The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 02:15 PM   #1
dajowi

Texas School Shooting

According to police the suspect used a shotgun and a .38 revolver. These will now be "assaultized" by the gun grabbers.
Old May 18, 2018, 02:22 PM   #2
TXAZ

Unlike the media, I learned to “wait for the translation” on sensational stories, as most of the media reports in the first few hours / days are filled with inaccuracies, ridiculous speculation and politically motivated statements.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 18, 2018, 02:42 PM   #3
TomNJVA

The OP's weapon account was stated by the Governor of Texas, who also put the casualties at 10 dead and 10 wounded at this time.
Old May 18, 2018, 03:10 PM   #4
sparkyv

Very sad and tragic. And the liberals will jump on more gun grabbing like stink on poo, rather than dealing with the real issues. Such as lack of respect for life, which stems from completely turning away from God.
Old May 18, 2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Dufus

The original media account stated that an AR type weapon was used. A few hours later, Governor Abbott set the record straight.
Old May 18, 2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

^^^^
Read about the AR thing on a good number of news sources. I mean like every one of 'em said that it was an AR. I guess there's some truth to the fake news thing.
Old May 18, 2018, 04:09 PM   #7
HiBC

Folks....

One of the things that disgusts me about about the media ,politicians,and antigunners

Is how quickly they politicize these horrible events.

I don't disagree with most of what has been said,but could we find the dignity and respect for those impacted to think about the kids and families for at least 24 hours before we join the media,politicians,and anti gunners?

I've worked in schools.I have Grandkids,a niece,and a Nephew.

We are all in this together.

At least for today,my thoughts and prayers are with those who suffered.

The rest,we really should talk about... But Later.
Old May 18, 2018, 04:19 PM   #8
chadio

The lunatics go for the low - hanging fruit. There isn't a deterrent.

How do we protect our court houses, airlines, banks, money in armored cars?

What about non-lethal force, such as capsaicin, taser, non-lethal rounds?

Why can't we apply intelligence to this?
Old May 18, 2018, 04:36 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I don't disagree with most of what has been said,but could we find the dignity and respect for those impacted to think about the kids and families for at least 24 hours before we join the media,politicians,and anti gunners?
No one will wait - "If it bleeds, it leads" has been the news mantra since the Civil War; and in today's world with insatiable desire for instant everything..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2018, 04:39 PM   #10
rickyrick

Quote:
Why can't we apply intelligence to this?
Because they don’t care about school safety. They care about getting guns away from the honest
Old May 18, 2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
Because they don’t care about school safety. They care about getting guns away from the honest
True.

Just as I was leaving work, one of my coworkers mentioned that the police had found multiple IEDs ("bombs") around the school. This just demonstrates -- to those willing to see -- that the problem isn't "gun" violence, the problem is people who want to kill other people. Take away all the guns, and they'll still be able to attach with bombs.

People forget that the primary weapon at Columbine was bombs. The plan was to exceed the body count from the Murrah Building in Oklahoma. The bombs didn't go off, so the two losers resorted to the guns as Plan B.

People also forget that the worse school massacre in United States histiry did NOT involve guns. The weapon of choice was dynamite (i.e. bombs). Something like 50 people were killed, and the number would have been twice that except that the charges under one wing of the school failed to detonate.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but we need to get these facts out there. Guns are NOT the problem. People are the problem.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:48 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Interesting how many times such IEDs are found at these events and they are notoriously underutlized, either because they don't work or never get activated.

At this point, I would like to point out that Santa Fe High School was prepared for this event. According to the letter sent our by Sante Fe ISD after the school shooting in Florida this year...

https://www.sfisd.org/cms/lib/TX0221...in%20SFISD.pdf

Safety and security are a priority
Teachers have training
They have emergency equipment
They have emergency drills and repeat the throughout the year
They have security audits
Local law enforcement has extensive training
There are security checkpoints
There are security cameras.

What a bunch of hooey.

No mention of there being actual armed security on any Sante Fe ISD campus. Instead, they apparently were going to rely on unrealistically fast response times of local LEOs to handle a crisis.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; May 18, 2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 18, 2018, 07:52 PM   #13
thallub

One of the people wounded was a retired Houston detective working as a school resources officer.

Quote:
Retired Houston Police officer John Barnes was one of the people shot at Santa Fe High School, a hospital official said. Houston's police chief tweeted that he visited the hospital where Barnes was being treated and that Barnes was "hanging in there." The officer was working as a Santa Fe officer, a police union official tweeted.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/us/te...ing/index.html
Old May 18, 2018, 08:05 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Well thallub, that is interesting. Apparently, he didn't stop the shooter. Apparently there were 2 there at the time and both engaged the shooter "early on."

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; May 18, 2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 18, 2018, 08:22 PM   #15
thallub

Quote:
Apparently there were 2 there at the time and both engaged the shooter "early on."
Yep, some reports claim three officers "engaged" the shooter: who was apparently unscathed.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:24 PM   #16
Targa

My prayers to the victims families and friends. I am sure as hell sick of people not being able to control their evil.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:53 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Teachers have training
They were so well trained that, instead of locking down in the classrooms, one of the teachers pulled the fire alarm, sending students out into the corridors to become better targets.

