The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 26, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Blue Duck

Defensive Cane vs. Knife, when you are restricted

I am a gun guy, and I have had a CCW for many years, but I will have to fly to a distant large city for a convention. I don't want to have to go through the gun checking process to send one in my baggage.

I do want some kind of edge over bare hands, and so I am considering bringing a combat cane, because I understand that I can carry it on the plane with little problem and at 57 yrs old, and a little overweight, I would not look out of place with the cane.

I know I can also carry about any kind of knife below 5 inches in blade length, and I think I can just add that to checked baggage, and if it's stolen it would not be that big a lose.

In an altercation I know just enough about the cane to hopefully defend myself against a knife or other weapon below a gun, anyway I was just wondering if this subject had been addressed here before, and what would be your thoughts.
Old October 26, 2014, 07:32 PM   #2
HiBC

Obviously,the thing to do is fit the cane with a bayonet lug.......

Just kidding.

Nobody will arrest you for a cane.Knives?Depends on local laws.

Are you skilled?

Canes don't beat people,people beat people.

But,I do have a bad knee,and I may take up carrying a stick,myself.
Old October 26, 2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Mastrogiacomo

Like this?

http://bigstickcombat.com/posts/real...ippine-ambush/

I studied Arnis and attended more than one seminar by Remy Presas. It's your best deal for having an undercover weapon so to speak. It's also a far better option against a knife than your bare hands or harsh language....

I think if you do a search you can find one that's all wood, but this one below is just an option I've seen.

http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/SwordCane.html

Here's the wood version:

http://www.blackbeltshop.com/combat_cane.htm

http://www.vintageglassbottleantique...arts-cane.html

http://www.canemasters.com/

Laura

Last edited by Mastrogiacomo; October 26, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old October 26, 2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Mobuck

I carry a Cold Steel polymer walking stick when I go across the river(Mississippi). Being 62 with a small/medium build and a slight limp pretty much covers my "need" for the stick.
Old October 26, 2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Model12Win

Check this out:

http://www.canemasters.com/index.php...age=page&id=65

I highly recommend a tactical combat cane and also a lesson on it's proper use. Not only does it beat the tac knife in everyday defensive use, but also the firearm in places where they aren't alowwed.
Old October 27, 2014, 01:53 AM   #6
raimius

Both?

Having options is good, as long as you know which one to select.
Old October 27, 2014, 06:59 AM   #7
OldMarksman
Staff

Three things to consider:
  1. a cane is already in hand, reducing reaction time;
  2. a cane can strike at greater distance, keeping an assailant farther away; and
  3. the cane has an obvious deterrent effect that a concealed knife does not have.
Old October 27, 2014, 07:10 AM   #8
skoro

Defensive Cane vs. Knife, when you are restricted

As luck would have it, I have family in three of the most restricted cities in the country: NYC, DC and Chicago. While I enjoy visiting all three places, I have recently gotten a hickory cane and spent some time learning some defensive applications with it. I'll be taking it to NYC for Thanksgiving.

As I see it, something is much better than nothing.
Old October 27, 2014, 01:54 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

As one fat older guy to another, a fat, old guy with a cane is an easy target to most ne'er do wells. A fat old guy with a stick who carries himself like he owns the place is not.
"...a tactical combat cane..." Only 'tactical' if it's black with Velcro. $189.99 for a stick? I'm doing something wrong.
A sword cane very likely can and would get you arrested in places that don't allow concealed weapons.
Old October 27, 2014, 03:09 PM   #10
SIGSHR

I recommend a crook top over a walking stick, you can use it for sweeps. Another thing with the defensive use of a cane is to strike low, below the waist. Knock your opponent off his feet, get him on the ground. Practice blocks, and practice with both hands.
Old October 27, 2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

I've gone to nongun cities for business. Your best weapons will be avoidance and appropriate attitude so that you do not portray yourself as a victim.

You might check if your target city allows OC sprays. That's better than a close in fight.

Interesting issue - does a cane signal victimhood? While you might then switch into cane-fu - wouldn't it be better not to get into a close in fight?
Old October 27, 2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Hook686

I think some jurisdictions consider a cane to be a baton and are illegal as such. If you look like you need a cane, you probably will not be confronted by the minions of the law. However if you actually end up using it you might be prudent to have your doctors opinion that an cane would help your mobility in your medical records.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:07 PM   #13
subhuman

A cane is a fine weapon if you can use it, I prefer the straight stick with a ball for a hand hold, you can slash and stab with it, trap and lock joints out with it and in close reverse it and short punch with the ball, Get one learn how to use it and keep it with you, EDC just like your gun.

