The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2000, 09:52 PM   #1
EQUALIZER

Not sure if this belongs more here or in accessories, but I need some advice.
Of course the red dot optics are common for ipsc, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for putting a crosshair scope on their 1911 for hunting, ie. whitetail. Think it would be good for handgun hunting out to MAYBE 70 yds. with 45 Super or 460 Rowland depending on what I decide upon. If so, what kind of mounts, frame modification and scope would be good? Would like to use a frame mount, but concerned about the looks of the holes since this my plan is to have a highly accurate presentation grade carry gun, but will probably bite the bullet on that; because I'm afraid the grip mount will vibrate with follow up shots.
BTW, this seems like it would be one of the best ways in which to deturmine the accuracy potential of the firearm and do some fun, long range pepper poppers n silloettes.?...

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ
Old April 9, 2000, 11:24 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Equalizer, there are several good mounts on the market. Weigand and C-More are probably the best. Any that will handle Weaver type rings will work just fine. I prefer the straddle type to the under-the-grip models. George
Old April 10, 2000, 02:48 PM   #3
EQUALIZER

Thanks a lot George,

I'll go with one of those. The grip mount type doesn't sound as stable. I'll just try to find good flat head screws to fill the unsightly holes left in the dust cover when the mount is removed.

Now I need to find a reasonably priced bright, adjustable scope.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