We don't need gun control, we need stupid control. *(Saw that posted in regard to the Parkland shooting.)
Old May 18, 2018, 11:19 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyv
Very sad and tragic. And the liberals will jump on more gun grabbing like stink on poo, rather than dealing with the real issues. Such as lack of respect for life, which stems from completely turning away from God.
What do you suggest? Adding to Obamacare with Catholi-care? -- A mandatory observance of Christian beliefs put forth by the government, with a non-participation penalty to be collected by the IRS.

God is not the answer.

Responsibility for one's own self and family is the path you should be looking down.

Religion doesn't belong here.
Old May 19, 2018, 01:12 AM   #19
Metal god

Quote:
They were so well trained that, instead of locking down in the classrooms, one of the teachers pulled the fire alarm, sending students out into the corridors to become better targets.
Do you have any official links or quotes to that effect . Early reports were that the gunman pulled the fire alarm . It's my understanding the school just weeks earlier had an active shooter type of safety drill and they were to shelter in place in that instance .

If true that a teacher pulled the fire alarm , then wow someone didn't get the memo on the protocols on what to do in an active shooter situation .

Now this is a guess but based on the scraps of info I've heard . This event took place farely localized in the school . It's my understanding he walked into a classroom ( art class ) and started shooting rather then , lets say pull the alarm and have everyone come to him type of thing .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 19, 2018, 01:32 AM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God
Do you have any official links or quotes to that effect . Early reports were that the gunman pulled the fire alarm . It's my understanding the school just weeks earlier had an active shooter type of safety drill and they were to shelter in place in that instance .
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/18/a...e-high-school/

Quote:
“We shut the door in our classroom, turned off all the lights, did everything we could to get the students safe,” continued Rabon. “Then, the teacher actually ran and pulled the fire alarm, because we had no service to call 911 to let anyone know that there was a shooter.”

Tyler Turner knows the person who pulled the fire alarm. “He saw a guy walking with a gun, so he pulled the fire alarm,” the student said.
Old May 19, 2018, 01:52 AM   #21
Metal god

Quote:
because we had no service to call 911 to let anyone know that there was a shooter.”
That would be funny if it weren't so truly sad . I'm sure they meant well in the panic of the moment not realizing everyone in the school was hearing the shots being fired and the 911 switch board was likely lit up at that moment . Although not the same . I live by an intersection that has car accidents often . I actually stopped calling 911 many years ago when I hear a crash because I was always told . Thank you sir we've received several calls and already have emergency services dispatched . Turns out I was not the only one that heard the crash just like that teacher was not the only one in the school hearing the active shooter .

I hope I'm never in a situation where my split decision actions can result in people living or dying especially if I'm fearing for my own life at the same time .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 19, 2018, 07:54 AM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Interestingly, maybe not. The fire alarm did get a lot of people out of the school and to safety before they even knew there was a shooting happening.

Quote:
Fire drill and gunshots
Angelica Martinez, 14, told CNN that an alarm sounded, as well as gunfire. She and her schoolmates at one point were evacuated "like it's a fire drill."
"We were all standing (outside), but not even five minutes later, we started hearing gunshots," she said. "And then everybody starts running, but, like, the teachers are telling us to stay put, but we're all just running away."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/19/us/te...ing/index.html

Many students already outside when they hear shots. See vid clip here...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44173954

I am not saying this was necessarily the right decision in this case or any case, only that it did actually help in this case for at least some of the student population. If accurate, it got a lot of students out minutes ahead of the danger.

And the reason it may have helped in this case was because the shooter appeared to be targeting particular individuals and not people he liked. https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/us/te...ing/index.html
Old May 19, 2018, 09:47 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are too many conflicting reports at this point. We don't know what actually happened or what the actual sequence was. As a man I used to work for liked to say, "Everything you see in the newspapers is true ... unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."

Who pulled the alarm, and when? Was there an orderly fire evacuation, or was there a mad scramble? We seem to have people saying both.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/18/a...e-high-school/

Quote:
“As soon as the alarms went off, everybody just started running outside,” said student Dakota Shrader. “And next thing you know, everybody looked and you hear ‘boom, boom, boom,’ and I just ran as fast as I could to the nearest floor so I could hide, and I called my mom.”
This doesn't sound like an orderly fire evacuation to me. It'll be days, if not weeks, before the facts get somewhat sorted out.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:06 AM   #24
Onward Allusion

Granted it's Royal Wedding and all, but it appears that coverage on this is fading much faster than usual. I wonder why that is?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:16 AM   #25
SIGSHR

As is so often the case, we must wait for competent people to investigate. Here in Nj we just had an accident, a school bus colliding with a dump truck. Initial stories said the dump truck company-named Mendez, had a so-so safety record, repeated citations, now it seems the school bus driver was making an illegal U-turn.
Closed Thread