The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2015, 07:37 AM   #51
Road_Clam

Regardless of which progressive press I choose, I will always want the capability to revert back to my tried and true Rock Chucker single. I resize once fired 7.62 NATO machine gun brass , .300 win mag , and I convert 30-06 brass to 8mm mauser. These tasks take a BEEFY and rigid press setup, there is NO way IMO these tasks will be efficiently handled on a turret press... "maybe" the Redding T7 but definitely not a press like the LEE classic turret.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:50 AM   #52
jmorris

I reload 7.62 "machine gun" brass on my progressives. Doesn't feel any different than brass out of a bolt action with the lube I use.
Old August 23, 2015, 10:09 AM   #53
F. Guffey

Quote:
These tasks take a BEEFY and rigid press setup
I have a Herter turret press, when forming cases it is an option, I also have the 2 ram Herter, when forming it is a better option.

Quote:
I reload 7.62 "machine gun" brass on my progressives. Doesn't feel any different than brass out of a bolt action with the lube I use.
Like jmorris, I use a no-name lube and I do not find it necessary to use a small base die. Again, I had a Model 70 Winchester with a 300 Win Mag chamber, it had the ugliest chamber I have ever seen. Again, we had words. sizing the cases fired in the Model 70 was impossible. I have 300 Win Mag dies, I have BAR 300 Win Mag dies etc., nothing worked. I wanted a chamber that fit my dies or Winchester dies that fit there chamber. They sent the rifle back in a new box.

F. Guffey
Old August 23, 2015, 11:01 AM   #54
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris
I bought about 300 once fired LC NATO M/G brass and I'm using standard RCBS dies and they are a royal PIA to size the first time. I now anneal the brass and use a liberal amount of Imperial wax and it still takes a fair amount of effort to get them sized. Once I size them thereafter the NATO brass sizes much more easy. Maybe I just got a batch of very stubborn brass...
Old August 23, 2015, 11:28 AM   #55
F. Guffey

I was asked to help a prolific reloader/builder. He was in mortal combat with his press, sizing die, shell holder and brass. My opinion, if there was a way to destroy a press he would be very good at it.

He had the additional turns of the die down pat, he was using a big cam over press, meaning he was not using a rock Chucker. I measured the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder, the gap was .017". There is no one here that understand that but I had to add the cam over to the .017".

He will not consider using my no-name lube so? He uses Imperial or Dillon and that is it. It would have been easier for me to take his cases with me but he wanted the cases sized 'rat now'. I did get him to consider changes to his methods and techniques.

F. Guffey
Old August 23, 2015, 02:58 PM   #56
jmorris

The brass that comes out of my belt fed 308 gets treated the same as the brass that comes out of a bolt action.

I use Dillon size dies and Dillon lube.

Works once fired or 10x's fired.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:54 PM   #57
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Clam in post 51
NO way IMO these tasks will be efficiently handled on a turret press... "maybe" the Redding T7 but definitely not a press like the LEE classic turret.
You point is well made. RockChucker, Redding Big Boss, Kee Classic Cast Single Stage (or any press made to work the 50 BMG, with the adapters for standard die threads).

But I commend you to not give short shrift to the Lee Classic Turret for less strenuous tasks than swaging, forming and such. Yes the Lee bottom end is not nearly as highly leveraged as your other mentions. If you want that amount of force available to you, neither Lee Turret will do for you.

Lost Sheep
Old August 24, 2015, 04:56 AM   #58
Road_Clam

I did a lot of reading up on the D550 , the LNL , and the LEE CT , and I think the LEE CT will suit my needs well, it's a smallish package, will have no problem loading up a occasional larger 100-200 ct lot of .223 or .40S&W and the cost is minimal. I'm fairly certain that my RC single will still be the predominant press in action for my uses. Thanks to all for all your experienced inputs , it's a great thing when you enter a situation that you don't know much about and after much unbiased feedback you draw a comfortable conclusion..
Old August 26, 2015, 04:15 AM   #59
Road_Clam

Well just a follow up, I scored a really sweet LEE Classic Turret kit used with a lot of extra goodies for $190 shipped off another site. Had not planned on buying yet but this seems to be a good deal, so made an offer and poof done deal ! I already have all the necessary dies and shell holders so this is a quick transition to get me loading larger lots of .223, .040 S&W and 460 S&W.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_114/1...=bottom#bottom

Next is to fab some type of "QD" type mount plate. I'll bump this thread as I make progress, I have a few ideas on a mount..

Last edited by Road_Clam; August 26, 2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old August 26, 2015, 01:27 PM   #60
trixter

The Lee Classic Cast turret Press is a great reloading machine. I used one for 4 years for 45ACP and 223/556. Then I decided that 4 strokes per round could be bettered. I invested in an RCBS Pro 2000. what a great press. I struggled a little with the primer strips until I learned the secret of how to load the strips with primers properly. Now I have no more troubles with them. Now 1 stroke, 1 finished round. I am a happy camper, I just wonder why no one else has discovered the RCBS Pro 2000" I know they have come out with a new press, so the Pro 2000 can be picked inexpensively.

Talk to someone who has one and I think you will get a positive response.
Old August 27, 2015, 04:01 PM   #61
Real Gun

The Pro2000 was never competitively priced. RCBS was recommended to me in the beginning, but I couldn't wrap my mind around what that was going to cost. Now however, I am interested in the new conventional design machines with more stations. Waiting for availability and confidence in a case feeder to go with it.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:56 PM   #62
stubbicatt

Road Clam, I have used many brands of progressive press. Pacific (predecessor to the Hornady) Lee, and Dillon. It is hard to stomach the additional cost, but the Dillon 650 is hard to beat. The 650 is pretty near trouble free, in my experience. The 1050 is even better, but at a higher cost. I can't say the same for the others I have tried.

A wise man once said, "the quality of a tool is remembered long after price is forgotten."
Old August 27, 2015, 07:18 PM   #63
Road_Clam

stubbiatt , I ruled out the 650 long time ago, that premium press is geared towards the high volume pistol / AR shooter who can also dedicate a permanent location. Neither of those fit my criteria, I need a compact press.
Old August 27, 2015, 09:15 PM   #64
jmorris

I think he just read the topic, not your post that said you would be happy with 100 rounds in 2 hours.