Last edited by subhuman; October 28, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old October 27, 2014, 09:44 PM   #14
michael t

I got a 1 1/8" oak hook cane . unfinished for like 12 bucks . No need to spend big money for a cane I can trim end of hook and finish why I like

I think those combat canes are a waste of money
Old October 27, 2014, 10:18 PM   #15
Dragline45

Unless you are well trained with a blade I would opt for the cane. It allows you to keep distance where a knife you would need to get in close at what I like to call bad breath distance.
Old October 28, 2014, 02:45 AM   #16
Hook686

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A.../CS91PBS-2.jpg

Irish Blackthorn walking stick

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed copyrighted material.
Old October 28, 2014, 02:32 PM   #17
Brit

Bought one of those Irish canes (Too heavy!) my City Stick is light, and quick.

The most devastating strike, a Bayonet strike to the sternum!

Slashes, drop your hand down from the top, 14"?Hands and arms ..OUCH!
Old October 28, 2014, 08:50 PM   #18
Blue Duck

I have owned one of those Canemaster canes for years. Mostly used it to work cattle with. Its poked and whacked a many of a cow. I ended up giving it to my dad for his woods walks over the farm hillsides.

I have recently ordered another one from Canemaster's. It's a one of the Cane Ja street models but with a bird's head grip instead of the chisel point, and I went with the heavier 1-1/8 inch diameter. It's Hickory, which I think it a little less prone to breakage then Oak, although I have another cattle working stick that is oak and it's held up good.
Old October 29, 2014, 09:24 AM   #19
Madcap_Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Duck
It's Hickory, which I think it a little less prone to breakage then Oak, although I have another cattle working stick that is oak and it's held up good.
Oak makes a very heavy stick, but in my experience it is also a slow one. I really like hickory for sticks and canes, it seems to be just as strong but much faster in hand.
Old October 29, 2014, 06:22 PM   #20
Blue Duck

Actually, I think Hickory is stronger then Oak.
Old October 30, 2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Mobuck

Just my perception(and what I was told by an old guy who came from a tough area): that hook on the cane should always stay on YOUR end. Giving up grip advantage is bad and may allow the other guy to take the tool away from you. For this reason, I'd not recommend using the "heavy end" of a cane or walking stick for striking. My Cold Steel has a heavy head/grip but I intend to keep it in MY hands. In addition, using the head may be perceived as "using a club" in an altercation by a court.
Once in my life, I used a 4' walking stick against a knife wielding aggressor. Within seconds, he was on his knees with a broken fore arm and I was cocked for the headshot when conscience stopped the swing.
Old October 30, 2014, 07:39 AM   #22
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Just my perception(and what I was told by an old guy who came from a tough area): that hook on the cane should always stay on YOUR end. Giving up grip advantage is bad and may allow the other guy to take the tool away from you. For this reason, I'd not recommend using the "heavy end" of a cane or walking stick for striking.
The advantage of the crook type cane, according to those who provide training for using a cane for self defense, is that the hook can be used to keep the arm with the hand that holds the knife from being used and to take an assailant down by hooking it on the neck.

I once heard Mas Ayoob recommend canes with a Derby handle, probably for the same reason.

The hook is not on "my end" or his--one wields the cane with both hands.

I do not have a crook-type cane. I have a couple of Derby handled canes, and a couple of (real) Blackthorns with knobby handles.
Old October 30, 2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Mobuck

"The advantage of the crook type cane, according to those who provide training for using a cane for self defense, is that the hook can be used to keep the arm with the hand that holds the knife from being used and to take an assailant down by hooking it on the neck.

I once heard Mas Ayoob recommend canes with a Derby handle, probably for the same reason.

The hook is not on "my end" or his--one wields the cane with both hands"

In too many cases, the "training" is based on the assumption of fairly equal strength between combatants or at least, adequate strength on the part of the cane wielder to maintain control/possession of the cane. Many older folks lack that strength and need the advantage to prevent losing their stick.
And, yes, when swinging the cane as a club, there is a "my end".
Old October 30, 2014, 01:42 PM   #24
skoro

What I like about my crook cane is that if I'm stopped and need to use both hands for something, I don't need to look for something to lean the cane against. I just loop the crook over my off arm and let it hang. Keeps it immediately available, too.
Old October 30, 2014, 02:48 PM   #25
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
And, yes, when swinging the cane as a club, there is a "my end".
I do not see "swinging the cane as a club" as a prudent or effective defensive technique--at all.

Rather, I would use the thing as a pool cue to the solar plexus, or as a hook to the arm to keep an attacker from using his weapon, or to pull on the neck or the backs of the knees.

I would be much more inclined to do something along these lines. Yes, the instructor is a strong, fit expert, and I'm 70 and not fit. No, I'm not likely to be attacked by a martial arts student. But I would likely use the same techniques against a thug with a knife at a gas station. Notice that he does not swing the cane like a club, and that he uses the crook with effect.

Here's something by Ayoob.