The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
drakecreek67

case stuck in resizing die

i just forgot to lube a case and got it stuck in a rcbs die is there any way to get it out?thanks
Old July 15, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
DeadCenter

There are various methods, using punches etc... this might be the best: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504...k-case-remover
Old July 15, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
dabluesguy

I just use a punch.
Old July 15, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
jimkim

You can make your own stuck case remover if you have the tools. http://dougsmessageboards.proboards....ay&thread=2353
Old July 15, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
maggys drawers

Put the die in the freezer overnight. Steel and brass have different expansion/contraction rates- it may pull right out tomorrow morning.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
hk33ka1

I did this when I started with a .30-06 case. Ordering an RCBS stuck case remover was a week or two away. I found the method jimkim posted on Surplus Rifles old site and used it. Bought a drill bit and tap and used a bolt washer and old socket to pull the case. I had no luck with freezing the die/case.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:43 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

What cartridge are we talking about?

If a bottleneck cartridge, did you have the expander/decapper in the die?

How far into the die is it stuck? (Half way, all the way, etc.)
Old July 15, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8
dacaur

Ive tried the freezer trick twice, and all I got out of it was some surface rust on my dies.... If you try it, dont try it in a deep freeze, make sure its in a frost free.... I have seen this "trick" posted numerous times, but I dont recall ever seeing anyone posting that it actually worked for them.

The second time I tried it, it wasn't even a case of a "stuck" case. I had just run the case into the die with the wrong shellholder, (9mm case, .308 win shelholder) so the case stayed in the die when the ram came down.... freezer trick didnt work there, so i dont really see how it could work on a truly "stuck" case... btw, I got it out by putting the die back in the press, raise ram to meet case, and slide shelholder into ram and over rim at the same time, done.

The drill and tap method is easy and worked for me, if you have access to a tap and matching bolt you are golden, otherwise a kit can be bought for $15 and includes a drill bit, tap, bolt, and a thing for the bolt to pull against to get it out... well worth having on hand IMO...
Old July 16, 2012, 07:02 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
I just use a punch.
That is an option if you can get the decaping/neck expanding button out of the die. However, with most brands of full-length, bottle-neck dies, the expanding button will be trapped in the die, albeit can be unscrewed far enough to use a stuck case remover or the equivalent home-made device.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
F. Guffey

These matters do not lock me up, I do not insist on a 1/4” tap and die, the case head of a 30/06 type is .470, the 3/8” tap and die is .375, the sizer ball plug for the 30/06 is .307 – a little? What all this means if the primer punch/neck expander ball/plug is in the way, drill the case head primer pocket/flash hole out and screw the primer punch/sizer plug out the bottom of the die..

I use the press as a stuck case holder for the die, I screw the die in from the bottom, secure the die to the press then drill and tap, there is not shortage of drills and taps.

In the puller, I do not turn the puller, I place a nut on the puller, hold the puller and turn the nut, this method makes for straight pulling.

F. Guffey
Old July 16, 2012, 01:48 PM   #11
drakecreek67

Its .223 and its stuck all the way.thanks for the replies
Old July 16, 2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Arizona Smithshooter

Just curious what lube you were using? The only time I have gotten a .223 case stuck was when I used the Hornady One Shot lube in the spray can. I tried the Dillon lube but found it a bit messy and the Imperial Sizing Die wax too slow...went back to my RCBS lube and pad and never had another problem. I also think cleaning the cases first is a big help in not getting one stuck.

I also screwed up the die by trying to remove the case and just "bit the bullet" so to speak and bought a new die.
Old July 16, 2012, 06:12 PM   #13
David Bachelder

"i just forgot to lube a case and got it stuck in a rcbs die is there any way to get it out?thanks"

No lube.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:44 PM   #14
dacaur

^^^ lol, nice....

Any luck yet? Have you decided what method you are going to try?
Old July 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

If the expander/decapper was in the die, your only reasonable options are:
1. Drill, tap, and pull with what you have available; or use a stuck case remover kit.
2. Send it to RCBS with $7 (or whatever the current fee is). You'll get the die back in about 7-10 days.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:04 PM   #16
biganimal

buy a can of KROIL put some in the die wait a few minutes then it will come out