they really showed up any errors in trigger control. In actual use, especially for night work, say at across the room, garage etc. distances, I think the laser would really help.

However, in daylight it's tough to find the laser dot. In my opinion, but their still really useful teaching/correction grip/trigger problems & techniques. It's painfully obvious when the shooter is pulling the trigger off to one side etc. as the dot bounces around!

Lastly, those CT grips feel great... I have size "L" paws and they fit me just fine even on that little "J" frame Smith...and my buddy and his wife have the same opinion as to fit...they're really good.

Best of luck with your 686 and hope you get the cylinder latch fiasco sorted out. The 686's truly one of S&W's greatest handguns. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 1, 2022, 11:47 AM   #12
KMO

I have a Model 686 Plus, and because my eyes aren't what they used to be, I put a HIVIZ fiber optic front sight on it. It's an inexpensive upgrade from the historic orange ramp, and it's easily reversible if you should ever want to restore the original setup. It works for me... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old September 1, 2022, 01:14 PM   #13
gwpercle

A company called ... One Hole Sights makes a rear sight blade for Ruger revolvers , it is a large hole / peep sight ... you look through it and focus on the front sight / target .
Now ...it's a neat set up but ... there's always a but ... I don't know if they make S&W sight blades ... You would think they would make them ... a lot of folks shoot S&W !
Do a search on the name One Hole Sight .
Williams Gunsight Co. may also make a peep sight or set , front & rear, check
www.williamsgunsight.com
Gary
Old September 1, 2022, 08:14 PM   #14
Ruger45LC

I run Dawson Precision fiber optic fronts on both of my 686's, great sights.
Old September 9, 2022, 02:40 PM   #15
kilotanker22

After shooting this gun a few times I am impressed. I have never really been a fan of revolvers, but this one is proving to be a ton of fun to shoot.
– St. Augustine
Old September 9, 2022, 05:11 PM   #16
ChimpMunk20

I am an avid S&W collector and the S&W 686 Plus .357 is a pretty sweet revolver. You made a very good trade.
Old September 10, 2022, 07:15 PM   #17
kilotanker22

I got the cylinder thumbpiece and thumb piece nut from S&W in the mail today. Took two weeks to get here, but when its free I guess I cant complain.
– St. Augustine