The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2018, 04:48 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Load data Unique powder for Berry's 220 grain bullets?

I'm using Unique powder and a batch of 220 grain flat point Berry's bullets. The Berry's website says to use the powder manufacturer's data, but Alliant has no data for the 220 grain.

They have data for 225 grain: 11 grains Unique.

I want light charges because the revolvers are older, collectible Smith and Wessons. The cases are 44 mag.

My favorite bullet for these guns is the 240 grain SWC plated with 7 grains Unique. That gives an indication of what kind of rounds/recoil I like in these guns.

I'm thinking 7.5 grains/8 grains Unique for the 220 plated.

Thoughts?

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; June 16, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old June 16, 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
David R

Sounds good.

I would not go over 11.

David
Old June 16, 2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Do not use 11 gr of Unigue

Berrys website says use any load data for same weight bullet any style. BUT, do not exceed 1250 FPS. Using 44 mag load data will go over the max fps with the 225 weight bullet and 11 gr of Unique.
I concur with 7.5 to 8 gr Unique for 225 bullets. If you want hotter loads go to heavier bullets to stay below 1250 fps. Plated bullets are not built for magnum velocities. If you need that, use jacketed bullets instead.
Old June 17, 2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Charlie98

I agree... 11grn Unique is top end, or close to it. I'm sure as a responsible reloader, you wouldn't start there, you would work your way up.

As a reference, I load 215grn cast bullets in .41MAG with Unique. My standard load is 9.0grn Unique under a cast bullet, general velocities are around 1100-1150fps. I know .41 and .44 data isn't interchangeable, but it gives you an idea. I would probably start at 9.0grn Unique and work my way up to about 1200fps, or whatever your recoil or velocity target is.

I don't have any experience with plated bullets going that fast, but I don't know why they wouldn't behave like straight cast bullets, unless I'm missing something. I regularly run commercial cast .41 bullets to 1400fps, and custom cast bullets to 1600fps (out of a carbine... not a pistol!) without problems.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."

Last edited by Charlie98; June 17, 2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 17, 2018, 09:53 AM   #5
kmw1954

Not exactly an answer but at least another revelation.

Western Powder/ Accurate doesn't have very much for the 44 Special but as I am familiar with some of their powders and their load data I quickly looked thru the 45acp listings at the ones for plated bullets.

In the 45acp Berry's offers the same bullet in both a 185gr version and a 200grain version of which I have both on my bench. The heavier bullet is only slightly longer. So while looking thru the data at these 2 bullets with many powders they are both using the same listed charge weight and the same listed case length. The difference showing slightly different pressures and the lighter bullet being a little faster FPS.

So I would guess the difference of just 5gr between bullets would be marginal at best, even if loaded the same way.
Old June 17, 2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Marco Califo

Why?

Berrys says not to load plated bullets to magnum velocities. As to why:

"Plated Bullets: Not as expensive as Jacketed, cleaner than cast and will not lead your barrel. But you will have to stay away from magnum velocities when loading plated bullets."
https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ3

Why does Berrys say not to? You can read all their FAQs, but remember, they are plated bullets, and the copper is attached at a molecular level in a charged bath (electrolysis). It can be made thicker by longer exposure. Berrys offers regular plated and, in some bullets, thick plated. Thick plate bullets can be driven to 1500 fps, and this may keep you in higher load territory, for many bullet weights, but they do not offer these in 44 caliber.

Berrys also sells "hard cast (about 20 bhu)", that do not carry any fps qualifier. They cost about the same as their plated 44 bullets.
https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bh-44-429-240gr-swc

Further, as to "why", I believe the plated bullet market is largely driven by current indoor ranges general policy of zero exposed lead. Combine that with semi-auto pistol calibers which have taken over the LE and Security markets, and require periodic shooting qualification, and you have a huge market for plated bullets, driven at typical handgun velocities. Note, that this is not driven by the "hand-cannon" market. Years ago, I loaded 240 gr FMJ 44 mag above 1500 fps using H110, and fired them in an indoor range. I was asked to leave, not because of the jumbo fireball illuminating the lanes, but because the steel plate backstop was ringing like a huge bell (and I found out later, was denting the backstop). Now I understand recycled tire material is incorporated in the backstop to absorb more energy.

Plated bullets are soft lead inside: "our bullet is constructed out of a soft lead and then plated with copper, which does not cause the pressure spikes that an oversized FMJ round would."
Old June 17, 2018, 12:21 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

225 grain will do nicely for a 220. Five grains won't matter. 9.9 of Unique will be the start load. 11 is the MAX load for a cast 225. Do not start with a max load for any bullet.
Old June 17, 2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Wrong Oheir. Check Alliants website for all loads using Unique. For 225 gr bullet its 7.5 to 11 gr. Your reduce by 10% utterance is not what Alliant has published.
Old June 17, 2018, 02:13 PM   #9
mkl

I've used 7.5 grains of Unique in my .45 Colts for 30 years or so. Have Rugers, S&W, Bowen, etc. Bullet weight anywhere from 200 to 240 grains. Low recoil, good accuracy, easy on the revolver. I don't think you will be disappointed with what the 7.5 grain load will deliver in your .44 mag.
Old June 17, 2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Charlie98

Just FYI, the 7.5grn Unique under a ~240'ish grn .44 bullet is the 'Skeeter' .44 Special load... no reason why it wouldn't work for the OP, he can always adjust up if necessary.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 18, 2018, 07:43 AM   #11
USSR

Quote:
I've used 7.5 grains of Unique in my .45 Colts for 30 years or so.
And I'm presently using 6.5 grains of Unique in my .45 Colts with 230 grain lead bullets. The minimum charge weight used with lead bullets in reloading manuals is simply the minimum charge weight that they used. Some reloading manuals do not list what is known as "target loads" with lead bullets. As long as you are generating enough pressure to consistently have your bullets exit at a reasonable velocity, you are GTG. Note: I do not recommend that you do the same with jacketed bullets.

Don