The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 25, 2019, 10:52 PM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

To highlight Zukiphile’s point, many people considered the “sunset” provision of the 1994 ban to be a betrayal by NRA. Those people believe that without a sunset provision, enough legislators would have refused to vote for the bill.

Knowing what I know now, I think that would be a really foolish bet to take. I’d bet that the bill would have passed just fine and we’d still be worrying about whether or not the muzzle device on our rifles was a “flash hider” or “muzzle brake.’
Old May 25, 2019, 10:55 PM   #27
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Which is what Bill Ruger tried to do and has been vilified by the under informed for it, ever since, and still is, despite his passing many years ago.

People "blame" him for proposing a 10rnd limit, wrongly thinking that various congressmen hadn't thought of a mag capacity limit beforehand. They had, and they were locked in an argument amongst themselves whether the limit should be 7 rounds, or 6!!! It was a political certainty that something was going to be passed. Ruger's 10rnd suggestion gave them something they would agree on, so the limit wasn't even LESS!!

So, yes, there have been times when someone on "our" side does toss a baby off the sleigh to slow the wolves. We should have to, but until such time as either the wolves go away or we're allowed to shoot them, what else is to be done??
that sounds an awful lot like death by a thousand cuts but at least we get to pick the knife used.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:45 PM   #28
Bartholomew Roberts

Talking with legislators, they get a feeling they need to “do something” to win the approval of voters back home. If enough of them feel that way, gun control is going to pass whether you like it or not.

At that point, you want to do what you can to protect law-abiding citizens and let the politician look like he is supporting what the people back home want.

This is a huge reason why we must stay engaged and communicative with our elected representatives. I’ve worked in both federal and state governments as a lawyer and I know what it looks like to see the sausage being made. I’ve sat in a room with a U.S. Congressman I totally believed was our hero and was just brutally disabused of that notion. He has still remained a stalwart 2A defender though... not because he gives a crap about it but because he thinks he needs to do that to get reelected - and he does need to do that as the people of his district regularly remind him.

Having worked in that system, I can understand why people do not feel like their opinion matters. They don’t get feedback, so they don’t know. But, their opinion is SO important.
Old May 26, 2019, 07:50 AM   #29
USNRet93

Quote:
not because he gives a crap about it but because he thinks he needs to do that to get reelected - and he does need to do that as the people of his district regularly remind him.
Common thread that applies to just about everybody in congress and in the WH..unfortunately..zero 'courage of their convictions'..IMHO..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 26, 2019, 02:13 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Quote:
Talking with legislators, they get a feeling they need to “do something” to win the approval of voters back home.
Not just gun control, they think that they must pass laws to be seen as doing their jobs. So many laws are oppressive or ineffective, I think that legislative gridlock is the preferred condition.