The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 4, 2000, 10:11 PM   #1
45acp

George,
I have always been a big fan of stainless guns. But, now I have a problem , I finally have the dough to buy a fine 1911 and want a Les Baer. I talked to Les and he recommended blued. I respect his opinion but like the look of stainless. I was told that stainless would gaul therefore, it cannot be machined as tight. I know I'm rambling but, I need help. Will the fit of a Les Baer stainless verses blued be that different? I hope you can shed some light on my situation here. Les also said, that the stainless was not as strong as carbon steel. By the way, I shoot ipsc and would use this gun mainly for target and an occasional single stack match.
Old April 5, 2000, 07:32 AM   #2
faiello5

You can buy the blue and then have it hard chromed.

Frank

Old April 5, 2000, 11:22 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

45acp, I have to agree with him. Another consideration is that in the event you want modifications down the road most smiths will charge a little more to fit stainless than CM steel. George
Old April 5, 2000, 09:57 PM   #4
45dude

45acp,
If I were going to use it for strictly target use I would go with the blue gun to get the last little bit of accuracy.YOU could hard chrome it and still have the accuracy if you want a silver finish.You could also send it out and have NP3 applied it is silver colored. Once it's broken in the stainless loses much of it's tendency to gall and it will still have plenty of accuracy most any shooting disipline.Hope this helps.

45DUDE